Copying hyperlinks in notes (external not other notes)

Becky M.

Idea

In the legacy version, it used to be possible to right-click on any hyperlink and get the option "copy link."  Now in version 10+, you have to highlight the surrounding text and the hyperlink, the right-click and select "copy" and then "paste" the link and delete the extra text if you are copying the link into an email for example. This is not to be confused with sharing a note or notebook, but a hyperlink for a separate website/form/etc. outside of Evernote.  I would love to have the ease of a single right-click on the hyperlink to copy the full link and then paste be included back in Version 10+.

• Like 4

15 replies to this idea

Totally agree with this! This is one of those little details that makes a big difference in the efficiency of using the app. 

Also, not sure why, but I can't "upvote" this post. Anyone know what I'm missing? Can you only upvote certain types of posts here in the forum?

2021-08-11_17-41-28.thumb.png.114a0ffb596b742c23006a411423c3b8.png

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, Stacey said:

Also, not sure why, but I can't "upvote" this post. Anyone know what I'm missing? Can you only upvote certain types of posts here in the forum?

I  moved the discussion from the Issues forum to the Requests forum     
As a request, there's a user vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

• Thanks 2
12 hours ago, Becky M. said:

In the legacy version, it used to be possible to right-click on any hyperlink and get the option "copy link."  Now in version 10+, you have to highlight the surrounding text and the hyperlink, the right-click and select "copy" and then "paste" the link and delete the extra text if you are copying the link into an email for example. This is not to be confused with sharing a note or notebook, but a hyperlink for a separate website/form/etc. outside of Evernote.  I would love to have the ease of a single right-click on the hyperlink to copy the full link and then paste be included back in Version 10+.

I agree. The easiest sequence i've found (on windows desktop) is:

• hover over the link text and then select edit OR right click and edit
  • <tab> (cursor moves to the link field and the entire link is automatically highlighted)
  • ctrl-C

This works for internal note links as well. The note url has a "copy url" option and it would be nice for consistency if that was also true for links  - both external websites and internal note links.

image.png.67ef10049b2945103457e9dc94862795.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Evernote please. Just implement this. It was in previous versions. There is already an "Unlink" option when you right click anywhere on an external link, so your app already knows it's a link!!! I used this 10+ times a day in the legacy versions. It's just so simple. It's an option in Chrome, Safari, Slack, and who knows how many other apps. Please just add it

+1 

The option to "copy link" seems fairly standard. Please implement! 

I mainly have an issue in the desktop app (Mac) with external links opening in my default browser, so it would also be nice if we had an "Open With" option. 
But just being able to easily "copy link" would help a lot. 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, AdamTheDesigner said:

The option to "copy link" seems fairly standard. Please implement! 

Hi.  You're adding to a 16-month old thread.  As far as I know,  copying a link is easy and quick - why are you having an issue?

Hi. As I said, my issue is in the Mac desktop app (10.50.10-mac-ddl-public). I would like to have a "copy link" option when I hover over the link and/or right-click, which is currently not available for me. Are you saying you can do this in the Windows version?

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, AdamTheDesigner said:

Hi. As I said, my issue is in the Mac desktop app (10.50.10-mac-ddl-public). I would like to have a "copy link" option when I hover over the link and/or right-click, which is currently not available for me. Are you saying you can do this in the Windows version?

It depends on the link and where you're copying from (a note / web page / email) but broadly yes - same version of Evernote (for Windows),  and highlight / right-click seems to bring up a copy or an edit menu...

35 minutes ago, gazumped said:

It depends on the link and where you're copying from (a note / web page / email) but broadly yes - same version of Evernote (for Windows),  and highlight / right-click seems to bring up a copy or an edit menu...

Really? If you hover over over or right click a link in the Windows desktop version of EN there is no option to copy that link. The only way of copying a link is to manually copy and paste. You can do that directly by selecting the link text and copying it or if you want the link without the accompanying text (if there is any) you can do it through the link edit menu (see my post above 12 Aug 2021).

• Like 1

To clarify, here is an example of the type of link I'll use in my notes, usually to avoid showing long urls: 

260834306_Evernotehyperlinkoptions.thumb.jpg.7c11519cf1f2949f608fc74ff5d74fcb.jpg

All I'm asking for is the option to "copy link". Most of my other apps have a "copy link" option, seems pretty basic if you are allowing links in the first place. Currently, as Mike P noted, my only option is to choose "Edit" in order to access the link and then manually copy the URL. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

So to support your deliberately masking the longer URL from being highlighted and copied normally,  you'd prefer to have Evernote develop a way to copy and paste the the underlying URL with a single keystroke.  Any idea how many thousands of dollars Evernote would have to spend for the development work to make this available?  I somehow doubt it will be available soon...

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, AdamTheDesigner said:

here is an example of the type of link I'll use in my notes, usually to avoid showing long urls: 

50 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

That's not 'deliberately masking'

Seems like a user choice to me...