Stack menus missing or not working on windows platforms

Hi

At present on my windows pc using web version of Evernote:

• Rename Stack menu not visible 
  • Create new stack menu not visible
  • Cannot rename stacks
  • If you remove one note book from stack other stack menus appear

This is very poor as these are fundamental menus for organisation of my notes.

Please can anyone advise what's going on here?

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, AuthorM said:

Hi

• Cannot rename stacks

If you were previously able to do this in the web version,  it's possible to revert to the pre-v10 version on the web version as follows:

> Go to https://www.evernote.com/PersonalSettings.action
> Uncheck "Enable V10+ web client" 
> Select "Go to notes"  

If you weren't able to do this previously,  then it's not a bug;  Evernote just hasn't added the option to the web version yet.  (Unknown if they are planning / able to do so)

On 8/5/2021 at 9:41 AM, AuthorM said:

Hi

• Cannot rename stacks

You don't say where you are looking for these menus. For me on the web version on Chrome if I click "Notebooks" in the sidebar I get the full notebooks menu. If I use the three dots menu next to a stack I can delete it or rename it. If I use the three dots next to a notebook I can add it to an existing stack or create a new stack.

image.png.58c6e4562d7cc696fc9ef0d9b668630d.png

image.png.870e6a473a60548d582f2a42205586c3.png

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

Hi,

Sorry, I'm very late to the party here.  I too, just this morning, tried to add a new stack to my notebooks and was met with frustration and confusion.  I'm using the Windows 10 client.  Having to create a new notebook first, then add the new notebook to a new stack through hidden context menus (show above by Mike P) is very cumbersome and extremely poor UI design.  Great that this functionality is there for organizing your notebooks afterwards, I guess, but very unintuitive when creating stacks and notebooks from the start, especially when you can use the left "tree view" to move stacks and notebooks at will, including renaming and removing a stack.  But not create a new stack from the left menu?  Very odd.

I can see why this design was chosen as you are not able to have an empty stack exist.  If you have a stack and remove the last notebook, the stack is also deleted.  Clearly, stacks are a virtual concept and cannot be maintained once all the notebooks are removed from the stack.  This would make it impossible to create an empty stack directly from the "tree view" then add Notebooks to it.

Was this design a conscious choice?  Or an issue with the UI?  I checked your iPadOS Evernote app and it has the exact same UI experience.  So I feel this was a limited design choice and not a bug in the UI?

• Level 5

This is deeply rooted in the data model. When stacks were added, they were not added as an entity to the datastructure.

Stacks are dynamic: They exist only as a field in the notebook entity. When a value is entered into this field, a stack is created out of the blue. There is no stack entity created, it’s only this value in the field of the notebook.

This internal structure is 1:1 reproduced in the way how stacks are created.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jason RS said:

But not create a new stack from the left menu? 

You can create a new stack from the sidebar but only from an existing notebook. ie you can not create an empty stack.

image.png.cbd2142779b58156579793207816ef66.png

While I understand that we might have a model in our minds that starts with stacks and works down, as @PinkElephant has explained stacks are more a way of grouping together existing notebooks. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Rashid Kotwal said:

I'm using the web version - and can't see any way to rename a stack?  Is this a case of creating a new stack with the name I want and then moving all the notebooks into it?

No.  @Mike P has a screenshot of it above. Click on 'Notebooks' in the side bar. It shows you all the stacks. Click on the '...' on the right side of the stack and then select 'Rename Stack' from the popup menu.

• Like 1