Dancing with Evernote: Internal tagging, 2 windows

In my seventies, writer of prose and poems, I want my 13-year relationship with Evernote to be like my 52-year marriage: resourceful, good-humored, affectionate. I've looked fondly at Roam and Notion, but find Evernote slowly gaining in the  functionality to do similarly creative, 2nd-brain things. ONE. A test and example word: take an odd word like "smigma" and plant it in this format -- "_smigma" -- in any 5 notes deep in your database. Then go to the Search window and type it in the same format: quotation mark, underscore, the word smigma, then a closing quotation mark, like so: <"_smigma">. That search will find all 5 inline tags in the contexts of their notes. Casting your eye on the found instances of your seminal keywords/tags  should set your mind alight.  TWO: I'm doing side-by-side windows. Working on a poem, I set up another tab of Evernote web and make a note for rough work on the poem. I make a web link in the original version to the rough version and work happily with them side-by-side.

Edited by Patricius
accuracy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

Hi. Thanks for the tips! :)

Similar age and experience over here - I use "x" to indicate a keyword - as in xReceipt - and "|" to indicate 'notebook' - as in |Amazon. 

I have a LOT of notes in Evernote and while I've gone through various ways to manage the volume,  I'm now using something that Roam was probably based on: Workflowy - as outliner / lister / quick look-up table and temporary notes host. 

I tab between WF and Evernote when I need to,  and this is where the "|Amazon" searches come into their own because I can get to a bullet 'parent' very quickly if I need to find or save some content.

Maybe we can attract some others to post tips and tricks here - I only hang around the forums because every so often someone comes up with a comment that makes me think...  (couldn't find a lightbulb...)

• Level 5*
On 8/8/2021 at 9:07 AM, Patricius said:

Internal tagging

Thanks for the post    
Is there a reason you're using "internal tagging" (keywords) instead of Evernote tags   

Thanks for the response. Tried your idea. Neither "x" nor "|" works in Evernote as a search starter the same way as the underscore _. But you must have meant, these things work in WorkFlowy. But see, I'm trying here to love the one I'm with. So I'm sticking as far as possible with the green elephant. :) 

DTLow, tagging in Evernote leads you to the overall note. But you can't find the particular paragraph or context that embedded the tag's meaning in a way that excited you, and made you want to return to this granular context. E.g. if as a poet I'm learning to write a sestina, and in a long note I quote lines from a brilliant use of the sestina I want to remember, a tag is too cumbersome. An inline tag takes you right to the lines, guided in your search by "_sestina". You can cast your eye on the window on the right for several such granular sestina usages. Better this than Evernote tagging system IMO.

• Level 5*
On 8/9/2021 at 11:16 AM, Patricius said:

tagging in Evernote leads you to the overall note. But you can't find the particular paragraph or context that embedded the tag's meaning ...

I do use embedded keywords, but use an applescript to draw from a master list (the EN tag list)

Well, DTLow, you're a bit above my pay grade, me being a non-techie. I have many many EN tags, and to be honest don't look forward to applying my work-around to a multitude of inline tags (lack of a better word). I'm in the PC world, but if in Apple would be interested in your Applescript. What I do like about my approach, which is in the early stages, is that I can have fine-tuned concepts that are granular and to the moment -- even epiphanies in a few cases. I'm thinking, not just applying a tag to return later. Using EN tags for fine work is like painting with a big Sharpie. 

On 8/8/2021 at 5:07 PM, Patricius said:

I set up another tab of Evernote web and make a note for rough work on the poem. I make a web link in the original version to the rough version and work happily with them side-by-side.

Same! I have a note I call my "Side Hustle" for journally jottings