With paid Evernote does it do OCR on Local Notebooks?

• Level 5*

The OCR process is a server function; notes have to be uploaded to the server    

btw  The latest Evernote product (v10) no longer supports Local Notebooks   
         The Evernote Legacy product still supports Local Notebooks

17 hours ago, DTLow said:

btw  The latest Evernote product (v10) no longer supports Local Notebooks   
         The Evernote Legacy product still supports Local Notebooks

Is this also true for mobile? I'm frequently in locations with no internet access (no phone service at all), if I cannot have my notes locally on the phone, they are completely unavailable (not good!).

Side question (as I'm searching for the answer elsewhere on the forums): is it still possible to go back to the 'Legacy Version'? I bookmarked the directions on how to do it and now that I'm on a new computer (& need the directions), it appears that the thread has been deleted.

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, RL7836 said:

Is this also true for mobile? I'm frequently in locations with no internet access (no phone service at all), if I cannot have my notes locally on the phone, they are completely unavailable (not good!).

Offline Notebooks are supported for all devices      
The data is stored on the server, with a copy maintained on the device

This is different than Local Notebooks where the data is not stored on the server

• Level 5

Just a hint: Currently search on mobile does not work in attachments. Even if a pdf is completely readable (OCRed, by EN or by another service; or by creation), it’s content is not searched.

This was confirmed to me by EN on my support ticket - no time until a fix known.

I regard this as a severe shortcoming for any offline use of the mobile client.

4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Just a hint: Currently search on mobile does not work in attachments. Even if a pdf is completely readable (OCRed, by EN or by another service; or by creation), it’s content is not searched.

This was confirmed to me by EN on my support ticket - no time until a fix known.

I regard this as a severe shortcoming for any offline use of the mobile client.

Is this just for offline use or is this in all of the mobile apps?

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, RL7836 said:

Side question (as I'm searching for the answer elsewhere on the forums): is it still possible to go back to the 'Legacy Version'? I bookmarked the directions on how to do it and now that I'm on a new computer (& need the directions), it appears that the thread has been deleted.

Find 6.25.1 on FileHippo.   

• Level 5
8 hours ago, csinars said:

Is this just for offline use or is this in all of the mobile apps?

Just when using it offline, on downloaded content (mobile app/ settings/ notebooks/ offline notebooks). Online it searches on the server, no issue then.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5
7 hours ago, DTLow said:

The official Windows/Mac Legacy Version can be installed from https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

Just to mention it: Content in local notebooks will not be OCRed. OCR is a server based service.

For local notes you need to OCR it yourself before uploading a pdf to EN.

• Like 1