Desktop version is different than web version

Well, not exactly.  I'm an "old" Premium version user (legacy, I think it's called).  Logging into the web version shows the new screen (Home, Tasks, etc.) but the desktop version doesn't (only the same look as before).  I'm not sure why / how they're different, or how I might get the desktop to "look" like the web.

• Level 5

It is not absolutely the same, but close.

Just make sure you run the latest version of the desktop client, which currently is 10.18.3.

The web client will automatically update, when the new editor is selected. You can take it one step further by setting the checkmark in front of the v10+ option for the web client in your account settings.

7 minutes ago, Thor Skog said:

Well, not exactly.  I'm an "old" Premium version user (legacy, I think it's called).  Logging into the web version shows the new screen (Home, Tasks, etc.) but the desktop version doesn't (only the same look as before).  I'm not sure why / how they're different, or how I might get the desktop to "look" like the web.

Sorry I got it the wrong way round! However in your response you have answered your own question. If you want all features in the new web version you will need to use the new desktop version and not legacy!

My desktop version (I'm running on a new Mac Air 2021) tells me I have the latest upgrade, 7.14.  Frankly, I'm at a loss - I'm simply a "user," not a tech person, who's used EN since 2010 and generally been reasonably happy w/ it.  At this point, though, I'm about to cancel and go to either Apple Notes & Reminders or Zoho Notebook.  I feel like it's virtually impossible to get any sort of support or simple questions answered by anyone at EN (perhaps they just don't care <sigh>).  Very frustrated and, frankly, tired.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Well, 7.14 is the old, legacy client. It runs stable, but is end-of-life, no bug fixes, no further development.

The new Version 10 was launched about a year ago. It is on a fast release schedule, approximately 1 new version every 3 or 4 weeks.

You can download it from the EN website. Open Evernote.com, and on the first page scroll down. Select „Download App“, and it will take you to the Download Page. The download will start usually right away, placing a dmg-file in your Macs download folder. Or use the download link provided by @DTLow .

Before installing make sure your 7.14 client is fully synced and closed.

v10 does not have local notebooks - it offers an option to upload them to the server (not anybody wants this). V10 is completely running from the cloud, local data is only for offline use. On the other hand all new features are only available through v10 (or the web).

24 minutes ago, Thor Skog said:

I feel like it's virtually impossible to get any sort of support or simple questions answered by anyone at EN (perhaps they just don't care <sigh>).  Very frustrated and, frankly, tired.

Fortunately you asked the question in this forum and had your question answered in under an hour by members of the fantastic Evernote community of fellow users!

• Like 3

Thanks, Mike & Pinky (Members Extraordinaire of the Most Exalted and Beneficent Fantastical Fellowship of Evernote Necromancers and Thaumaturgists! ) I have now successfully (& finally) downloaded and installed the updated version.  I'm finally in a position to see if my poor, tired, aged grey matter can find a way to implement and use these new features.  TBH, I've found Apple Notes to be a very simple app to use in my personal Apple ecosystem, but since I've used EN for almost 12 years, I'm loathe to give it up without at making least a stab at understanding how the new updates might help.  Again, thanks!

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Apple Notes is ok, not comparable but ok when you are in the Apple ecosystem. It will even get a simple tagging method with MacOS 12 and iOS 15.

One downside: You would be locked in. Only way is to export note by note to pdf - or script your way to the exit.

Yep, I've thought of that (being "locked in," etc.) and, for me, that's not really a big thing since I don't anticipate leaving their ecosystem.  The main reason I even considered it, frankly, was due to the new features in EN were a bit confusing.  I've used EN for a good while now, but mostly as a "storage system" for notes, etc.; it can do so much more, but it's the "doing it" that hard.  TBH, as a 1 man business (insurance) with no staff or "team," finding ways to be productive is very important, but finding the time to figure out "how" to use my "tools" (like my Zoho CRM & its new features, plus, now, EN's too) in an efficient manner is hard (most organizations like EN, etc. seem to be aiming at small - medium sized businesses with "teams" working on "projects," etc., not at micro-sized firms &/or solo operators, etc.).  I think the new features - Home; Tasks; Google cal integration, etc. - are pretty swell ..... figuring out how to (a) set them up and (b) what / how I need them is a bit more daunting.  Now, to get the most out of the new EN features, I need to upgrade to professional (almost doubling my cost), so, much as I like EN (& I do), I'm questioning if it's worth both the money and the time/effort to learn "how" to use it efficiently.  Ah, well ... 

• Level 5

You may think about the "Professional" level - it was designed with solo-entrepreneurs, freelancers, consultants, project managers and the like in mind.

It has improved collaboration tools (like assigning tasks to others, and having special views to track them), allows to link several calendars (at the moment only Google calendars - there are threads in the forum about how to link an Apple calendar to Google, and then the Google twin to EN) and tailor the "Home" view to work like a real dashboard.

But maybe get used to the new features first, it is quite something to digest.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Hey Thor, thank you for describing the almost identical experience I've had with Evernote since getting on board back in 2009. You have articulated perfectly my sentiment.

I have a similar work situation as you, solo proprietor, no time for deep learning curve, it's just me. When I get ambitious and decide I want to learn to use some of the features of EN it takes a good full morning or afternoon going down that rabbit hole.  As a result I have a lot of half baked notebooks and notes that were interrupted because I had a deadline, phone call, email come in and had to abandon the goal of "getting this organized".

So just echoing your experience. I'll keep EN for all the history of my life that it holds, but just wish it wasn't so clunky and that it had a better support option than the community forum which I've turned to many times and have had to scroll and scroll for the specifics of the issue, question or topic I'm seeking help with. Nine times out of ten I leave the search and yet another incomplete loop is left open. It's an energy leak.

Yes, the new look is a big improvement, but without spending a couple of hours on youtube looking at other people's explanation of EN in order to know how to benefit from these "features"  all the pretty layouts and widgets (which there is now an uncharge for) don't hold much value for me. 

• Level 5

There is a good official YT channel run by Evernote with solid footage. The videos are usually short (4-5min), they even have some 30sec clips on some topics.

Not to learn the tools of your craft never helped to mastery. Whether it is learning EN or any other virtue, or just thinking about how to develop business - you need to make it a habit to reserve time for yourself.

For EN I would learn how to search and use the filters - because this works on the note level, even if everything is on a heap, no notebooks, no tags. Search on Professional is better, because it has boolean operators.

Next step is to think about a good structure. Personally I believe that notebooks should be on a very high level (maybe only an Inbox, plus one Business and one Private). All more detailed organizing is better applied through tags.

And talking about habits: Reserve an hour or half of an hour every week to review the new notes, purge some, merge others, organize them and look for action items. It is worth the time, and you can spend the whole week just collecting, not organizing and planning.

• Like 2