Tags not working correctly

I have a client who is tagging notes and yet the notes are not appearing in her designated tag. What is very odd is that the note does show up with the appropriate tag on the web client and on her iphone, but not on her two macs. Is this a known bug of some sort and/or does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve the problem?

Thank you!

15 minutes ago, shekala said:

I have a client who is tagging notes and yet the notes are not appearing in her designated tag. What is very odd is that the note does show up with the appropriate tag on the web client and on her iphone, but not on her two macs. Is this a known bug of some sort and/or does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve the problem?

Thank you!

Sounds like a syncing problem. I assume she is filtering (e.g. clicking the tag in sidebar) for the tag. I expect if she searched for the tag (tag:tagname) she would find it. In the sektop clients filtering happens locally while search is done on the server. In mobile and web everything is on the server.

If she has only just started using the V10 desktop app it will probably right itself in time as the data is downloaded. If she has been using it for a while she will probably need to force a resync, There are some suggestions here: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313378-Tips-for-troubleshooting-syncing-issues 

Personally I would do the following:

• Like 2

wow, thank you for the prompt and thorough reply. I truly appreciate it and will implement your suggestions immediately.

When, oh when, will Evernote get stable again? They keep adding new features whereas I suspect most of  us would prefer they bring the current program back up to where it should be in terms of operability. Heck, my screen updates are so slow that it is infuriating. They had promised this was the year everything would work again...less then 120 days to go!

Thanks again.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike - so, I followed your advice and it worked, but unfortunately I just heard back from the client and the same problem has reappeared on one of her laptops. I had her sign out and log back in again, but it didn't resolve the problem for that device. Any suggestions? Is there a known syncing issue with Macs?

I'm not aware of any specific issues with macs. I think all desktop systems are effected in the same way. I think I've already given you all the tricks I know. I wouldn't expect it to keep happening though. Is there anything special about this particular laptop? I have a laptop I don't use very often for EN and when I do open EN it takes some time to completely update although it gets there in the end.

• Level 5

Did you follow these steps ?

1. Go to the Evernote menu, Preferences, and uncheck „Keep data when leaving“
  2. Log out of EN (File menu), quit EN (cmd-q)
  3. If you want to be very sure, restart the Mac
  4. Open EN, log back in, wait for it to run an initial sync. 
  • 2 months later...
  • Level 5

Is the tag there when you look it up manually  in the note ?

In general since search is server based, it may take a little to integrate new stuff into the index. If it was added just now, I would wait a little. For me it usually takes a few minutes until indexing is done. But this as well depends on server workload, maintenance and other issues. If I still can’t find it after 24hrs, I would start to be concerned.

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Is the tag there when you look it up manually  in the note ?

In general since search is server based, it may take a little to integrate new stuff into the index. If it was added just now, I would wait a little. For me it usually takes a few minutes until indexing is done. But this as well depends on server workload, maintenance and other issues. If I still can’t find it after 24hrs, I would start to be concerned.

Yes, the tag is there. I've been using EN for over 10 years and waiting 24 hours for it to sync is not something I've ever had to do. I guess this is all part of the recent evolution of EN. I posted a few times about other issues when this whole massive change started and the app seemed to be unwinding but I gave up posting and just hoped for the best. I've got over a decade of data in EN and the thought of finding a substitute is just mind-boggling. I am grateful for the 8-9 years that the app was stupendous and the changes were thoughtful and improved the product. Now it's just sad. I am just hoping it doesn't completely implode.

• Level 5

I didn’t say it would be normal that it takes 24hrs. It needs to index everything before search can find it. My experience is that nearly always this happens within of a few seconds.

Even OCR happens very fast - this was always on the server, and my feeling is it is much faster today than it used to be.

Building the search index is AFAIK server driven, and on a server things can happen. These rare events are corrected, either by automatic routines, or by operator action. This is why I say „wait for 24 hrs“, not as a rule that it usually takes that long. But to avoid creating work for myself for a problem that usually fixes itself.

Is search now working for the tag you added ?

• 5 months later...
On 11/12/2021 at 3:47 PM, gophigure said:

I am having the exact same issue with Evernote Web. I put a tag on the note, it shows up on the note as tagged, but when I search for that tag, the new note is not showing up. 

Today is May 5, 2022.  I have the same problem on the Windows 10 desktop Evernote 10.36.4.

When I click on "Tags", then click on a names tag I get zero results.

This does not happen on the Web version.

Looks like this has not been fixed for  LONG TIME. 

• Level 5

It works on the Mac client (in the end this is the Mac subforum): Open Tags on the side bar, click on any tag. Over the middle panel the Tag appears in a blue button to show the selected tag, beside it appear more tags in white as possible additional filters. The number of notes with that tag appears, and the note list is filled with the notes carrying that tag.

It works the same on the web client. So I doubt it does not work on Windows.

It may be your local database took a hit, and the index is damaged. You can try this (on a PC) to rebuild the local database:

1. Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
  2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Sign back in to Evernote