Numbered list and sub-list labels

vincekd

Idea

Having sub-ordered lists repeating numbers at every level (1. > 1. > 1. > 1.) is very unhelpful, especially given how easy this is to implement in html:

<ol type="1"><li><ol type="a"><li>test</li></ol></li></ol>

Are there any plans to fix this in the near future?

• Like 1

15 replies to this idea

On 8/12/2021 at 4:42 PM, PinkElephant said:

There is nothing to fix, because nothing is broken.

ENs editing capabilities are those of a simple note taking app, lean & clean. Personally I think they should keep it that way - nobody really needs another bloated piece of editing software, because everybody has / can get one anyhow.

If you want advanced formatting, you need to use a bloated piece of editing software, like a word processor or a page layouting program. You can attach the file to the note.

This isn't a very helpful response. I just solved the problem in a line of code, so I'm not sure what you're talking about with bloat. It's an html app, and this is a built-in capability of html.

Personally I think the indent after 1 should be a, 1 following 1 really doesn’t make any sense in my view. The whole point of lists is surely to keep track of things and if someone just wants dots, use those, using numbers indicates the need for a more structured ordering. I would like it to be 

A
     B
2 etc. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5
27 minutes ago, WilliamL said:

Personally I think the indent after 1 should be a, 1 following 1 really doesn’t make any sense in my view. The whole point of lists is surely to keep track of things and if someone just wants dots, use those, using numbers indicates the need for a more structured ordering. I would like it to be 

A
     B
2 etc. 

Yes, I just had to create a simple outline within a note, getting something like:

1. Introduction
    1. Sub A
    2. Sub B
  2. Point one
    1. Sub A
    2. Sub B
  3. Point two
    1. Sub A
    2. Sub B
    3. Sub C
  4. Conclusion
When I copied it over into a real word processor, I had to massage this to get what I wanted (with A, B... under each number). But then this forum does the exact same thing as Evernote, and it's far from the only place I've seen it. Others are much worse (Wordpad continues the consecutive numbering within an indented section). I don't feel an urgent need for Evernote to fix this, since I don't expect to write things in final form in it.
6 hours ago, WilliamL said:

A
     B
2 etc. 

Yes. I agree. The use of different ordinal systems for different nested levels is really important. They can be anything -- Roman numerals, Arabic numerals, capital letters, lowercase letters --- it doesn't matter to me which level of nesting uses which system. But it should be different from the previous level.

It's not that I want EN to be a more sophisticated piece of editing software. In a funny way, it's the opposite: I need EN to play nicely with simpler applications. If I copy an EN note and paste it into a basic text app that doesn't do formatting, the EN formatting is stripped out. That becomes a problem without the kind of thing described above. So if EN could do this:

A
     B

it would be no problem. Paste that into a simple app that strips away formatting, and it looks like this:

A
B

Even though the indentation is gone, it's still fairly easy to see the different levels of nested lists, the hierarchy of items. As it stands, though, if we want nested lists, EN can only do this:

Pasting that into the simpler app will look like this:

It becomes difficult -- if not impossible -- to see the hierarchy of items.

Even worse was the following. I saw this happen once, though I can't recall the simpler app involved:

EN nested list:

became:

which was totally useless.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

There is nothing to fix, because nothing is broken.

ENs editing capabilities are those of a simple note taking app, lean & clean. Personally I think they should keep it that way - nobody really needs another bloated piece of editing software, because everybody has / can get one anyhow.

If you want advanced formatting, you need to use a bloated piece of editing software, like a word processor or a page layouting program. You can attach the file to the note.

On 8/14/2021 at 5:12 PM, janndk said:

List types (bullets, numbers, checkboxes) can be combined various ways in Evernote.evernote-listtypes.png.40268040c137641da0771dc8680ade28.png

How did you do that? I haven't been able to figure it out. (EN for Mac, EN for iPhone)

Edited by orpheus
forgot to include info about which system I'm using.
24 minutes ago, orpheus said:

How did you do that? I haven't been able to figure it out.

Just make a list as usual, add nested list items <tab> and change the list type in the menu bar.

image.png.0d33dbb055549ea78bcd2823bcb8e27e.png

1 hour ago, orpheus said:

Edited 53 minutes ago by orpheus
forgot to include info about which system I'm using.

I'm using EN windows and EN android - works fine in both.

6 hours ago, janndk said:

Just make a list as usual, add nested list items <tab> and change the list type in the menu bar.

image.png.0d33dbb055549ea78bcd2823bcb8e27e.png

Strange, that didn't work for me a little while ago; it works fine now. Thank you.

On 7/8/2022 at 1:00 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Yes, I just had to create a simple outline within a note, getting something like:

1. Introduction
    1. Sub A
    2. Sub B
  2. Point one
    1. Sub A
    2. Sub B
  3. Point two
    1. Sub A
    2. Sub B
    3. Sub C
  4. Conclusion
When I copied it over into a real word processor, I had to massage this to get what I wanted (with A, B... under each number). But then this forum does the exact same thing as Evernote, and it's far from the only place I've seen it. Others are much worse (Wordpad continues the consecutive numbering within an indented section). I don't feel an urgent need for Evernote to fix this, since I don't expect to write things in final form in it.

I agree, an alphanumeric list would be better than plain old numbered list. Can we request for this feature? I understand I shouldn't create a new thread if one is existent.

Edited by ChrstnaLne
Requesting feature
  • Level 5
15 hours ago, ChrstnaLne said:

I agree, an alphanumeric list would be better than plain old numbered list. Can we request for this feature? I understand I shouldn't create a new thread if one is existent.

This is a feature-request forum, so you can click on the upward pointing arrow at the top of this page to vote up the idea. So far it only has 1 vote.