worried about all in cloud architecture of v10 because of enviremental impact

v2belleville

Idea

Hi Evernote team,

I'm still trying v10 but the tasks management features are really great and take EN to the next level !

I'm worried about the choice to ignore local data base as soon as a connection exists though : does that mean every time I make a typo, it gets sent to the cloud and then the correction is also sent and when I delete and rephrase the whole thing also gets sent again ?

This sounds like it's using sooo much resources for something that could be done locally !

Did you look into the environmental impact of such a choice ?

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, v2belleville said:

Hi Evernote team,

I'm still trying v10 but the tasks management features are really great and take EN to the next level !

I'm worried about the choice to ignore local data base as soon as a connection exists though : does that mean every time I make a typo, it gets sent to the cloud and then the correction is also sent and when I delete and rephrase the whole thing also gets sent again ?

This sounds like it's using sooo much resources for something that could be done locally !

Did you look into the environmental impact of such a choice ?

Hi.  We're a mainly user 2 user Forum. You'd have to ask Support for more detail on that.  Given that you can work offline if you wish,  I'd say personal power consumption is entirely under your own control.  If your PC is switched on,  I'd say there's no detectable difference between local and cloud saving - your PC is already drawing 1million times more power than is required for either operation...

https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new   

• Level 5

Everybody running his own personal data center is worse, seen from an ecological view. In cloud centers users share equipment efficiently, whereas at home the Gadgets mostly sit idle.

Everything used for manufacturing is completely underutilized when sitting around in a million homes.

When it is replaced for newer equipment, privately used hardware often has only delivered a fraction of its designed lifetime output.

I’m not sure how much worse than local it is, ie how much power cloud adds, especially as far as I can tell the google servers EN uses are low carbon are they not? I don’t think google is as aggressive as Microsoft when it comes to going green but they are headed that way.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, WilliamL said:

I’m not sure how much worse than local it is, ie how much power cloud adds, especially as far as I can tell the google servers EN uses are low carbon are they not? I don’t think google is as aggressive as Microsoft when it comes to going green but they are headed that way.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-clean-is-cloud-computing-new-data-reveals-how-green-googles-data-centers-really-are/

• Like 1

thks @gazumped for the note about asking the support , I'll do that. but what is the purpose of this section of the forum called "evernote team resquest" if the evernote team does not read it ?? name is misleading ...

my question is not about using a data center (if @pinkelephant has reference to study about the difference of impact between centralized data center and more distributed solution, I'd be interested, because I know some people are investigating solutions for data center shared by inhabitants of an urban building. have not found anything about the difference of impact though)

because my question is about the stream over internet Resources consumption is not just about the data center itself, it is also about sending information over the network. as I was illustrating in my question, I have a feeling sending typo and correction back and forth over the network use more resources than making the modifications locally and only sending modification to the cloud every now and then, they way it was done before v10. but intuition can be wrong, hence my question about an evaluation of the impact of this change in v10.

because trying to use more renewable energy is well and good but the most certain way of reducing our environmental impact is to reduce our use of resources in every possible ways !...

• Level 5

Sharing a data center in an urban building is probably the worst solution - in terms of IT security and sustainability.

Without competent admin support (which will cost money, and not small coin) it will be bricked by ransom attack or misuse. I doubt somebody is prepared to pay a 3 digit amount per month* just to avoid "the evil cloud". I know what it means - I am running 2 NAS systems (1 dedicated to backup only) myself.

(*) Estimate based of the cost of the IT infrastructure, its time of use and replacement, other running cost and an IT-admin salary or service fee, part time.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, v2belleville said:

it is also about sending information over the network. as I was illustrating in my question, I have a feeling sending typo and correction back and forth over the network use more resources than making the modifications locally and only sending modification to the cloud every now and then

Unless you're a very experienced network engineer (which I'm not) it's not worth discussing the actual mechanics of sharing information over the internet - but think of it like a very large ocean of information at one side of which is you,  and the other is Evernote.  The ocean is always there,  it's always 'on' - you 'share' information by adding a drop of data at your location which has a beacon attached which only Evernote can see.  That data is washed by lightspeed currents over to Evernote' shore,  where it is retrieved and actioned;  and if a response or a query is required,  a beacon is added which your system recognises more or less instantaneously.  I doubt anyone has measured what infinitesimal cost in entropy is involved in any one transaction.

What is on your side (IMHO) is pure corporate greed - server components fail and cost money to replace; farms generate tons of heat - so much so that there have been experiments to house them underwater - they'll probably soon go to space with a nice sunshade attached.  So experiments are ongoing to minimise the impact of all parts of the operation.  And more efficient and cost-effective they are,  the less power they consume,  the less the environmental cost.

• Like 1