A question about Legacy. (Well, more than one.)

1. Does anyone know with a high degree of certainty, does Legacy first talk to the Evernote Servers before it starts actually running? (I.e. If the server is down, will it still run?)

2. Does anyone know if Legacy has a built in expiration date? (Like the various versions of Quicken do.)

3. Does anyone know if Evernote could--if they wanted to--disable the copy of Legacy sitting on an end user machine?

Thanks!

• Level 5*
38 minutes ago, TheMagicWombat said:

1. Does anyone know with a high degree of certainty, does Legacy first talk to the Evernote Servers before it starts actually running? (I.e. If the server is down, will it still run?)

The app "talks to the Evernote servers" on login; discovered when trying to login while offline
I avoid this by never logging out of my Evernote account 

The  app will run while offline, or the servers are down

>>2. Does anyone know if Legacy has a built in expiration date?

afaik  There is no "built in" expiration date    
However, there's no software updates so the app will be eventually killed by OS updates

>>3. Does anyone know if Evernote could--if they wanted to--disable the copy of Legacy sitting on an end user machine?

Unknown, but if used offline there will be no chance of being disabled

56 minutes ago, DTLow said:

afaik  There is no "built in" expiration date    
However, there's no software updates so the app will be eventually killed by OS updates

That is tolerable. All that means is in the future as OS versions change will be forced to eventually migrate.

I just HATE software with built in expiration dates. The day I found out the hard way that Quicken had one in ALL versions of their software, I switched over to MoneyDance.

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

The app "talks to the Evernote servers" on login; discovered when trying to login while offline
I avoid this by never logging out of my Evernote account 

UGH! That means that if the Evernote servers go down, and you have until your next power cycle to use Legacy, and not any longer. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

One can use the offline data through the client (in both legacy and v10) as long as there is a „last“ online login saved on the computer. Offline can be accessed several times, I know of no limit.

Only when actively logging out when being online, later offline access is not allowed. Legacy always build the local database. In v10 the option „Keep data when leaving“ must be set to create the local copy.