Multiple account confusion adding 3rd

Go to solution Solved by DaveInPhoenix,

Multiple account confusion adding 3rd        

I want to see what need to do to add a 3rd account for hobby. I read you can have up to 5 accounts.  I have a personal that once was a Plus now personal.  I have business that is also a personal.

When I go to add an account (on Win10 app) it asks for email or username.  I enter a different username (for the hobby) and it says not a valid email address.

Ok so I try and set up a new 3rd personal account but says e-mail address is already in use.   I don't have a 3rd email to use (business has different email). 

I have very low volume and never did more than 10% of old limits. I actually gave up on EN but didn't cancel and went to another. But with the new system using EN again.

What and how is the best way - less costly since don't need all the extras to set up my hobby account so I can also have it listed along with my current personal and business account and switch to on my Win10 app.  

Thanks, confused Dave

• Level 5*
46 minutes ago, DaveInPhoenix said:

I don't have a 3rd email to use

Accounts require a unique email address    
It's very simple to go to Gmail and create the required 3rd email address

This trick might work for you    
If you're using email name@sample.com, set up the new account with name+1@sample.com   
Evernote identifies this as two different emails, but your mail service might identify a single email account

3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Accounts require a unique email address    
It's very simple to go to Gmail and create the required 3rd email address

This trick might work for you    
If you're using email name@sample.com, set up the new account with name+1@sample.com   
Evernote identifies this as two different emails, but your mail service might identify a single email account

• Level 5

The mail address is the prime identifier for an account.

If you don’t want to handle several accounts, many mail providers allow to create alias addresses that route the traffic to the main address.

Here is how for GMail and iCloud:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/22370?hl=en

https://support.apple.com/guide/icloud/use-email-aliases-mm6b1a490a/icloud

• Level 5*

Whilst it's entirely your choice and preference,  why do you need separate accounts for all this?  I have 55K notes in one account,  which covers several projects,  business and personal,  plus hobbies and other stuff.  I have a different notebook for each,  so around 300 notesbooks and a few Stacks.  It works for me.  I do have a couple of extra accounts,  but they're for testing out anything I don't want to try on my main database.

Good points - I just thought it would be easier to have seperate accounts for each type of account.  I now have about 50 notebooks in each business and personal notebooks with different topics. I have not tried stacking but recall that can work.  Nicer would be multiple folders under each primary folder and more than 1 level of subfolders like I have stuff organized on my harddrive.  I use EN more for future info I might need and reference stuff.  What I work on dailly is on hard drives.   
I especially like the web clipper and but I also use Ninja for some clippings but EN can do more than just clip it to add notes to clips etc.  I have lots of stuff to reorganize.  

I am moving towards storing personal stuff DropBox and business stuff on onedrive for ever day work.  

I like having my own web server access rather than something like Gmail.  My main e-mails of dave@davephx.com and dave@hutchisonRIA.com get about 50 incoming a day in each,and am now setting up dave@WØJKT.com (active in ham radio)

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You can easily create alias mail addresses on your own accounts with running your own server.

About having 2 accounts, there are use cases for that as well. If you start a business beside your other activities, it may make sense to have a second account, exclusively for company records. If you one day decide to sell it off, you can hand over this account, and don‘t have to worry about splitting away private information. In this case I would make sure I use a neutral business mail address to open that account, not a personal one.

Other situations may be a charity one is supporting, or a project account that will go offline when the project is done. Since EN still does not offer an archive feature, a separate account is sometimes the better way to organize things that are temporary.

In general I agree with @gazumped that it is better to keep everything in one account - but no rule without exceptions.

• Level 5*

Thanks for the additional explanation - and as I said;  it's entirely up to you how you structure your data. 

NB:  I would suggest you zap your email addresses from your post - this is a public forum and you might start getting a lot more emails if that information gets harvested from the page...

Evernote famously doesn't 'do' subfolders (sub-notebooks?) but I find that grouping notes by 'primary focus' and then tagging for sub-categories is granular enough.  Forinstance I have a notebook for one project,  and everything to do with that 'event calendar' goes there.  I prefix all my note titles with the relevant date(s) of the content,  so it  can be sorted into a timeline.  And if I have an email about my project from a company for whom I have a separate 'focus' notebook,  I'll use their notebook name as a tag instead.  For an update to the current state of the project - check that notebook.  For the state of all Acme Industries activities - search the name.  Their involvement with different projects shows up by the name of the notebook(s) containing their notes...  sounds a bit weird as I explain it,  but it's working for me!

• Like 1