Find open tasks in all notes- but keep tasks with original note

IBGoldberg

Idea

In earlier versions- I seem to remember that I could search for only UNCHECKED check boxes- that does not seem to be the case any longer.

The use case here is simple.  I meet with about 30 clients a month.  In those meetings, I need to document to do's for me as well as topics that i need to check in about in future meetings.  Searching for uncompleted tasks included the notes that had the open checkboxes.

The addition of Tasks creates a centralized to do list- but loses the connection to the original note- meaning I have not not only enter the check in content but the client name as well.  Ideally, the task would remain with the original note and could be aggregated into an all open tasks page as well.  While the "todo list" functions are  fine aggregated on a page, I need the item to be on the original client's note so that when we talk again next month- I am reminded of the open items for our conversation.

This was manageable when I could search for unchecked check boxes and Evernote would return a list.  I had to scroll to find the client page.  Now- I can only see all pages with checkboxes so I get every page with all the closed items to page through.

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5

I don’t really understand the post in general: EN tasks are build to be added to notes, which means to any note. If you have a note on the client, you can add one, two, many tasks to it. Only if no note is assigned when creating a task, it will be placed in the „general“ tasks note.

To search for tasks, you can use the search syntax with the CONTAINS argument:

On 8/4/2021 at 7:59 PM, IBGoldberg said:

In earlier versions- I seem to remember that I could search for only UNCHECKED check boxes- that does not seem to be the case any longer.

The 

todo:false

method of searching for unchecked checkboxes (and checklist items) still seems to work for me.

On 8/4/2021 at 7:59 PM, IBGoldberg said:

Ideally, the task would remain with the original note and could be aggregated into an all open tasks page as well.

Like @PinkElephantI'm a bit confused. What you describe as your ideal is exactly how tasks work. Tasks sit in notes and are pulled together in the various task views. You can seach for notes containing uncompleted tasks or you can look in the note tab of the task view. If you create a task in isolation and don't assign it to a particular note then it will end up in the default task note. However if you are in a note and add a task to it, it will obviously be in that note. It seems like the calendar-task-note integration is designed to work for exactly your situation.

By note view of tasks:

image.png.d2dcea3bd7c621fa6ff158aa4aa1ba0e.png

• Like 1