I will keep using legacy version 6.25 until...

Well, I've been using paid Evernote for 11 years now. My first attempt at using Desktop v.10 was October 2020.  Of course it was impossible to use and after some support tickets,   I went back to 6.25.   Today, I tried V.10 again and tested it thoroughly.  My conclusion is that Evernote seems to be on a route to self-destruction.

I perfectly understand we have the choice of keep using the legacy version as long as it's still supported. However, if, at some point in time, Evernote decides to disable access to it or make it obsolete (end-of-life), forcing us to use version10.x (which is basically a masked Web App), then I will be forced to look for other companies/solutions/alternatives and a way to migrate all my hard worked data, the years of research and the tag tree structure.  It will be a time consuming and stressing task, but that's why I hope Evernote gets back on track in terms of decent software development.

Some reasons why I will never install Desktop version 10.20.4, and I will keep using legacy v.6.25:

• Clicking on a note the first time takes 3 or more seconds.
  • Opening a note on a separate window STILL takes 6 to 10 seconds, sometimes 15 seconds on long notes, but never less than 6 seconds  (yes, ten months after V.10 was launched, hard to believe).  One would think that after a first click on the note, it would be downloaded or cached, but no, it's always like opening a note for the first time.  Unacceptable and impossible to work on it.   Compared to this, version 6.25 feels rocket-fast.
  • After clicking on a few notes, v.10 went crazy with the system resources and started using 1GB of ram, while version 6.25 never surpassed 100MB.   The only app that uses this outrageous quantity of ram is Chrome, but it's because it has 30+ tabs opened.
  • Offline access is only partial. All your notes get a "Download Incomplete" message when you're offline. I understood that V.10 was using a local database, but the evidence generates confusion.
  • You don't know which tag is selected on the left sidebar (isn't this absolutely basic behavior?)
  • We cannot multi-select tags. Only one at a time?  
  • Can't select more than 50 notes at a time. Why?  Is the app going to use 3GB of ram if we try?    performance issues = software development issues.
  • Moving notes from one folder to another takes unacceptable times.
  • We can't have the shortcuts located on top, horizontally, near the menu bar. On V.6.25, this is one of greatest time-saving useful features.  One simple click to access your favorite notes or tags super fast.
  • We can't change font size or font family anywhere.  Why do you impose font types on us?  
  • We can't change left sidebar background color. Impositions.
  • We cannot choose the location for Evernote local files (Database).  Sometimes our C drive is full and it's required to install everything to D drive

I try to understand the reasoning behind the erroneous development decisions listed above, perhaps driven by all these "bring all the apps together" vision, having one universal GUI for Desktop and Web. And I corroborate that desktop v.10 looks and works just like the web version.   But, the truth is we rarely use the web version. When we work on our desktops, we need a much more powerful app, with true offline sync features (not because we need to disconnect from the internet, but because performance is greatly increased as evidenced with V.625).  It's like Evernote is tripping over the same error Microsoft made with Windows 8, which is trying to unify one single GUI for all devices, and you know the results, catastrophic.   Desktop is Desktop. A Desktop device is aimed at serious work and also fast work.  The Web app is used less than occasionally (ask the users in this forum, they report that in the past they used the web interface on the rare occasion).  Aiming so much efforts to unify Desktop and Web is like pretending everybody works only on Chromebooks. If you can't bring your laptop with you, then you use your phone and end of story. 

Maybe the web and android versions were a mess before v10 and now they got better.  That's a good thing, but why do you have to butcher the Desktop App?  A proper Desktop App utilizes the power of a desktop computing, and lets users customize and configure the app in great detail. Now with V.10 it seems that local computing resources are not needed anymore because the Desktop app runs inside some kind of browser back-end framework. The desktop app feels like software-as-a-service, basically cloud software disguised as Desktop app.  I know V.10 has a local database, but it truly feels like it does nothing locally (other than using an obscene amount of ram), which is definitely less efficient for users, but probably easier for the Evernote development roadmap. Evernote seems to be taking the short path, and dangerously decreasing the quality of the product, not understanding its own customers.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5*

I'm a  long term Evernote user, using the Legacy product on a Mac   
I consider the v10 product a work-in-progress, presently missing features I need   
I'm monitoring the v10 progress, and will consider switching when the work is completed

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, McClausky said:

It will be a time consuming and stressing task, but that's why I hope Evernote gets back on track in terms of decent software development.

Sympathies with your frustrations - I'd imagine a lot of long time Evernote users (including me & @DTLow) are waiting for v10 to get better before we switch. 

As time goes on there will be more alternatives to Evernote,  and the existing options will improve  their features;  so "looking for other solutions" is an ongoing task of keeping an eye on developments.  If you have Desktop Legacy, you have a copy of your database on your device (and hopefully some ongoing backup scheme in case that copy is compromised somehow) and you can bet that most competitors will make it as easy as possible to import notes from Evernote to convert to their system. 

It looks like Legacy users are good for some months yet - when the updates get less frequent... then they might start more actively pushing everyone towards the latest product.

• Like 1

Gosh - still this bad then. Thanks for saving me the time to dip my toes back in those waters. No thanks!!  I am the same as you then - 6.25 until either they sort this mess out (growing less and less likely by the month, now), or force us to alternative products, which I still haven't found. 6.25 is still the champ, but I have high hopes for Amplenote, if they just opened up the storage options a bit more.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, avevers said:

Gosh - still this bad then.

Actually it's not necessarily bad - it depends on your use.  There are a number of apparently sober and coherent users who find the new app to be at least as good,  if not better than sliced bread - it depends on how used you are to the current former UI,  and what elements of the Legacy app you found useful vs what's been dropped from EN10.  I'm just impatient with learning curves and a strong believer in the "ain't broke - don't fix" school of thought.  I am using the new Web version,  and it has a lot going for it - though it tends to brick one of the laptops I use because of its size...

• Level 5

You will not have anything in v10 like you are used to it, it is take it or leave it in some aspects.

v10 IS in fact a Chrom(ium) based app - it is running inside of a framework, that handles OS traffic. And this framework is based on Chromium, it is sort of a browser without a front end. The front end is the app. So better to have some system resources to spare.

About tags: The way to apply tag selections was changed. It is done by setting filters now, in searches and as well in viewing options. If you select a filter, it will nicely show on the screen. Just another approach, works for me (and I am heavy on tagging).

In general, EN is growing at the moment, adding new features. No problem with using legacy (I do it as well, but only for some tasks), but it means sitting on that dead branch on an otherwise green tree.

IMHO with some longer perspective, you need to find your personal way into v10, or your way out of EN altogether.

• Like 1

I recently built a new computer and had saved the URL to directions on how to return to the legacy app. Now that I'm up on the new computer, I find that the thread with directions has apparently been deleted.

Is it possible for me to get the legacy app on my new computer?

7 hours ago, DTLow said:

Many thanks! I've now got it installed on the new computer - for how long - no one knows. I'll just have to deal with learning curve, slowness & lack of useful/comfortable features once they take the Legacy version away. (Hopefully, the competition sees what's going on & starts to create better options with easy migration).

It's such a shame when companies lose their focus and make decisions that are counter to customer satisfaction. Some time in the past two years LastPass did something similarly idiotic. I thought I could wait them out but after a month or so, I gave up, did my homework and moved to another password manager.

• Like 1

I've been a paid member for about 10 years I think. 

I'm really not sure what people are talking about . The point about notes not being available if not connected is just not true - its one of the reasons that I keep paying EN - very, very few apps now have off-line access. 

I'm running a surface pro 2017 and the app is a as quick as office 365 - perfectly OK performance. You can see the tag selected in the left hand column. 

I've just upgraded from plus to personal - why? Custom filtered widgets on the home page 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been EN since 2007. I am with the disaster crowd. I can live with some necessary changes to update with the times or an EN vision, but the web app slows my work flow down to the point of tedium. I will migrate, too, sadly, before updating to web app.

• Like 1

Ditto on being a paid EN user for 10+ years.  I'm trying to live with the v10 web app but haven't figured out how to make it import files - a must have for me - and don't think it does it.  Am I right?  Thanks.

• Level 5*
Just now, steveo2q said:

Ditto on being a paid EN user for 10+ years.  I'm trying to live with the v10 web app but haven't figured out how to make it import files - a must have for me - and don't think it does it.  Am I right?  Thanks.

The web app never has been able to import files - are you thinking about an Import Folder?  That's a desktop process.  The web app can attach files to notes,  but that's strictly a manual operation.

Create import folders

"... are you thinking about an Import Folder?"   Thanks, gazumped.  Yes, I've been using import folders on the EN Windows version for a long time.  Recently changed from the Legacy version to v.10.20.4, and started using the v10 web app as well, and have been  trying to figure out which to keep.  I can't use import folders with the web version, I'm now getting that 10.20.4 is squirrelly (I can't see half of the files assigned to a particular tag), so that leaves me going back to - Legacy.  I hope they get the desktop version right because it has always been what I need.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You can import files into EN web by clicking on the blue + button when you are in a note. Choose „Attachment“ and select it, done.

There never were and there are no import folders for EN web. This was on legacy a feature of the Windows client only. With v10 import folders are now available in EN for Windows and Mac. It is not decision criteria: If you want import folders, you need to use a desktop client.

About the „can‘t see half of the files assigned to a tag“ remark: What exactly do you try to do, what is the desired result, what happens instead ?