Sync Issues and Web frontend goes through all my notes when logging on after a while

Dietrich

Idea

Hi Evernote team, I logged onto the web frontend today to quickly find a note, but after I logged on I had to wait for literally minutes before I could even see newer notes. During this process notes I created month ago kept appearing in the list of notes and then disappeared again. In the end, it came to a halt, but it does not show my recent notes.

I sort for "Date updated" or "Date created", but I am not seeing a good week of notes.

The notes are there on Mac and Windows clients.

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  First,  we're not 'Evernote Team',  we're mainly other users - if you want to raise a support ticket,  subscribers can raise support queries here - https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new and Free users here - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps

The Web client is downloaded in real time to your browser,  hence the rapid updating;  but a slow internet connection or local traffic might mean that getting the list of notes fully up to date might take a while - maybe worth leaving Evernote active in a browser window as soon as you boot up your device.

The local clients save notes on your hard drive in case you need to work offline,  so don't have the connection issue - or at least can minimise the effects.

Legacy option:  If this is an issue for you,  you could install the Legacy version,  which will work alongside the new v10 and save to the same database.  That maintains a full database copy on your hard drive.  To switch Evernote web versions,  see the Settings options online.  https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

First, thanks for clarifying that this is not Evernote support.

Secondly, in recent times I am astonished time after time, how weird one can build an application (be it Evernote client or webapp). Why would a web application download all my notes? That is like login to your email provider's web frontend and it would download all my emails. Are you telling me that Evernote web app loads all my notes onto... where? my browser? I cannot believe this. It would mean that if I open Evernote on my mobile it would suck empty my data plan in no time? Very strange.

Anyway, opened a support ticket. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

More clarifying - the web client has to download an up to date search index plus the rest of the coding behind a browser-based note application,  plus (probably) some recently changed notes in hopes of saving download times later.  Your mobile app will do pretty much the same thing. The full database of notes will remain on the server,  and a working copy gets downloaded to any desktop devices when they are activated.

However:  Support will be able to read your logs and work out what's happening with your connection. Please let us know if there's anything interesting!