Import Folders MacOS Not Working

I was very keen to see the addition of Import Folders into Evernote having lost AppleScript support.

However, my excitement has dwindled as it does not work. So, I created a folder to use as my import folder and followed the preferences in Evernote to 'connect a folder' which showed up in the table so all looked good. I moved a PDF file into this folder and hooray, it imported into Evernote. Ok, it did not delete the file, but I note that this should be coming soon!

After this it all goes wrong. Any further file I put into this folder just remains there, Evernote does not recognise this new file. Put some more files in there, nothing. Went to preferences and attempted to re-connect to the folder and BAM, they all import once more. Then it reverts to not importing anything again.

So presently, the process of using an Import Folder is pointless - might just as well manually drag/drop or create new note and attach the file.

I have either missed a step or no-one appears to be using this new feature as I cannot find answers out there.

I hope there's a fix...

• Level 5*

Hi.  The quick and easy fix would appear to be to install Legacy,  since that's the type of folder (with deletions) that I'm currently -and happily- using.  Applescript is also back on the menu (so to speak).

Others,  I believe,  are using the new folders without problem,  so you appear to have a local issue rather that a bug.  That said,  can you confirm your device,  plus OS and Evernote versions?  It would be worth removing the current import folders,  restarting your system,  and setting up a test additional folder before going further;  and just in case - if you're a subscriber,  reach out to Support.  https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new

Create import folders

Thank you gazumped. I have been using legacy for some time due to support for AppleScript. I had hoped the Import Folders feature would help me move over fully to Evernote 10 (currently using 10.20.4). I am on MacOS 11.5.2 on a Mac Mini M1 - I do try and keep as up to date as possible!

I have tried different folders, restarting, even re-installing all with the same issue. I will reach out to support (I have to admit not finding this so thanks for the link!).

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have reported this 'bug' as I still have a problem. After I posted my original post, I did remove all the import folders, restated everything and set up a new import folder. It worked... for a few weeks in fact... but now its ignoring the folder once more.  I continue to use the same apps and follow a similar workflow and I keep my Mac Mini M1 powered up on a UPS all the time with Evernote app running. If I try to connect to the same folder again using preferences (says I'm already connected), any files are imported immediately - then it goes back to not working again. Lets hope that the problem is found and fixed to smooth out this irritation!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 9/2/2021 at 1:36 AM, jread said:

was very keen to see the addition of Import Folders into Evernote having lost AppleScript support.

Folder actions still works

• 3 weeks later...

I too was experiencing the exact same experience as jread. I reached out to Evernote support (twice) and did not receive a reply. Nice one guys. I tried PinkElephant's suggestion and it appears to work...so far. 

The import folder for MacOS really needs resolving and refined by now i.e. reliability of import plus ability to choose which notebook to import into each time plus trash the file once imported. Hello Evernote dev team??

• Level 5

Import folders are a fast way to import - no notebook selection, no tagging, no dialogue boxes. Just drag & drop, done.

If you need it, create an import notebook, link an import folder to it and do the naming & sorting there. Just as good as doing it on the folders itself, much less interruptive.

Deleting: WTF - once in a month open the Import folder, select all, move to trash. Or create yourself an Automator procedure or AppleScript that does the job - no need to wait for any devs. Hello user - DIY 🛠️ 🪚 .

Yes yes, sounds very spiffy but the reason we all spend money subscribing to these products/online services, is to be productive and save our valuable time leveraging off the efficiencies technology is supposed to provide us with. Apparently Windows users had/have all this functionality. Why not Mac users?

I understand what you are suggesting to get to the outcome. I just don't agree with the formula. No biggy. A minor inconvenience. Thanks for the reply PinkElephant. 

• Like 1

I have got import folders working once again, been working now for about 4 weeks (touch wood). No idea why, just performed complete reset and re-linked the import folder.

Since the EN v10 changes I’ve been looking at alternatives. Having spent a lot of time and money in the Apple ecosystem the Notes app has started to look appealing given it’s included. If it ever had a better method to export notes and attachments…? Evernote needs to work and offer more to justify the subscription.

• Level 5

It all depends on your use cases.

It is quite easy to do a selection: If you are already using a solution, compare it to alternatives (most have trials, a few free plans), compare it to not using an app at all. Build a ranking, with one simple rule: No double placements, if undecided flip a coin.

Then eliminate all but the Top 3 or Top 5, and start digging deeper. Eliminate those with hidden Knock-out factors. For me not being able to leave an app is such a factor, thus Apple Notes got dropped from my list, although we have an Apple-only  ecosystem. Estimate the cost / effort needed to switch, if another app makes 1st rank than the one you are using.

The last step is to see if the efficiency gained is worth the price. Done.

For me EN is still the best solution, and being it worth the money.

You can repeat this procedure every X years - but you drive yourself nuts if you do it all the time, trying to hunt for goodies („Oh, these guys have released a new feature“). You end up with a zoo of fragmented apps, useful for nothing.