Moving tasks between notes

ianfusa

• Level 5

Go to task view. When you hover with a mouse over a task, a square of 4 dots show in front of the tasks text.

This is a handle. Move the mouse over it, click and drag to the note where you want to move it.

Alternatively click on the task. A window with the tasks details open. Way down is the note in which the task is located. Behind the notes name is a green symbol. Click it to move the task to another note.

A task must always rest inside of a note. There are no tasks without an embedding note.

• 8 months later...
  • Level 5

Then you do one thing, and I do another.

When you go to the Tasks section, tab "Notes" and hover over a task, the 4dot-handle appears. grab the task now and move it to another note.

The task MOVES, which means it is taken from the old location and placed into the new one.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

This does not seem to work for me.    

The cursor changes to appear as though the task will be added to the new note... but when I release the mouse button, nothing happens. Task remains in old note.

Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong...

Task function is very useful, but unfortunately also very buggy. For me it seems that moving a task to a new note only works properly when moving from the default task note ("Things to do"). In other cases it often either just makes a copy, or leaves an empty task behind 😕

en-empty-task.png

1 hour ago, MHef said:

This does not seem to work for me.    

The cursor changes to appear as though the task will be added to the new note... but when I release the mouse button, nothing happens. Task remains in old note.

Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong...

Are you doing it from the 'Notes' tab in Tasks and moving it from one note in the list to another note in the list, like Pink mentioned -- like this?

image.png.0adbb632758b8f041d0f6832bbc64d35.png

17 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

Are you doing it from the 'Notes' tab in Tasks and moving it from one note in the list to another note in the list, like Pink mentioned -- like this?

image.png.0adbb632758b8f041d0f6832bbc64d35.png

This is only useful when you have just a very few notes with tasks (all tasks visible).

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, janndk said:

This is only useful when you have just a very few notes with tasks (all tasks visible).

Yes - that is true (and I nice way to phrase it too), but it's the way Pink was describing to do it to which I assumed Mhef was replying/asking since it was the comment right after.

OP's question was pretty generic in that "Is it possible to move a task from one note to another note?".

There are two ways that I know of to 'move' a task.

1. The way suggested that you pointed out is useful in rare cases.
  2. The way @bmcl26 shows which seems to me to be the most useful way to move a task.

Dragging a task from one note (in a new window) to another note (in a new window) copies the task but doesn't move it so you have to then delete the source task manually (which btw is what I generally do vs the move #2 way above)... (and I don't generally get an empty task left behind, but I've seen empty tasks a few times and I wonder now if it's coming from that or something like that.)