No multiple widgets or Boolean for Personal plan - C'mon...really?!

dvollc
Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

Idea

I am a huge Evernote fan.  I have been using it for a number of years.  I have thousands of notes used for a wide range of purposes.  However, I must admit that I am annoyed by the fact that my Personal plan limits my widgets to one.

Why is it that Evernote Marketing decided that a personal use of their product does not need to have multiple filtered notes, pinned notes or scratch pad widgets?  Or that a personal user does not need to use Boolean terms to refine search results?

I get the separation with Professional users with connectivity to 3rd party collaboration tools and even advanced PDF integration (e.g. exporting).  However, no multiple widgets or Boolean?  C’mon.  Really?

• Like 1

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5
  • Solution

You use the search syntax, open for all accounts.

Examples (type what is in between the <  > )

<cat dog> is equal to     cat AND dog

<any: cat dog> is equal to     cat OR dog

<cat -dog> is equal to      cat NOT dog 

This is EN standard and exists since a very long time. It even got better now with the CONTAINS command.

When you hit Enter, it works as an interpreter, reading and executing the term left to right. It is possible to build longer expressions, but not very complex ones:

<stack:personal tag:2019 contains:fileimage any: cat dog>

will find any note with cat or dog (or both), containing an image file, tagged with „2019“ in any notebook in the Personal stack.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Yes, really.

And if it would have learned how to cook coffee, it would be „only decaf“ for Personal as well …

In the end they invested tons of dev hours into all that new features. And if nobody mentioned it yet: EN is not a charity. So they did what anybody would do: Put interesting stuff into each of the bundles.

The main question for me is: Do I really NEED it ? My answer: I am doing fine with Personal. And I brew my own coffee, the real thing.

Your snide comment aside, I more than get the invested hours as I have lived in that a world for a number of years.  And I have no idea why you think my comment implies EN is a charity.

My whining attitude was to simply have someone in product management scratch their chin when looking at their feature/function list across plans.

• Level 5

I doubt PM ever reads the forum (at least this would explain why we have voting threads closing a thousand votes, and still no action taken).

If you want to get something on the desk of PM, use the feedback function build into the client. They promised to read it all - no responses.

If I were not a user as any, and had a say in marketing, this is what I would probably do:

• Keep the Free account just below being a full solution, but attractive enough for people to join
  • Hold some juicy features that sound nice (like boolean search) back for the top subscription level, to make people sign up.

Oooops - isn't that what is happening ?

Tell you a secret about boolean search: All users have it, they just don't call it that. And with the free-for-all solution one can't build very complex search requests (combining a lot of boolean levels into one search request), if anybody wishes to do so it is Professional or Teams.

But normal boolean-equivalent search ? Piece of cake !