Saved Search from filtered notes

dvollc

Idea

Currently, the three dots to allow for a saved search is available when you use the Search field.  Is there a reason why those three dots do not appear when I use the Filter?  My goal in using the Filter is the same in using the Search field.  The advantage of the Filter is the UI in performing my search.

Would you please consider adding a Saved Search from filtered notes as you do with a Search result?

6 replies to this idea

15 minutes ago, dvollc said:

Currently, the three dots to allow for a saved search is available when you use the Search field.  Is there a reason why those three dots do not appear when I use the Filter?  My goal in using the Filter is the same in using the Search field.  The advantage of the Filter is the UI in performing my search.

Would you please consider adding a Saved Search from filtered notes as you do with a Search result?

I, like you, have never understood why you cannot save a filter even if the results and intention are exactly the same.

The workaround is to search first (e.g. a search for * will bring up all notes) and then filter. Because it is then a "filtered search" you can save it.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Mike P said:

I, like you, have never understood why you cannot save a filter even if the results and intention are exactly the same.

The workaround is to search first (e.g. a search for * will bring up all notes) and then filter. Because it is then a "filtered search" you can save it.

Alternatively just use the search syntax which is much more powerful than the filter and in some cases easier to use. Try using the filter to find all the notes created two years ago - painful.

@dvollc@Mike P Thanks for the feedback. We actually just released the ability to save a search after applying filters from the "Add Filters" menu in the latest release (10.20). After you add a filter, the "save search" button will show up at the top of the notes list. Please let us know how you like it.   

save search.PNG

• Like 1
12 hours ago, May L said:

@dvollc@Mike P Thanks for the feedback. We actually just released the ability to save a search after applying filters from the "Add Filters" menu in the latest release (10.20). After you add a filter, the "save search" button will show up at the top of the notes list. Please let us know how you like it.   

save search.PNG

Thankyou. That seems to work. There is a very interesting biproduct. If I filter on a tag which is attached to more than 128 notes I only get 128 notes. If I then save that filter as a search and then run the saved search I get all the notes (633 in the example I tried). The difference in behaviour between search and filter was already known so I assume that EN is converting the filter to a search under the hood in order to save it. 

Please can we just be consistent and scrap this ridiculous limitation to 128 filter results.

• Like 1