Add exclude options to filter

sassoon12

Idea

10 replies to this idea

4 hours ago, sassoon12 said:

I would like to exclude certain notebooks from the list.

I currently have it sorted by date edited. Many times I add a note but wont need it again for a year so I dont want it showing up in the list.

If you want to exclude a whole notebook from a list you cannot do it using the filter menu. However you can do it using the search syntax:

-notebook:"notebook name"

The - at the beginning negates the search. You only need the quotation marks if there are spaces in your notebook name. Notebook names are not case sensitive. You can list multiple notebooks if you want.

-notebook:notebook1 -notebook:notebook2

You can then filter. Personally I would set up the search as I want it and save then it as a shortcut. Then use the filter menu if that is what you are most comfortable with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
10 minutes ago, sassoon12 said:

1. How do I setup the search as a shortcut? I cant find a way to do it.

2. Interesting but when I leave out the quotes on a notebook with a single name it doesnt give me the results I expect. I cant define it just seems like its listing random notes. When I out in the quotes even though its a single word named notebook it looks right.

Underneath the title that says "Search results" it says "Save search"

image.png.0e960f4d7967f9404663426d9a1101bb.png

Click that, give it a name and choose "Add this saved search to shortcuts"

image.png.d199763af5c0124d96454da0704ce8fb.png

If you already have a saved search you can add it to shortcuts by running the search and then accessing the "edit saved search" from the three dots menu. That again gives you the option to save it as a shortcut.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
13 hours ago, sassoon12 said:

Many times I add a note but wont need it again for a year so I dont want it showing up in the list.

Another use case is archived notes; which I've tagged with tag:!Archive   
I'd like the option to exclude archived notes from note list

Your "hidden" notes could be identified with tag:!Hide

6 hours ago, Mike P said:

You can then filter. Personally I would set up the search as I want it and save then it as a shortcut. Then use the filter menu if that is what you are most comfortable with.

1. How do I setup the search as a shortcut? I cant find a way to do it.

2. Interesting but when I leave out the quotes on a notebook with a single name it doesnt give me the results I expect. I cant define it just seems like its listing random notes. When I out in the quotes even though its a single word named notebook it looks right.

• Level 5*
41 minutes ago, southernforge said:

I would like to save a search in the iOS app that is:  tag:"bills due" -tag:"bills paid" 

Run the search1377829364_IMG_40992.thumb.jpeg.d63beba0157a00f941e2e84b0558f58e.jpeg
Click on the ... on the right side

Click Save SearchIMG_4096.thumb.jpeg.6f3a19cb29d27806cebe8b02befd5851.jpeg

• Like 1

Thank you.  

Something interesting happened 5 minutes ago - I am trying to use the v10.x desktop application - it sure is different!  But I began a search with the text:  -tag:"bills due" -tag:"bills paid" which worked.  

I saved the search to the shortcuts group, and ran it, only to find ... nothing.  I realized Evernote had changed the search to (literally):  (tag:"bills due" -tag:"bills paid)" and I cannot see how to make Evernote use the search text I created.  The saved search sync'd with the iOS app, and that altered search text doesn't work there, either.  

Thoughts?  (thank you)

Edited by southernforge
Call out in-app text
15 minutes ago, southernforge said:

Thank you.  

Something interesting happened 5 minutes ago - I am trying to use the v10.x desktop application - it sure is different!  But I began a search with the text:  -tag:"bills due" -tag:"bills paid" which worked.  

I saved the search to the shortcuts group, and ran it, only to find ... nothing.  I realized Evernote had changed the search to (literally):  (tag:"bills due" -tag:"bills paid)" and I cannot see how to make Evernote use the search text I created.  The saved search sync'd with the iOS app, and that altered search text doesn't work there, either.  

Thoughts?  (thank you)

There was a problem with saved searches containing the -tag syntax. It was solved. Are you on the latest version (10.20)?

• Like 1

Whe

13 minutes ago, Mike P said:

There was a problem with saved searches containing the -tag syntax. It was solved. Are you on the latest version (10.20)?

Thank you.  Yes, 10.20.4.  I'm thinking opening a ticket would be a good next step.

• Like 2