Keyboard shortcut don't work

Keyboard shortcuts don't seem to work in many cases. For example, CTRL-ALT-\ is supposed to set the focus to the note list (a feature I missed dearly in earlier versions) but does nothing. CTR-ALT-1 opens home, but CTRL-ALT-2 (notes, supposedly) again does nothing. Or do I misunderstand what these shortcuts are supposed to do?

1 hour ago, Rense said:

CTRL-ALT-\ is supposed to set the focus to the note list

It works for me but doesn't look as though it has worked! If I am editing a note I would expect a blue box to appear around the current note and the edit menu to disappear. I don't get that but pressing the arrow keys moves me through the note list not through the current note.

1 hour ago, Rense said:

but CTRL-ALT-2 (notes, supposedly) again does nothing

Not had that problem. Sometimes keyboard shortcuts are verycontect specific but it seems to work for me wherever I am (notebook, editing a note, search result)

1 hour ago, Mike P said:

It works for me but doesn't look as though it has worked! If I am editing a note I would expect a blue box to appear around the current note and the edit menu to disappear. I don't get that but pressing the arrow keys moves me through the note list not through the current note.

Thanks, but that's not what happens in my case. When I'm editing a note, CTRL-ALT-\ actually inserts a special character. From other context, nothing happens and I cannot move around in the note list after I pressed this shortcut. I tried replacing the shortcut with another (CTRL-SHIFT-\) that is not already linked to a special character but that does not change the focus either.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

Here's a guess... Are you using a non-English language/keyboard in Windows? If so, try switching to an English keyboard in Windows. That may work.  My guess is that this is a Windows keyboard language issue conflicting with Evernote.

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert
17 hours ago, somewhere2go said:

Many of the shortcuts don't work.

Can't say what might be the issue in MacOS.  Users in the Mac forums might be able to say. Often, in Windows, the non-working shortcuts are conflicting with either an OS level keyboard setting or with a shortcut created by another program.

• Level 5

On the Mac it usually is a shortcut conflict.

There are several that are reserved by the OS. Others can be checked in the Macs settings, tab keyboard. Of course there are other apps as well that install their own shortcuts, so it is sometimes a little try and error to find out.

In EN the shortcuts can be edited, on the Mac the upper part of them. When you open the Shortcuts sidebar (symbol down beside the help button in the left sidebar) and hover with the mouse over a shortcut, 3 dots appear in front of that shortcut. The option to change it is in that little menu.