Add Template to current note.

15 minutes ago, TMoore said:

I have a note that I would like to add one of my templates to.  I can't find a way unless I create a NEW note.  Ideas?

As soon as you type into the body of a note you lose the ability to add a template to it. That seems perfectly logical to me. Could you describe your use case?

I have a template for contact information.  I already have a note or I have scanned something with information in it.  I want to add the contact info using my template.

The other situation is going in and cleaning up some notes and organizing the formats better.  I have to create a new note and then copy the information into the new note.  It would be so much easier to simply add the template to the other information about the contact.

• Level 5*

What @Mike P said.  Templates are to create new notes,  not to edit existing ones.  There is an external Evernote add-in app Filterize which has 'templates' which - from my brief scan - seem to be intended to apply to existing notes.  I have no idea whether they might assist you,  but your options seem to be a purely manual conversion exercise or (maybe) a Filterize process.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You can’t make an omelette without breaking some eggs.

You can’t reset a note to a template without destroying the notes content. This is why you can use the template function only on an empty note. If you go to other programs, the use of templates works similar: You create a document from a template, and then start to fill it with content.

You may try the filterize option - give us a feedback here if it works.

OK, I accept that.  But I do think it is an improvement. I will note that if I create a new note and insert my template, I am then capable of copying it now to an old note.  Interesting that I can copy it from an old note, but cannot create it in an old note.

Thanks for the help though.

• Like 2

I have somewhat of the opposite issue. I have created a note using a template, and after entering a lot of information, I've decided I don't like the template. I would love to be able to switch back to a regular note. I understand that switching back would probably jumble the content, but at least it would be there and I could reorganize it.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Tammy819 said:

place all that information Into a regular note and remove the template.

I believe the technical response to that would be "not gonna happen".  Restyling a note requires actual user judgement at all stages.  If you want to change the layout it's better to start a new template and use that in future - just leave the old data in the old layout and use it as a look-up resource.

33 minutes ago, Tammy819 said:

somewhere behind the scenes, a magical wizardry developer formula 

I think you have answered your own question. The developers are all employed by Evernote and not Hogwarts or the Ministry of Magic. 🧹

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Mike P said:

I think you have answered your own question. The developers are all employed by Evernote and not Hogwarts or the Ministry of Magic. 🧹

Thank you. I will edit my original comment and remove my light hearted humor. There's nothing magic about coding, and this is often done in other programs when you change the format of something. At some point a developer behind the scenes has to decide how it's gonna toss that information into a new format.  It isn't always pretty. But they make it happen.  I did not intend to confuse you.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I believe the technical response to that would be "not gonna happen".  Restyling a note requires actual user judgement at all stages.  If you want to change the layout it's better to start a new template and use that in future - just leave the old data in the old layout and use it as a look-up resource.

Not a bad idea! Thanks. 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Or you could even merge the old data note with the new note which might make it easier to manually copy data between the two and make it clear it's all the same thing

6 minutes ago, Mike P said:

Or you could even merge the old data note with the new note which might make it easier to manually copy data between the two and make it clear it's all the same thing

Ooh! I like that idea.   I didn't know you could do that (merge notes).  I'll work on figuring out how to merge. That would surely make it easier to copy and paste all in the same note, if I'm understanding what you're saying correctly.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Use a desktop client. Select the first note, then select others. Holding down ctrl/cmd for individual notes, shift for a range.

Right click on one of the selected, pick merge from the little menu. New in v10: You can pick the order of the notes in the new, merged one.

There was a bug when web clipped content was in one of the merged notes, but AFAIK this is fixed.

@Mike P..  I think I just discovered why some of this is confusing for me. I figured that the "merge notes" option you suggested would be easy to figure out. But it wasn't obvious, so I searched online, only to discover that I'm trying to a lot of this stuff on the Android app, and it doesn't have full functionality! I'll try it when I'm back on a laptop. 

3 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Use a desktop client. Select the first note, then select others. Holding down ctrl/cmd for individual notes, shift for a range.

Right click on one of the selected, pick merge from the little menu. New in v10: You can pick the order of the notes in the new, merged one.

There was a bug when web clipped content was in one of the merged notes, but AFAIK this is fixed.

Thanks.  Yes, I quickly discovered that trying to work in the Android app has its limits. I just discovered I could not do the merge in Android. We were probably typing at the same time. But when I get back to the laptop that will be some useful instruction. 👍

10 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Worked well. After selecting the two notes using the CTRL key to choose, a small menu bar popped up with a merge symbol on it. I clicked that, an it worked. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
On 9/3/2021 at 2:20 PM, Mike P said:

As soon as you type into the body of a note you lose the ability to add a template to it. That seems perfectly logical to me. Could you describe your use case?

Seems perfectly IL-logical to me. Evernote specifically offers templates that are perfectly useful as just a PART of a note. The Eisenhower Matrix is something I have on screen at the moment.

It's perfectly logical that  one should be perfectly able to insert a template that is a table, or a checklist, or whatever, into an exsting note, and there is every reason why that would be useful.

14 minutes ago, MCShults said:

It's perfectly logical that  one should be perfectly able to insert a template that is a table, or a checklist, or whatever, into an exsting note, and there is every reason why that would be useful.

We are in danger of arguing over semantics but I don't think this is technically a template. The Oxford English Dictionary defines a template as 

image.png.2ff97c90af324b2d88d0e11ea4cffc9b.png

I agree that being able to store tables, checklists etc and then copy them into a note would be useful. Personally I have a reference note with some of those things in and I just copy and paste as necessary.