Uninstall from Windows 10 leaves traces and executables active in MS Outlook

Sylanel

Idea

I was previously using Evernote on my work computer until they deployed the full Microsoft 365 suite and removed rights to use other 3rd party apps such as Evernote which was uninstalled. Unfortunately, we have discovered that Evernote has left traces and even executables that are still contacting back to Evernote servers. I used the application's official uninstaller and it obviously failed. I need assistance in order to complete a cleanup appropriately.

Evernote_Outlook_2021-08-26_16-13-57.png

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5

You probably need support to get help on that. If you want to go down this path I don’t know. To get something uninstalled from Windows, without traces IMHO is close to impossible.

Our IT guys would do it differently: Erase the PC, put a fresh Windows installation on it, load the applications anew, restore the user, done.

As a professional QA expert, I must say that the uninstall portion of the application is subpar if it leaves such trails in the system and even leaves services that are calling back to their servers. I am currently working on the matter and the situation currently seems to indicate that a system wipe could be required. As such, I am forced to say that this makes the Evernote software not certifiable for enterprise solution and deployment due to suspect behaviour.

• Level 5

Thanks for posting. If in doubt, contact EN support about it.

The forum is user2user.

Personally I avoid Microsoft products, for their unstoppable tendency to call home. Close to 100% of all ransomware attacks happen to a Microsoft environment.

I doubt that installing or removing an EN extension is really your main security issue. Just my 5ct …

Any ideas how I could reach Evernote support without having to pay a subscription to inform them of this potentially troublesome bug?

Would there be a utility that is a "cleaner" type that could be provided by the Evernote team? That could easily solve the problem.