make internal links searchable

Suraj51

Idea

While inserting link give option to insert internal link along with external. with internal link option give possible search results that go along with keywords. this will save efforts to manually copy the internal link and then paste it to the note.

• Like 1

5 replies to this idea

To make myself clear, I was talking about linking a note to other note in faster way. 

Option provided by Evernote to do so, is to copy internal link of the note and then manually paste it to note which is being edited.  This process is bit time consuming.

What I expect from developers is to simplify this process and make it more flexible

It could be done in following ways

1. Modifying the existing “link” feature 

In above query i was talking about “insert link” tab while editing the “XYZ” note.  It would be easy if internal link (of note) itself was searchable and could be added to the “XYZ” note.

2. Adding new feature

2.1 Backlinking Apps like obsidian provide such linking in simple way. Just typing [[XYZ]]. As you type It will either find the note that resembles the header or it creates new note inside the “XYZ” note. Now the new note is a linked with back-link which makes navigation easy.

2.2 block level references : If we could only add reference or excerpt/paragraph from “abc” to “XYZ” note then it would provide much more precision to search & interlinking. This is especially helpful if “abc” note has lots of information. 

I have tried obsidian and these feature seem to be very useful and fast in terms of search, interlinking and navigation.

it would be very helpful if Evernote introduces these features. 

• Like 1

The backlinking feature is the #1 thing for me in Obisidian. The overall use case is not just for documentation but for learning. As you build your own notes and link, then you build your own personal knowledge graph which can be represented visually in a directed graph. 

I'm sure Evernote has smart people working there. When are they going to implement this or perhaps they are too bogged down organizationally for whatever reason. 

• Level 5

There was an app "Bubble browser" that visualized relations between EN notes. You could drill down by a click on any element to see what other notes are related to it. The graph rearranged itself after each click dynamically. It was that WOW piece of software.

Imagine what ? It failed, there was no demand for this service, even while it did not cost much.

I am not sure if PM or devs at EN are aware of this - but there is a string of apps trying to add to the EN interface, and failing. It could be this is "whatever reason" ...