Add Custom Template to Favorites

DevDude90

Idea

17 replies to this idea

Yes! I need to be able to apply a custom template to all new notes in a certain notebook, or at least have the shortcut right there when the note is created. I have a template I use everyday to structure my workflow and it's a waste of time sorting through the templates to apply it.

• Like 3

Seriously who is the product owner for features?  Recommended templates might serve as a good source of inspiration, but more likely users will personalize/customize their own and those are the ones we want to have quick access.

This is an obvious one that needed to be prioritized since the feature went live.  

• Like 3
3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

For whatever reason you are only offered templates created by EN - maybe because they are coded in the background for the AI to select some.

You've said on a couple of occassions that EN use AI to select relevant notes to be added. What's your evidence that we don't all just have the ability to add the 8 notes that EN have decided, in their infinite wisdom, are most important.

image.png.7b2c46b91249dd3e69f0b56d05e8fd7c.png

image.png.11013e34548e4bec8a98912172f61dde.png

• Level 5

Correct - it is a dumb selection only. Dumb because I can’t select some of my own.

Funny side aspect: In the preview it shows all in English. When I apply it, it turns into the native language. Some details are different as well.

As an example the table in the weekly planner uses a different color for every day, looking at the preview. When I apply it, it is all in dull grey.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Of which feature ?

When I get at templates on my Mac (EN 10.27) in a new note, it remembers where I have been when I left it the last time.

If the last view was my own template page, it will open this selection again when I click on "Open Gallery ...". 

On 12/24/2021 at 1:41 AM, PinkElephant said:

Of which feature ?

When I get at templates on my Mac (EN 10.27) in a new note, it remembers where I have been when I left it the last time.

If the last view was my own template page, it will open this selection again when I click on "Open Gallery ...". 

But I don't want to have to click "Open Gallery...", I want to be able to add my own Favourite templates to the list. I agree with the comment above that it feels like the product owner for Evernote doesn't use templates, or doesn't use the product at all.

• Like 1
On 10/15/2021 at 7:59 PM, PinkElephant said:

Very simple:

Place a „template“ note in your shortcuts. To create your daily note, create a duplicate of this note. It will even be placed by default in the same notebook, and carry the same tags as the Blueprint note.

This may be simple however it's frustrating to have to hack together what should be a common sense use case. Duplication isn't the same as Create New in the mind so it takes habit forming just to adopt this hack. And granted I'm still getting familiar to EN again but why can't I even access the template gallery without having to go through a new note? 

I would also jump at the chance to customize a notebook to have it's new notes follow a selected template (my own specifically.) Could also be as powerful to customize the main picklist of options (i.e. + > Note | Task | Sketch etc) to instantly create from a favorite template without starting from blank and requiring another click (or several as this thread highlights to use a custom template.) 

• Like 1

Another vote to be able to do this. I really would like to be able to have my own created templates available as part of my favourites. Yes, you can duplicate your template into an original note but the ability to add to your favourites would make what could be a great feature actually useful. 

• Level 5

You probably noticed that the templates are only accessible through a new, virgin note.

It is the same as in Word, Pages, Excel, Numbers , PowerPoint and all that programs, where you go through the "Create New Document..." dialogue to then pick a template, and open a document based on it. Because many people like to simply create an empty note, it is better to first create that note, and then apply a template to it. This way the "empty" template is the one that is used in a one click solution.

Sure, you can ask for any change her. I just want to raise my voice that in my opinion such a change is not necessary and would contradict informal but widespread UI conventions.

22 hours ago, Cavan Scott said:

Another vote to be able to do this. I really would like to be able to have my own created templates available as part of my favourites. Yes, you can duplicate your template into an original note but the ability to add to your favourites would make what could be a great feature actually useful. 

I agree completely that we should be able to choose the templates that appear in the new note and can therefore be added easily. We can't even use the entire EN library but only a selected few.

Which leads me to why use the template system at all? Save your "template" as an ordinary note and then make it a shortcut. You can then right click the shortcut, choose duplicate and you are good to go.

• Like 3

Would be much better to be able to add custom templates to the ones suggested when a new note is created.

Yes, having a "template" note in the notebook that you can duplicate when needed works fine - but since template suggestions are present when creating a new note, I feel being able to add your own would be a natural feature to have.

• Like 1