Losing notes / mnotebooks and incomplete syncing across devices (new EVERNOTE)

Moved to new EN and saw this as an opportunity to do a tidy up - however Ive lost 2 days work in re-organised notes, adding new notes and notebooks. Suspect there is an issue with sync from my Macbook to Server. Digging deeper I found

- No sync issue alerts and just the messages 'all changes saved'

- Checking sync across my devices I find a mismatch in number of saved notes across macbook (10,370), iPhone (10,201), iPad (10,178), Browser/Online a/c (10,178)

Questions:

- Am I likely to retrieve the lost notes or should I just delete Macbook app and reinstall?

- Do I need to do same across any devices not showing same Note tally as Browser/Online a/c

- Should I be concerned about any server sync issues here?

(Im a week into  chasing this up with EN Support but now gone 4 days with no response after being passed to the 'technical team')

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, M. Dee said:
  1. - Am I likely to retrieve the lost notes or should I just delete Macbook app and reinstall?

Your notes are kept on the server,  so uninstall / reinstall won't affect any recovery prospects.

2. - Do I need to do same across any devices not showing same Note tally as Browser/Online a/c

See the answer to 1) above - all devices are (supposed to be) showing different views of the same server database

3. - Should I be concerned about any server sync issues here?

If your server count (the web view) is 10,178 I'm surprised you get as high as 10,370 elsewhere - are there a lot of files in Trash?

4. (Im a week into  chasing this up with EN Support but now gone 4 days with no response after being passed to the 'technical team')

Support are best placed to resolve this for you - sometimes it takes a few days to investigate issues and respond.

• Level 5

When the count is off on v10, my experience is that usually shared notebooks are the reason. They will be counted, but only when opened once.

This is specific to each client. Opening it on one device corrects the count only on this client. Opening one time was sufficient for me - it counts up by itself since.

Apart from this I know NO reason for a v10 client to have a differing note count. All clients should show the exact same results.

@gazumped - thanks.. the original ‘loss’ I think may be due to MacBook master not syncing the local changes I made to the server. EN appeared to save the changes I’d made over 3 days, with no error messages and note ‘all. changes saved’. Following the reboot it reverted to a mid-state from about 2 days earlier. I was hoping there might be some way of recovering the local version which is why I’ve held off deleting EN and reinstalling. The browser / online version is definitely an earlier ‘mid-state.’

Do you know if the ‘local’ work is saved to device whilst sync is underway - and can be recovered in event of failure? if not it looks like a delete and install (and loss of the work) is my only option.

@pinkelephant - that’s an interesting point. There are shared notebooks (and some  deleted in the ‘tidy up) that could point to the disparity in note count - will check this out !

• Level 5

There is no local copy like on legacy any longer. On legacy you worked on the local database, and this got synced to the server.

When online EN v10 permanently syncs with the server. So what you see in the web client is your database, all clients will closely follow it.

EN v10 desktop holds a local copy for offline use. But it needs to build it first - unfortunately AFAIK there is no indicator when this is done. Offline changes will sync when back online. As long as online, the offline database is not used.

In general, what you see on the web is what you have. Maybe support has an idea about any local data (I doubt it) - you could give it a try:

God, I am so despising Evernote so much these past few months..

• Untrustworthy, unreliable.
  • Modified Notes sometimes do not get saved. 

Both the Mac Desktop and Safari Web versions are so unreliable that I have to resort to copy/paste onto Apple's Notes to have some backup just in case Evernote decides to go on its frequent spinning exercises, which eventually loses the modifications made!! What a shambles.. 

• Level 5

No such problems. The only syncing problem I have encountered so far was a delayed downsync: A note change had synced to the server and was available there, but took up to appr. 30min to show up on another client. Did not happen for several months now, so probably a one timer.

What v10 does not „like“ are instabilities on the internet link, when the link goes on and off, or is not reliable.

Maybe you run one of that Speedtest apps, and take a look at the quality indicators: Ping time, Jitter, packet loss. The lower the better - I have on a good connection Ping below 20ms, Jitter below 5ms and zero packet loss.