Can no longer record an audio note

v10.15 

Click the + New Button, select Audio, and you get a typical blank page with Start Writing or Choose Template and the spinning cursor. You can start typing, but never get an indication of a recording. I used this recently, but not sure if it was in 10.14 or earlier.

Edit: If I start with a New Note, then click +, scroll down and choose audio, it works as expected. A clunky workaround with several more unnecessary steps, but it works.

Edit 2: No. It doesn't. No matter how short the audio, once you click stop, it goes to Loading... and never does anything else. No audio or note is saved. Eventually you break out of it.

Hi, I checked this on my test device with V10.15. Both ways you described worked for me. Recording started and after stop audio was saved to note. I checked starting audio also from the widget and the audio recording worked as well. So can not confirm the issue for my setup. Maybe once again reinstalling helps?

Strange. Maybe mic permission is not set for Evernote app? I experienced one occasion where Evernote did not ask for location permission by itself and did not get any location data...until I figured out the reason by chance. Maybe this happened here for mic permission and the dialogue to grant access simply does not fire up?

• Like 1

No, I remember the dialog originally and after the reinstall. Just checked and it has permissions. 

But while I was in there, I looked around and Access to Media and Files was denied. I gave it access to Media only and that didn't help. There wasn't an option to grant access to all files. Does yours have that permission?

Interestingly, I tried the camera as it operates in a similar fashion and it fails in the identical way. If I click New, camera, it just spins. If I create a new note and click the plus and choose camera, it appears to take the picture, but never finishes writing it to the note. I used this a lot over the years, but I just checked and it's been almost a month since I did so successfully. I remember trying it once or twice and it not working, but didn't associate it to the recording problem until just now.. 

Wow this is really strange. I checked permissions. Evernote is granted all permissions: cam, contacts, microphone, media files (it is only asking for media files at my test deivce as well), location. So I think exactly the same setup as on your device. No idea, surely worth a ticket on support.

Well, mine doesn't have contacts or location, and it's never asked. Can't imagine, but I'll set those just for grins.

I'll probably hold off on the ticket until next release. I'm reading about other, apparently common issues that I don't have, so there seems to be a bit of randomness about all of this.

Wanted to try from my tablet. No microphone, but I could use the camera from within EN. Waited through the lengthy update my database screen. When if finally came up, it acted as if I was on the free plan. Logged out and back in. It circled the green elephant for 10 minutes, so I restarted the app. Now my tasks and calendar are blank, so I killed the app. Hopefully, they will sync up, but there's always the possibility it syncs in the other direction and wipes out the 3 dozen tasks I have entered.

I'm too frustrated to try and deal with more EN S#!t right now. I'll check back in later. 

Sorry to hear about that. The state of the product on Android is really a shame.

Edit: if you are prevented from accessing EN on Android maybe a temporary roll back to EN 8.13.3 could be an option to bring you back in the game? 

I solved this, sort of, but looking at a problem someone else had in another thread. What I figured out is that I can't create a note, an audio, or use the camera unless I choose a notebook first. In other words, the New button on the home screen will not work, but from inside any notebook, I tried all three methods and they all work. Don't know if others have the same issue.

I will come up with some sort of workaround using the Home page. I don't input from the phone a lot, and when I do, it is frequently audio or camera. I can use the Scratch Pad for simple notes.

Ah, well here's another clue. I started going through menu options and found the Default Notebook setting. It is blank other than an explanation of what it is. So far, I haven't been able to figure out how to set that. I have had a default Notebook since day one and have never changed that. It works for my Import Folder function, but can't find any where in Windows or Android to choose my default notebook. 

Ok, final post. I found how to set the default notebook on Windows, so I changed mine to a random notebook, then changed it back to my preference. A few minutes later, it showed up on the Android and now the new Note functions work. 

• Thanks 3
  • Evernote Expert
7 hours ago, dbvirago said:

Ok, final post. I found how to set the default notebook on Windows, so I changed mine to a random notebook, then changed it back to my preference. A few minutes later, it showed up on the Android and now the new Note functions work. 

This does seem to be a common fix. In an unrelated issue I had to change default notebook to get the Android app to function correctly.