Possible Web Clipper issue?

Go to solution Solved by MattSM,

First of all, apologies--I'm not sure I'm getting the names for the various features right. I'm using Evernote on iOS 11.5.2 (Big Sur).

On my screen (Safari browser), there are two "elephant" buttons that allow me to clip whatever I like from my screen. There's a green elephant next to my URL line that is the actual web clipper (only clipping what is displayed within the browser window), and at the top bar of my screen (same line as date, time, battery level, File, Edit, View, etc.), there's a white elephant, which is another sort of clipper, but one that I use much more, because it allows me to select anything on the entire screen (not just within a browser).

Since a couple of days, this no longer works. I got a message telling me to enable it in my Privacy settings, which I think I did, but it still doesn't work.

Could anyone help?

• Level 5

Both icons are not related:

The little black/white one in the Menu bar is the EN helper. It should always be there when the app is running.

The  little green one in the browser is the WebClipper icon. It belongs to the browser extension and shows when the browser is open and the extension is installed.

Why the menu bar helper disappeared on your Mac: No idea. I checked my Privacy settings - did not find the helper there, and it works for me.

Maybe try to log out of your EN account in the File menu, quit the EN App (cmd-q), then restart the Mac. Open EN and log back in. Sometimes this helps.

Many thanks, PinkElephant. (Thanks also for the correction in terminology--noted!)

I tried those steps you suggested, and after logging back in, when clicking on the EN helper, it does either of two things:

1. It just gives the options "Sign in to Evernote" and "Quit Evernote"...even though I've already logged back in
  2. It gives the regular options of "Clip full screen" and "Click rectangle or window", but it doesn't clip my selection; instead, it just returns a black window, or some pre-formatted image.

In the meantime, I found some similar issues on another forum thread (here), so perhaps the EN helper tends to be a bit wonky, and it'll be resolved in due course.

Thanks anyway!

• Level 5

In fact there was something about allowing the screen capture in the privacy settings.

As I said, I have none of it, and it works.

What you could try: Open the Macs system settings, security, tab privacy. Search the „Screen Recording“ option. Click on the lock bottom left, unlock the settings. You need Admin credentials to be allowed to unlock it. Under the window with existing settings, there is a „+“. Click it.

A Finder style windows opens with your Applications folder. Look up the Evernote app, click it. This should install the permission in the list. If it still is unchecked, check it. Click on the lock again to save the change, exit system settings.

Working now ? If not, restart the Mac once. Working ?

• Solution
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Open the Macs system settings, security, tab privacy. Search the „Screen Recording“ option. Click on the lock bottom left, unlock the settings. You need Admin credentials to be allowed to unlock it. Under the window with existing settings, there is a „+“. Click it.

Ab👏so👏lute👏ly perfect

It was the "Screen Recording" option. I wasn't even aware of this option, but somehow over the past couple of days, it became unclicked.

Thank you so much!

• Like 1