Tasks not loading in my Win10 desktop, "content not supported" on the Web app

This just started last night.  But persists this morning.

When I click on Tasks on the left side-bar, the Tasks panel appears, with its usual headings, but all I get is a spinning green circle which goes on forever. 

When I checked on the Web app, all of my Tasks appear as a white space with the caption "Content not supported".  I will  uninstall and reload the app on my Win10 desktop, as a first attempt to solve.

Any other information on this?

I have uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled 10.20.4. I still do not have tasks on the Windows 10 app or on the web app on chrome. On the Windows 10 app, clicking on Tasks only gets a spinning circle. On the web app, I get this message where I have a task on a note:

"This block is a placeholder for Tasks, which has been officially released on the newest version of Evernote and is no longer supported on this version. Deleting or moving this block may cause unexpected behavior in newer versions of Evernote."

This behavior began with the update to 10.20.4. Tasks were working on the Windows app prior to that update.

Uninstalling, re-installing did not help.  Same problem still on the desktop app.  10.20.4. (2893).

The Tasks do show up inside my notes on my desktop app, and seem to be working normally inside of the notes. 

Hope this can get fixed soon.

• Level 5

On the web client:

Go to account information. There make sure you use the new editor/client, not the classical one 

Go to personal settings. Make sure the checkmark is set on using the v10+ version.

Tasks require the latest software, on the web client as on desktop.

On desktop when already fully updated (currently 10.20.4) try this:

1. Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
  2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Sign back in to Evernote

Pink Elephant.  Thank you!  The web client looks just like my desktop now!  Home button and everything.  Thank you for pointing out that setting.  I had no idea.

I am waiting for Evernote to restart on my desktop and I am noticing in the Task Manager there are 5 Evernote icons all cycling through the CPU and memory, but it is yet to pop open on my screen.  I had it set to load on startup and I have also clicked the app icon in the Windows Start menu.  Any idea why it is taking so long to load?

I do not have a solid-state drive (I have one sitting in my drawer ready to install but I never get the time to make sure I know what I am doing before I try installing it).

Thanks again for the help with the web client.  Once I have Evernote on my desktop I will give you an update

Pink Elephant.  All good now.

Curiously when Evernote started back up I was signed in and Tasks were working just fine.  Not sure what happened.  (I know that I deleted my data because I went to empty my recycle bin and my Evernote data file was the only file in there).

But everything is working again, so that is great. Thanks for your help!

• Level 5

Glad I could help.

About the SSD: Basically you need a 100% copy of what is on your system drive to install it. On the Mac there is the app CarbonCopyCloner for this job.

On Windows there are several alternatives, see this article: https://windowsradar.com/carbon-copy-cloner-windows-alternatives/

Often the SSD supplier offers an own program to make the move (Samsung does for sure). It is easier to do if it is a desktop. They usually have space to install more drives. Just install the SSD as an additional drive, and use one of the tools to move your data.

If you can't install the SSD as additional drive, just get an SSD housing with USB controller, or a SATA-Adapter (if it is a SATA SSD), put the SSD on it, connect it to the computer and let the tool do the cloning.

When done, shut down the PC, open it, remove the old drive, install the SSD in its place, and restart. If it works, stay with it. If not, simply reinstall the old drive again.

In this case, or if you don't feel good about opening your own computer, I would hire a local PC service to do the move for me.

• Level 5

Just to warn you about it: The last time I did it was in 2015 (worked), and I didn't touch it ever since. But it really makes a huge difference if you still run a spinning drive as your system drive.

On my MacBook Pro Apple had the courtesy to solder in all components, so I am not in danger to try the switch again. Beside this, the SSD in this beast is so fast you could nearly take it for RAM. It is sort of a 2TB RAM drive, whoa 🤯 

Nice.  Ram drive.   hahaha.  Reminds me of some software I installed in the 80's that would swap data from the region of RAM btwn 640k and 1m down into the 640k region so it could be manipulated.

Thanks for your help with Evernote.  Invaluable.

• Thanks 1

hahaha.  For sure.  If we could have seen ads back then for the current machines -  8 gigs of memory, 2T SSD storage, 4k resolution - in a laptop for <$1,500.  Hahaha.  We would not have believed it and a whole bunch of hardware companies would have folded their tents right then and there.

Thanks again for your help.  Much appreciated.

• Like 1