Evernote downgraded me to Basic - no notification. What's the best alternative?

I've been a PAID Evernote user since 2010.

Found I had been downgraded to Basic as my credit card had changed and they I hadn't updated the details. Rather than let me know, Evernote just downgraded me to basic with NO NOTIFICATION - so I can't access my notes on more than 2 devices, and some notes I can't edit because of the note size limitations.

After complaining, I've had a message which in essence said "We're sorry, we'll try again within 4 days".

That is completely unsatisfactory - how about "Oh hell, you've been paying for 11 years! What we should have done was reach out to you and see if your credit card had changed, and keep you on your current plan until we sort this out. We'll represent the new card you told us about asap, and let you know that outcome. Again, apologies."

Nup. Hopeless.

For the first time in 11 years (which included the disaster years with the feature downgrades etc, including the hopeless export options) I am now working out how to get off this platform. I can tolerate mediocre software, but not mediocre/terrible customer service.

I think there are a lot of issues with EN customer service right now, but you let your FOP lapse, that's on you. I don't know how many million paid users they have, but expecting them to abort what is certainly an automated system to reach out to every individual that fails to update their CC info is unreasonable IMO.

I've had subscriptions renewed that I no longer wanted because I forgot to cancel and I've had them cancelled because I forgot to update my FOP. Operative words, "I forgot"

Agree that not updating my card is on me. Completely.

I still think that they ought ask "hey - we had a problem" before locking me out with Basic. They might have millions of paid users, but the failed payment number would be nothing like that. They could automate a nice email, and hold the downgrade for a few days while the customer could respond.

Anyway - won't be a problem in a short while.

Cheers

• Like 2
  • Level 5

When I downgraded a while ago (necessary to use my points) there were several emails plus an extra week of Premium for free to sort things out. So maybe no just your card went sour, maybe you should look into your spam folder first.

You can contact support here, choose Billing as ticket type. It is available for all accounts:

I completely agree with you.... yes you messed up and didn't update your card information... but you know what?  SH** happens... people get busy, and cant remember every single place to update a credit card.  There should be a 7 day grace period or something...   Renewal day, the card declines, you should get an email letting you know that it declined and to please correct it within x amount of days or you will be downgraded..... especially for an 11 year customer!  Give loyal customers some respect!  

As for best alternative I would suggest checking out Nimbus Notes.  Once you import your first .ENEX file, you get 30 days free to try it out.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, tsmartin said:

yes you messed up and didn't update your card information... but you know what?  SH** happens... people get busy, and cant remember every single place to update a credit card.

There's no reason for this to become a panic situation
Simply update the credit card info and upgrade the subscription level

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, DTLow said:

There's no reason for this to become a panic situation
Simply update the credit card info and upgrade the subscription level

Not panicking - just very unhappy with the customer support. Much larger organisations than Evernote manage to communicate in circumstances like. I've been told to wait 4 business days for the card to be re-presented, and then to "update my card". If Evernote told me to do the upgrade myself, I would have. That was not their advice.

In the intervening 6 days (Sat->Thurs), I can only access my 11 years of notes on 2 platforms, and can't edit some large notes.

We'll see how things go...

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, tsmartin said:

There should be a 7 day grace period or something... 

As with others here - don't see the problem.  This happened to me a while ago when a payment card expired.  Saw the "you're now basic" email, re-upgraded online with new payment details,  was going again within 10 minutes.  With billing across millions of customers in various countries and time zones,  I wouldn't expect Evernote to make changes anytime soon...

1 minute ago, gazumped said:

As with others here - don't see the problem.  This happened to me a while ago when a payment card expired.  Saw the "you're now basic" email, re-upgraded online with new payment details,  was going again within 10 minutes.  With billing across millions of customers in various countries and time zones,  I wouldn't expect Evernote to make changes anytime soon...

If 10 minutes was the case I would agree completely, but customer service told him to wait 4 days for them to reprocess the payment again instead of it reprocessing as soon as he updated his credit card.

5 minutes ago, tsmartin said:

If 10 minutes was the case I would agree completely, but customer service told him to wait 4 days for them to reprocess the payment again instead of it reprocessing as soon as he updated his credit card.

That's correct. I wasn't event notified that I was down to basic - that's the first problem.

• Level 5*

4 minutes ago, tsmartin said:

customer service told him to wait 4 days for them to reprocess the payment

Duly noted,  but getting a major process change because of one out of the usual bad experience is not likely to happen. No clue why that advice from CS,  re-upgrading the account from the website takes minutes at worst.

• Level 5

Some time ago I went through downgrading twice, because letting my subscription expire was the only way to use my points.

So I went through the full program: There was ample notice by mail, plus a 1 week automatic extension to allow to sort it out in due time, again with bells and whistles every time I opened the app.

Sorry, but either there is a full spam folder sitting around somewhere, or I believe that here only half of the story is told.

4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Some time ago I went through downgrading twice, because letting my subscription expire was the only way to use my points.

So I went through the full program: There was ample notice by mail, plus a 1 week automatic extension to allow to sort it out in due time, again with bells and whistles every time I opened the app.

Sorry, but either there is a full spam folder sitting around somewhere, or I believe that here only half of the story is told.

Nope

• Level 5

Anyway, nothing to make a fuzz about: Once downgraded it is a few clicks (and a valid payment method) to upgrade the account again.

No data loss, a brief period of reflection (that is one reason why I manage my subscriptions through my iTunes account).