There should be a note conflict comparison tool

kbhasi

Idea

I have both devices that can run Evernote 10 and devices that can't, so I often move between modern and legacy clients, especially with an older tablet I have that's stuck on Android 6 and thus is stuck with the legacy client. As such, I often go between the modern and legacy clients, sometimes forgetting to sync the legacy clients, and that's how I usually end up with note conflicts. So far, I've ended up with 2 note conflicts, and both are long notes that I have trouble comparing in split-screen on the desktop client on Windows. I can't show the notes in screenshots as they contain information for unpublished projects I'm currently working on.

As such, I would like for the desktop clients to have some sort of comparison tool, not only for Note History, but for note conflicts too.

(Edit: I forgot that the desktop clients share code with the browser-based version, so I feel that if this gets implemented for the desktop clients, it could transpire to the Web browser-based client too)

Edited by kbhasi
  • Like 4

4 replies to this idea

On 8/25/2021 at 3:12 PM, PinkElephant said:

As a workaround, you can create 2 word processor documents, and use the file comparison of these programs.

MS Word can do it, or if you want a free solution take LibreOffice.

Ah! I already have LibreOffice installed. Otherwise, I could copy them into plain text files and run those through KDiff3 or WinMerge. Thanks for the workaround!

Edit: I went ahead and am using WinMerge to compare conflicting notes. The text comparison tool is designed to work with plain text files, so it doesn't preserve most of the formatting, but it works for now.

Edited by kbhasi
  • Like 1

It’s incredibly sad and frustrating that users have to resort to submitting a feature request for a “conflict comparison” or conflict resolution tool, when the proper “feature” would be for Evernote to not constantly create note conflicts in the first place!

The problem is seemingly getting worse with every passing day. This wasn’t a serious issue in the past (in the “Legacy” app days), but I have this problem literally every day now, and there seems to be little acknowledgement of the problem—let alone actual interest in fixing it—by the Evernote team. It makes me wonder where my money for my Premium account is going?

• Like 1