Saving files as .enex

Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

I frequently used EN Windows app and saved the the notes as enex. Their size generally ranged between 400-600 MB. I used EN web for the latest project. I wish to save these as .enex but the notes are on EN web. They would be around 400-600 MB just like the previous enex files.

I tried to it directly from EN web but could not find an option - is there any option to it? I downloaded the windows app and now it's taking forever (20 min and waiting) to sign-in. I tried signing-in multiple time but still the same. Is it normal?

Can someone suggest what can be done?

UPDATE - I am trying cloud-hq but it saves individual notes as individual enex files. AllIi want is a single enex file for the whole thing :(

Edited by AkashSatsangi
  • Level 5*
22 hours ago, AkashSatsangi said:

I tried to it directly from EN web but could not find an option - is there any option to it?

The export function is only supported on the Windows/Mac platforms   
The discussion has been moved to the web forum

>>I wish to save these as .enex

Just curious about your reasons for saving the notes    
The .enex format is mostly used for backup purposes

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Just curious about your reasons for saving the notes    
The .enex format is mostly used for backup purposes

After every course, I backup the files. They wont be of use anymore for me. If a friend or junior asks for notes, I send them the enex files. They are easier to keep and organize in the long run, imo.

As a workaround, when/if they get it working properly, you could export that notebook as a PDF. I think this requires the pro version. Last time I tried, it didn't do a complete job. I have an open ticket on it. Haven't tried with version 10.20 yet.

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, vogelap said:

I feel like the current 10.x versions (and beyond) should support ENEX... It seems to be an oversight that it doesn't.     
Is ENEX support on the road map?

The Windows/Mac platforms have long supported .enex export/import; both Legacy and v10   
Which platform are you referring to?

• Level 5

On v10 desktop it works to export a selection of notes (currently up to 50), or any notebook (independent from the size). No export from web or mobile.

To export lager chunks is not advisable, anyhow. The ENEX file format does not preserve the notebook information. So you end up with a number of notes on a heap. The proper way is to export each notebook, and give the ENEX file a corresponding file name. By that you can restore the original setup after an import.

Legacy allows to export more in one go - but has the same restriction concerning the notebook information.

I remembered that I was dissatisfied with ENEX support in Evernote 10. I checked, and realized why... It's not that the feature ISN'T there (it is). It is that the feature is severely (in my opinion) limited.

I am using 64-bit Windows 10, most-current version of 10.x Evernote. There is a limit of 50 notes when I select to export to ENEX.

I'd like to be able to select ALL my notes (just shy of 6000 notes as of this writing) and export them ALL to ENEX format. I cannot currently do that in Evernote 10.x. The same 50-note limitation appears to be there when I export to PDF. As a side note, the PDF export is slow.

Evernote needs to have a way to export/backup/restore/selectively restore EVERYTHING locally.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, vogelap said:

I am using Windows 10, most-current version of 10.x Evernote. There is a limit of 50 notes when I select to export to ENEX.

What I'd like to be able to do is select ALL my notes (just shy of 6000 notes) and export them ALL to ENEX format. I cannot currently do that in Evernote 10.x.

Notebook names are not currently part of the export metadata,  so the correct way to export is notebook-by-notebook.  If you go to the Notebook tab and right-click a notebook name,  you can export that entire notebook (even if it is 6,000 notes) to ENEX.  If you have Legacy*,  an additional subscription app "Backupery" can automate that task for you.  I'm currently backing up 55K notes and 300 notebooks daily with that method.

EDIT:  (That's Windows Legacy!)

EDIT: EDIT: And since I just realised this is a Web thread... https://support.cloudhq.net/how-to-backup-evernote-to-google-drive/

• Level 5

@vogelap The export is a good reason to use few notebooks only, and organize the notes by tags.

On legacy, you can use scripting to cycle the export through all notebooks. On v10, there is no scripting.

On the other hand I really don’t see a necessity to backup a professional cloud service. Export is meant to be able to get at your data, and leave to another service. As a one timer, the limitations are not that relevant.

If you really mean to have a backup (any sort of backup), you can simply install legacy, and backup the whole EN data folder with any backup tool. Or in v10 select „Keep data on leaving“ in Preferences, let it sync the local copy, and make a backup of this folder. The restore may get tricky, but as I said: I see not much necessity to restore to EN at all. But if you sleep better when you have it, this is the easiest way.

• Like 1

I appreciate the workarounds and other steps taken... I didn't know about Backupery... That's a good suggestion!

However, I feel the shortcoming is internal to Evernote and should be addressed therein... 

The suggestion of using fewer Notebooks and organizing by Tags is a good one... I will explore that.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Backupery is a nice one - until I noticed a useful subscription it twice the price of an EN Personal account. So it would triple the cost of running EN, just for an additional backup.

My main use of notebooks is to control access (like sharing a notebook, which automatically gives access to all notes in it to anybody allowed to use it - for notes added later on as well), control the import of notes via import folders and a very coarse order of my notes.

Tags are my main tool for any substantial information.

I have a pretty good Tag ecosystem in my Evernote already. My usage pattern (since EverNote days) has been Notebook-centric, but it sounds like it's time to re-evaluate that.

And, yes, with Backupery being so expensive and not working with Evernote 10, that's just not a good solution for me.

I don't want to install TWO Evernote versions (Legacy and 10.x) to cobble together a useful solution. I feel that Evernote 10.x should support full exports of one's data, and they should make sure that when re-imported, it's EXACTLY as the backed-up data.

ENEX is not just for leaving the platform, but for personal backups.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

On legacy, you can use scripting to cycle the export through all notebooks.

Another vote for scripting; applescript on a Mac using the Evernote Legacy product