Application crashing when using right click inside a note - version 10.20.4

Just tried out but I am still having the same issues  😔 There are a few notes which are particularly long which always fail. Short notes and new notes will work. Sadly, this long notes are the main reason why I used evernote. I most likely will have to migrate to Notion or some other notetaking app. 

• Evernote Expert

I can imagine how fristrating this issue must be. However, it isn't something that is being reported by other users and I definitely have not experienced the issue.

@PinkElephant has suggested the Sign Out | Remove my Evernote data approach.  A little more radical is:

• Sign Out
  • Uninstall Evernote
  • With Windows File Explorer delete the local Evernote data directory which you'll find at %AppData%\Evernote
  • Reinstall Evernote and log back in.  It will take a few minutes to rebuild your Evernote data from the cloud.

This may give you a solution. Since this is an unusual issue the next step would probably be to raise a support ticket - assuming that you have a paid subscription.

• Ex Employees

On 8/31/2021 at 12:06 AM, Juan Antonio Barragan said:

Just tried out but I am still having the same issues  😔 There are a few notes which are particularly long which always fail. Short notes and new notes will work. Sadly, this long notes are the main reason why I used evernote. I most likely will have to migrate to Notion or some other notetaking app. 

We're working on a fix for the crashes triggered by right-clicking in the note. I'll reply here once it's resolved. In the meantime disabling check spelling while typing should help mitigate this problem. Select: Tools > Preferences > Check spelling while typing to disable it. Thanks for your patience while we work on a fix. 

• Like 2

@Austin G thanks for that temporary solution. This has been the only solution that has helped. I can live for a little bit  without the spelling checker. A million times better than having evernote crash everytime I right click in a note. I would appreciate if you can let me know as soon as this issue has been resolved. 

Thanks, 

• 1 month later...

For the record, I have the same problem. Sometimes even with quite small notes. Disabling spell check didn't seem to help, but since I was trying to use it to encrypt text, I looked up the shortcut key and found CTRL+SHIFT+x. That circumvents the problem satisfactorily. I suppose most of the other options in the right-click menu can be handled the same way.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Hmmmm - on which version are you running ?

BTW, I should be clearer about what happens. The subject here says "application crashing". In my case, that's somewhat inaccurate: the note in the main window freezes, but the menus are still available, and I can open the note in a new window and edit it. My impression is that the application just takes a long time, sometimes minutes, to get around to showing the right-click menu. And in the meantime, there's nothing I can do in the current view of the note.

• Level 5

Can't reproduce this behavior (Tested for crashing ...) . Probably something is wrong with the installation. You can try if this helps:

1. Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
  2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Sign back in to Evernote

Else there is a complete uninstall - use a tool like Revo Uninstaller to clean every trace of EN. Then restart, reinstall, log in.

Or ask support. Or - if you can live with it - just let it be as it is, and wait if it improves with more updates.
51 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Can't reproduce this behavior (Tested for crashing ...) . Probably something is wrong with the installation. You can try if this helps:

1. Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.
  2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Sign back in to Evernote

Else there is a complete uninstall - use a tool like Revo Uninstaller to clean every trace of EN. Then restart, reinstall, log in.

Or ask support. Or - if you can live with it - just let it be as it is, and wait if it improves with more updates.

I already tried the steps above, and I can live with it. As for the complete uninstall, I might try that at some point, but I don't have much faith in that, since the application has had similar tendencies ever since I switched from Mac to Windows a few months ago.

• Level 5

Maybe that’s what causes the problem - Windowphobia 🧑🏻‍💻 

In general Windows relies a lot on that monster registry. Often only a complete uninstall can reset it for an app. This is why on Windows a complete uninstall is sometimes the only cure.

MacOS (being an „Unixoid“ operating system, like Linux or Android) is much cleaner in how it sets things up internally.