Latest update not working.

I downloaded 10.20 this morning and opened it, i noticed tasks was not working so restarted the app, now all I get is a white screen.  Not sure whats gone wrong but wanted to flag this up incase others are having the same issue.  I will use OneNote today as I dont have the time to toy around with the app to get it to work, tomorrow is another day, maybe.

• Level 5

No known issue, the forum does not have significant 10.20 traffic. 

Looks like a bad install. Use a tool like Revo Uninstaller to purge all program parts and data. Switch off security software.

Then download again from the EN website, and install. Good luck !

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

No known issue, the forum does not have significant 10.20 traffic. 

Looks like a bad install. Use a tool like Revo Uninstaller to purge all program parts and data. Switch off security software.

Then download again from the EN website, and install. Good luck !

Thanks, I couldnt see anything similar on the forum either.  I will leave it for now and hope whatever is going on resolves itself - have a whack load I need to get on with so will use onenote for now and hope whatever is going on fixes itself.  

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, WilliamL said:

Thanks, I couldnt see anything similar on the forum either.  I will leave it for now and hope whatever is going on resolves itself - have a whack load I need to get on with so will use onenote for now and hope whatever is going on fixes itself.  

I can see why you'd leave it for now.  If you want to get this fixed the uninstall/reinstall stuff is likely the only way.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, SomewhatPresent said:

I didn't clean the registry or anything...

There's a reason that was part of the suggested process.  Revo Uninstaller Free will remove everything from your device to allow a completely clean install.

• Like 1

Tried the Revo Uninstaller Free... it doesn't find Evernote as a program to uninstall. Windows uninstall followed by a reinstall still doesn't work. I get the following message: 'Something went wrong on our end, sorry about that. Please try restarting Evernote.' Followed by an option to quit or restart. neither of those options has changed the situation.

23 hours ago, SomewhatPresent said:

I uninstalled it and reinstalled it.  I didn't clean the registry or anything, but, still no tasks.  When i select "task" it just has a loading circle.

This is the issue i was having too, the app is now opening but tasks still does as you describe.  In the end I decided enough was enough, I don't need an service in which who knows which parts will work on any given day.  I have backed EN10 and still think its the right call but the glitches on top of stripping it back when I feared my account was breached have taken me to the point that I just don't have a use for the app now.  Today I cancelled my subscription. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
7 minutes ago, WilliamL said:

I don't need an service in which who knows which parts will work on any given day.

I'd think every Windows app that updates has - on occasion - had that one case where a glitch in the connection,  or a corrupted file has stopped the update from working.  This is a standard risk of using a computer and is fixed by 10 minutes maintenance,  not a sign that Evernote is a lost cause.  However;  your choice.

I too am having tasks problem suddenly this morning. I've turned it off and on. Don't have lots of time to mess with it today, so will hope it works out. It's a shame it's such a neat feature, but may be hitting glitches. Wish there was something else besides uninstall to fix it. Am going to try restarting my computer just for fun.

6 hours ago, gazumped said:

I'd think every Windows app that updates has - on occasion - had that one case where a glitch in the connection,  or a corrupted file has stopped the update from working.  This is a standard risk of using a computer and is fixed by 10 minutes maintenance,  not a sign that Evernote is a lost cause.  However;  your choice.

I’m sure that’s the case. When I contrast EN as I’m experiencing it just now with the stability of OneNote there is no comparison. Yes I have to use an additional task manager and lose templates and the search I really enjoy, but I need it to work better than this. Tasks isn’t new, neither is home, both have been out for long enough that stability should be a given. 

I’ll keep an eye out for how things develop, as I said EN10 I am rooting for, but I need it to be more consistent. Hopefully that comes and as it evolves a new use case opens for me in the future. 

• Level 5
9 hours ago, lighthearted1 said:

I too am having tasks problem suddenly this morning. I've turned it off and on. Don't have lots of time to mess with it today, so will hope it works out. It's a shame it's such a neat feature, but may be hitting glitches. Wish there was something else besides uninstall to fix it. Am going to try restarting my computer just for fun.

You can try this

1. Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
  2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Sign back in to Evernote

I installed 10.21.5 update when prompted that a new update was available.  Since then, Evernote crashes upon launch.  Uninstall/reinstall did not resolve the issue.

981505748_Evernotcrashesuponlaunchafterupdateto10_21.5.png.450e891039202c7e9359a23d6e280205.png

Additionally, after installation, Evernote caused Windows to reboot every 5 - 15 minutes.  No dialogs, no warnings, just a blank screen reboot.  The reboots stopped after uninstalling Evernote.

Edit: Final uninstall included manually cleaning everything Evernote from the registry.  After the Programs and Features uninstall, Windows was still unstable, which led me to scrubbing the registry.  Windows (10 20H2) has been stable since.

• Level 5

Something is wrong (big surprise).

You need to clean the whole EN installation, and start fresh.

Get an Uninstaller app (Revo Uninstaller has a good forum reputation), use it to uninstall EN. Remove all parts of it !

Then make a new install from the EN website.

After installing, log in and wait until the initial sync has run through.

On 9/8/2021 at 11:00 AM, gazumped said:

There's a reason that was part of the suggested process.  Revo Uninstaller Free will remove everything from your device to allow a completely clean install.

I'm familiar with the process.  I'm just tired of my computer being a hobby that I have to fix all the time just to be able to use it.  I used to enjoy, tweaking my upper and lower ram, trying linux distros, reformatting just to have a fresh start, trying new software.  I've gotten good use out of BC Uninstaller, which wipes the registry entries left behind.  I just used the web version for now.

I need something that works when I need it.  SAAS is like using a pen that has to refill itself every time you pick it up (install updates), and then figure out which end it's going to write out of today and by that time, I've forgotten what I was going to do in the first place and have had to move on to the next thing.

I've ridden along with the improvements and in concept they are great.  In practice, watching that green circle going around the elephant when all I want to do is type in a note, or add a task makes Evernote worthless for replacing anything.  I loaded Minimalist and it just works.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
9 hours ago, SomewhatPresent said:

I want to do is type in a note, or add a task makes Evernote worthless for replacing anything.

Sympathies - I come from a database management background,  so have patience with the work involved in maintaining a lot of records,  so maybe my tolerance is unusually high;  but I'm currently in the throes of writing a post about a two-tier note system that I'm now using.  I have Workflowy as a 'short' notes / links / to-do repository,  with Evernote for the more detailed stuff.  Works for me,  as minimalist does for you.  Whatever gets the job done!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
10 hours ago, Joseph_72 said:

The task window issue is reported by several users, including myself, in this forum.

? And your point is?  It's been mentioned here a few times,  but is not the subject of this thread;  also we're not Support.  If the suggestions here don't help,  please ask Evernote Support direct.

• Level 5

Nobody will say that EN v10 is bug free. And a forum is a place where users may go to report problems, and maybe find solutions or workarounds.

This means as well a forum is usually not the place where people go just to tell everything is great. So the perception of the forum users mood may be misleading about the general mood about a product or service.

We have mentioned options to solve problems above. These are "condensed" forum experience. Sometimes EN support does come along with something additional, or they can place an issue on the backlog.

From my experience something may go wrong with an update. So fine, remove it all (ALL !), install again, log in, wait for the initial sync to happen (!) -  usually this fixes the illness. If there is a repetitive problem, I would assume something is wrong on that computer. Maybe a piece of security software that interferes with the installer, maybe a missing or outdated component of the OS, maybe whatever. Then reinstalling will not do the job, no surprise.

But this is then a job for experts, not for fellow users.

On 9/19/2021 at 1:53 PM, gazumped said:

? And your point is?  It's been mentioned here a few times,  but is not the subject of this thread;  also we're not Support.  If the suggestions here don't help,  please ask Evernote Support direct.

It was the original reason I started this thread, tasks were not working so his point isn’t unreasonable, tasks still aren’t. As of tonight tho I’ll not know as my subscription expires tonight. I hope Evernote improve the quality of their updates so they fix more bugs than they create. 

• Evernote Expert
40 minutes ago, WilliamL said:

It was the original reason I started this thread, tasks were not working so his point isn’t unreasonable, tasks still aren’t.

For you... Many users are successfuly using tasks. As already noted, a support ticket would be the way forward.

• Confused 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, teresacuervo said:

I changed computers and wanted to download on my new computer and it did not allow me to. I am using the app for windows and its not allowing me to encrypt a note. Is that feature gone to all devices? I was able to do it on my desktop app before. 

Hi.  Did you manage to download the app to your new computer?  If it is installed and working,  you should be able to encrypt text - Encrypt text in a note

• Level 5
2 hours ago, teresacuervo said:

I changed computers and wanted to download on my new computer and it did not allow me to. I am using the app for windows and its not allowing me to encrypt a note. Is that feature gone to all devices? I was able to do it on my desktop app before. 

If you want to encrypt text, make sure it is completely free of formatting. Even a bullet point can prevent that you can use the encryption tool.

On 9/18/2021 at 9:13 PM, SomewhatPresent said:

I'm familiar with the process.  I'm just tired of my computer being a hobby that I have to fix all the time just to be able to use it.  I used to enjoy, tweaking my upper and lower ram, trying linux distros, reformatting just to have a fresh start, trying new software.  I've gotten good use out of BC Uninstaller, which wipes the registry entries left behind.  I just used the web version for now.

I need something that works when I need it.  SAAS is like using a pen that has to refill itself every time you pick it up (install updates), and then figure out which end it's going to write out of today and by that time, I've forgotten what I was going to do in the first place and have had to move on to the next thing.

I've ridden along with the improvements and in concept they are great.  In practice, watching that green circle going around the elephant when all I want to do is type in a note, or add a task makes Evernote worthless for replacing anything.  I loaded Minimalist and it just works.

So, I finally took the time.  I used BC Uninstaller to uninstall Evernote and deleted all the registry entries left behind.  It works now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2