(Archived) Tabs have stopped working again

dracan

I've just noticed that tabs have stopped working again. As soon as I enter a tab character, it's immediately converted to spaces :-( I thought this had been fixed? I'm using version "4.0.2.3151 (110883) prerelease".

Cheers,

Dan.

• Level 5

That's the intended behavior. Each tab gets converted into 5 non-breaking spaces (it's a little more complicated than that, but that's the general idea). This means you can continue to use tabs for indentation and they'll behave correctly. Retaining the tab as-is is not really an option, given the HTML underpinnings of the note editor. This is how most other rich editors handle this situation and it mimics 3.5's behavior.

The bug that's been corrected is that we were inadvertently deleting tabs before (i.e., we were not replacing them with anything at all).

Thanks,

Emerick

When I first tried ev4, it definitely kept tabs. I had tried using evernote initially at 3.5, and this lack of tab support made it a deal breaker. When I tried using it again when ev4 was released, it definitely worked, and I've started using evernote again. I thought this had been sorted in en4 :-(

Yet again, I'll have to start looking for an alternative. It's a shame because on the whole evernote is an awesome piece of software. It seems absolutely crazy to me that it would change your formatting behind your back. I'm sure I'm not the only person that wants to keep tab characters in my text.

I understand that you store the data as HTML entities, but there is an HTML entity for the tab character ( ).

Regarding Tabs, I use Indent. It is on the note editor tool bar, or CTRL-M and CTRL-SHIFT-M to outdent. Or bullets. Or Numbered Lists.

Unless you use a fixed font, tabs would not display correctly anyway, would they? Historically, a tab implied a set number of spaces, not a fixed length across screen/page.

Regards,

Just to put it into context - the reason I want to keep tabs is because I want to use evernote to store code snippets. So I want to copy and paste from my notes into my code editor. Evernote would be the ideal tool for programmers storing their snippets, if only it didn't remove the tab formatting.

• Level 5
I understand that you store the data as HTML entities, but there is an HTML entity for the tab character ( ).

The issue isn't so much that there's no way to represent or store a tab, it's that the HTML renderer ignores/collapses whitespace (including tabs). Inserting non-breaking spaces is a compromise, but it allows us to retain some semblance of the formatting that tabs provide, which is usually what people are after.

Emerick

The issue isn't so much that there's no way to represent or store a tab, it's that the HTML renderer ignores/collapses whitespace (including tabs). Inserting non-breaking spaces is a compromise, but it allows us to retain some semblance of the formatting that tabs provide, which is usually what people are after.

So how about if there was an option to keep tabs, and if this was set it would internally store those as "  " (so would be rendered as a single space), then when you copied into the clipboard, it would replace this with a physical tab?

• 1 month later...

in my opinion, tab should work in evernote like most plain text editors (assuming fixed font) - you should tab to the character underneath the position where there is a character on the previous line, that way you can line up any columns you want..

• 1 year later...

Tab behavior definately needs work. Either as bradwww suggested, or a configurable setting, and the option of setting things up to preserve some sort of tab marking after import for things like tab columned text and code snippets. It's super frustrating.

Archived