Can Evernote support code syntax highlighting

OasisLee

Idea

When I type codes in Evernote, it's such a mess that I can barely recognize them. Is it possible to make the code block feature more flexible, adding syntax highlighting like this forum did? 

The code block right now is worse than plain text, as plain text can be colored, the code in Evernote's code block can't.

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5

You are asking a general note taking app to be converted into a coders tool - I hope for the sake of the huge majority of users who do anything but coding with the app EN will never follow down this trail. 

Use a proper editor for coders, that will do it all, attach the files into notes. I use COTEditor on the Mac for this end.

21 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

You are asking a general note taking app to be converted into a coders tool - I hope for the sake of the huge majority of users who do anything but coding with the app EN will never follow down this trail. 

Use a proper editor for coders, that will do it all, attach the files into notes. I use COTEditor on the Mac for this end.

Evernote does have a "code block" feature, so syntax highlighting doesn't strike me as an outlandish request. There are several open-source javascript libraries that Evernote could leverage to do the heavy lifting. They would just need to test and integrate one of them.

• Level 5

I totally agree that this would be possible - technically.

If they really want to do it, is entirely another thing. It creates yet another dependency on an external resource, and of their devs to keep it in sync with newer code syntax. Looking at the app in general, I doubt they will move into that direction.

But of course, anybody can request whatever would support his use case. Looking at some long standing requests I just think nobody should expect „it“ to happen anytime soon, or even anytime …

• Like 1