Cannot annotate in iPad Evernote 10.14

9 minutes ago, JoLip said:

It's impossible to annotate on the latest version of Evernote on the iPad.

I need this for my work.

There's definitely a bug that needs to be fixed.

I second this. Right now my workflow is forced to be notate and handwrite notes in Apple Notes or Goodreads and then export to Evernote.

• Level 5

I can’t reproduce the claim that annotation would not be possible in EN iOS 10.15.

Open a note with a pdf. Now First Click On the Blue Edit Button, then on the pdf.

The usual menu items show, choose the „@„ and start annotating. Tried with arrow and text, both worked. There is still the known problem that the zoom function does not work in annotation mode, but the annotation itself is working.

24 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

I can’t reproduce the claim that annotation would not be possible in EN iOS 10.15.

Open a note with a pdf. Now First Click On the Blue Edit Button, then on the pdf.

The usual menu items show, choose the „@„ and start annotating. Tried with arrow and text, both worked. There is still the known problem that the zoom function does not work in annotation mode, but the annotation itself is working.

I’m talking about the zoom not working which renders the feature absolutely useless for me due to the subjects I work with that are in PDF form. 

• Level 5

The thread says „can not annotate“, which means from my understanding „not at all“.

The lack of a zoom is IMHO another issue. It is clearly possible to annotate, but precision suffers due to working on a full page thumbnail.

If you can switch to a Mac or PC, the „Open with“ function works there. You can annotate  with Preview, very precisely. On closing the window it automatically saves back to EN.

• 6 months later...
On 8/19/2021 at 11:39 PM, Sayre Ambrosio said:

I’m talking about the zoom not working which renders the feature absolutely useless for me due to the subjects I work with that are in PDF form. 

I agree with you on this, It's messed up UX design, Doesnt make any sense at all.

March 2022 and it's still the same.

• Level 5

No zoom in annotation mode is a missing feature.

You have the same annotation tools (plus some more) when you export the pdf outside of EN, and use the free Skitch app provided by EN in the AppStore. It has the zooming capability that is missing in the embedded code.

5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

No zoom in annotation mode is a missing feature.

You have the same annotation tools (plus some more) when you export the pdf outside of EN, and use the free Skitch app provided by EN in the AppStore. It has the zooming capability that is missing in the embedded code.

It missing now. It didn't use to be. I used to do all annotation and markup within Evernote on the v10 iPad app and it just stopped working one day. Let support know but it's still not working. I agree that there are better tools to use than the in app annotation and I have a process for that, it's just odd that it was fine one day and not the next. It's not real high up on my list of things to complain about though.

• Level 5

Annotation is still working on my iOS devices, on the pretty low level the tools allow. It is still the old Skitch toolset, not updated in years.

What reduces its value further is the missing zoom on iPad. Funnily on the iPhone zoom works. So you either use the pencil with a big screen frozen in full page view, or your fingers on a small screen that can zoom in.

Nothing that makes me happy using it.

11 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Annotation is still working on my iOS devices, on the pretty low level the tools allow. It is still the old Skitch toolset, not updated in years.

What reduces its value further is the missing zoom on iPad. Funnily on the iPhone zoom works. So you either use the pencil with a big screen frozen in full page view, or your fingers on a small screen that can zoom in.

Nothing that makes me happy using it.

The iPhone thing is a very good point. I can honestly  say I have never checked it since the issue on the iPad since the phone screen is so small. It didn't even occur to me to do so until you said something.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Yes - it seems the mobile app only recognizes sized screen as „normal“ and activates zoom for them. It believes an iPad screen is already big enough to do without a zoom, LOL. There is a way around it, but it is rather theoretical.

Maybe EN starts to support tablets better in the next time - they made a first step with allowing more widgets on an iPad screen lately.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5

To annotate a web clip you need to simplify it.

Tap on the header of the web clip. A little icon bar appears above it. Tap on the magic wand: The web clip will be simplified. It is now editable.

Hint: Simplifying is like reader mode. It will remove a lot of formatting from the clip, leaving plain content. This is permanent.

If you want to preserve the original clip, duplicate the note first.