(Archived) Extreme Processor Usage on Evernote Mac on "Thumbnailer"

jfwarrior

Idea

There is extreme processor usage on Evernote Mac with "Thumbnailer" using roughly 90-96% CPU for extended periods of time. Is this really necessary, and what does Thumbnailer do that requires such processing power? It's increasing the RPM of my fan from 2500 to 4200...

Screenshot2010-11-18at114406PM.png

6 replies to this idea

The Thumbnailer takes notes and tries to turn them into the small previews you see in the "thumbnail" and "hybrid" modes. It does this in advance so that the interface is fast when you're accessing them.

Do you have PDF documents in your account? We have found a handful of PDFs that basically crush OS X if you try to access them using the built-in Mac PDF support. If you save these same PDFs to the desktop, open them in Preview, and try to search within the PDF, you'll see OS X grind and frequently crash Preview.

We've tried to work around these problems to prevent Evernote from dying badly with these rogue PDFs, but that's my best guess about what's happening on your system.

The Thumbnailer takes notes and tries to turn them into the small previews you see in the "thumbnail" and "hybrid" modes. It does this in advance so that the interface is fast when you're accessing them.

Do you have PDF documents in your account? We have found a handful of PDFs that basically crush OS X if you try to access them using the built-in Mac PDF support. If you save these same PDFs to the desktop, open them in Preview, and try to search within the PDF, you'll see OS X grind and frequently crash Preview.

We've tried to work around these problems to prevent Evernote from dying badly with these rogue PDFs, but that's my best guess about what's happening on your system.

I think I was clipping a few websites with the Chrome Web Clipper. Suddenly, the fans started spinning up rapidly and I saw Thumbnailer using 90%≤ processing power of my CPU. Perhaps it's because my processor is the older ones, so the newer Macs might not be affected. (Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz)

Surprisingly, there was no problem with Thumbnailer when I was viewing PDFs.

If the web clips were of a particularly complex web page (with lots of images, tables, CSS, etc.), then the rendering could be expensive, but I wouldn't expect that to last for more than a few seconds.

If the web clips were of a particularly complex web page (with lots of images, tables, CSS, etc.), then the rendering could be expensive, but I wouldn't expect that to last for more than a few seconds.

Hmmm... That's a bit odd. Usually lasts more than a few minutes - Again, could be my bad processor that's doing this. I can "pause" Thumbnailer by force quitting Evernote, but it comes back in when Evernote is relaunched.

Same problem for me. I ve upgraded to Evernote 2.0 and since then thumbnailer uses 95% CPU constantly. Evernote is actually blocked trying to generate a thumbnail image. It is blocked for a specific document (10 out of 605 in my case). Do you guys have a solution for this?

Thanks,

Manuel

Archived