Ability to Modify Updated Date

righteousdork

Idea

Maybe this is already in the pipeline.  If not and there are no plans to add it, please let me know.  It's primarily the main reason why I'm still using the legacy app along with the current release.  When I work with my bills in Evernote, I generally make the Created Date be the statement date and then Updated Date is when I pay it.  It's very handy being able to update both.

• Like 6

18 replies to this idea

• Level 5

I don’t doubt it makes sense for you, thanks for explaining this part of your workflow.

It crosses my mind why this should be necessary. How often do you really look this up, or need to reproduce what happened in this nitty-bitty detail ?

My workflow is pretty simple: When I receive an invoice, I enter it right away in my banking software. Usually i pay once a week what has accumulated. I then scan the invoice, and tag it for example for the tax declaration. Tax stuff is collected physically for legal reasons, the rest goes to the shredder.

Each invoice carries the vendor name, a date and an invoice number - I don’t care if I received it 2 days after, the date is in the OCR. All payments carry the vendor name and the invoice number as well, are collected in my banking software, and in the monthly bank statements. They are OCRed as well. I usually need a single search (for the invoice number, or the vendor name) and get all notes related to the invoice.

Personally I don’t see any value in manipulating the notes dates, just to set it precisely to where I want it to be. It can be done, but I don’t see a use case for it.

• Level 5

I love the ability to change the date field. I collect genealogical information from the past. It makes so much more sense to change the wedding date of a relative from today's note to the actual date they got married. Ditto for their birth date and other important dates. I also change both the date and time when I create a note as my reminder for an appt or task in the future. Same applies to accumulated receipts which generally don't get scanned for several days.

• Like 4
38 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

I don’t doubt it makes sense for you, thanks for explaining this part of your workflow.

It crosses my mind why this should be necessary. How often do you really look this up, or need to reproduce what happened in this nitty-bitty detail ?

My workflow is pretty simple: When I receive an invoice, I enter it right away in my banking software. Usually i pay once a week what has accumulated. I then scan the invoice, and tag it for example for the tax declaration. Tax stuff is collected physically for legal reasons, the rest goes to the shredder.

Each invoice carries the vendor name, a date and an invoice number - I don’t care if I received it 2 days after, the date is in the OCR. All payments carry the vendor name and the invoice number as well, are collected in my banking software, and in the monthly bank statements. They are OCRed as well. I usually need a single search (for the invoice number, or the vendor name) and get all notes related to the invoice.

Personally I don’t see any value in manipulating the notes dates, just to set it precisely to where I want it to be. It can be done, but I don’t see a use case for it.

Thanks for throwing in your two cents on how something I use ALL THE TIME isn't useful for you.  That's real helpful.
🙄

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

I love the ability to change the date field. I collect genealogical information from the past. It makes so much more sense to change the wedding date of a relative from today's note to the actual date they got married. Ditto for their birth date and other important dates. I also change both the date and time when I create a note as my reminder for an appt or task in the future. Same applies to accumulated receipts which generally don't get scanned for several days.

Yeah I get that.  It's very handy having two dates you can modify on a note.  I've used it on numerous occasions to sort of pin upcoming bills to the top of my notes list.  Maybe it's very challenging to do with the new infrastructure.  I haven't heard it mentioned anywhere else, so I'm mostly curious if it's coming back or not.  If not, I need to rethink my workflows.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Yes, I think it is good to discuss the how, what and especially the why. Maybe I think „what a cool idea is this“. Or you think „right, why do I waste all that effort for never using that information again“.

That is one idea behind the forum - we can exchange use cases. There is no true or false in use cases, and learning never stops.

You can even dismiss this idea of some openminded exchange here (which would make me wonder why you ever come to the forum if you already know it all …).

• Like 1

Here's a prime example of why it's beneficial to me:

image.png.92a5986fbd39eb3b477d7ce6858dbce1.png

Oh no.  I missed tagging the bill from March that was paid on Apr 10.  Now when I add the tags, the Updated date changes even though I did nothing else to the note.
It sure would be nice to change it back and keep all my notes where I had them.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, righteousdork said:

Created Date be the statement date and then Updated Date is when I pay it

fwiw  My solution is to add a "Subject Date" to my notes   
           by prefixing the date to the title, for example 2021-07-01 Statement [Shaw Internet] ....

For payment date, I use the Reminder feature

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

fwiw  My solution is to add a "Subject Date" to my notes   
           by prefixing the date to the title, for example 2021-07-01 Statement [Shaw Internet] ....

For payment date, I use the Reminder feature

That's a good idea.  I also feel like I might be able to get around some of it by sort order.  I wonder if there's a way to specify the sort order in a saved search.  Anyone have any luck with that?

We shouldn't have to "work around" the ability to edit the UPDATED date field.  As users we choose how to manage the dates field for our items. I appreciate the, "You shouldn't use it that way" and "There is a better way", but this should be the users decision.Z

The fact that CREATE is editable is evidence that EN has the ability to make the UPDATED field editable.

The reason(s) not to restore the ability to edit UPDATED is; 1) there is philosophical opposition to allowing that field to be edited, 2) prioritizing the backlog of requested enhancements, 3) A new (to the current version vs the Legacy version) foundational reliance on the UPDATE date not changing.  I can't think of another reason why that capability hasn't been brought forward to the new releases.

I desperately hope it is #2 because then we have a chance of getting that capability back. I can't move off Legacy until I have that in the new software.

• Like 3

It is very annoying when an old note gets its updated date modified simply because I have corrected a spelling mistake or some other detail. I want to preserve the date on which the note content was last properly updated and I used to do this by copying the data and pasting it back into the field after making a minor change to the note.

I always sort my notes in updated date order, so the notes I worked on most recently come to the top. This means that the ability to edit the updated metadata field is key functionality for me. I very much regret its loss.

Why allow users to edit the created date field but not the updated date?

• Like 4

One of the advantages of Evernote is to accommodate different workflows. It doesn't matter why people want to be able to change "updated" field, just that lots of people  (including me) seem find the feature useful. It was (is) available in legacy. I can't imagine that it would be too hard to make that field editable. I agree that this one a handful of reasons that I keep going back to legacy.

• Like 2

Do we have an official response from the Evernote dev team?

I often edit notes for typos, formatting. I do not want them to bubble to the top.

The Windows legacy client allowed this.

Now the new products don't.

I too find it odd that the Created date can be revised but not both in the new products.

I worry this is philosophical (but again, why give access to any date?).

Will this field be opened up? If not, I'm going to have to figure out a different way to sort.

Which will surely be a hack.

So, any new news?

• Like 2
On 1/19/2022 at 3:46 AM, blakesphere said:

Do we have an official response from the Evernote dev team?

I often edit notes for typos, formatting. I do not want them to bubble to the top.

The Windows legacy client allowed this.

Now the new products don't.

I too find it odd that the Created date can be revised but not both in the new products.

I worry this is philosophical (but again, why give access to any date?).

Will this field be opened up? If not, I'm going to have to figure out a different way to sort.

Which will surely be a hack.

So, any new news?

I've raised this as a ticket for what good it will do. 3 years after v10 it's still not fixed.

15 minutes ago, 4d4m said:

3 years after v10 it's still not fixed.

That's assuming it is broken. The ability to change the update date is fairly pointless given that a whole lot of actions trigger an update - moving notebook, adding tags etc etc. It's therefore very unlikley that the update date a user chose would survive for very long. This can obviously be changed (and people have asked for that) but I'm just pointing out that it is not as simple as it might seem and requires a change in what constitutes an update which may well have other consequences.

21 minutes ago, Mike P said:

That's assuming it is broken. The ability to change the update date is fairly pointless given that a whole lot of actions trigger an update - moving notebook, adding tags etc etc. It's therefore very unlikley that the update date a user chose would survive for very long. This can obviously be changed (and people have asked for that) but I'm just pointing out that it is not as simple as it might seem and requires a change in what constitutes an update which may well have other consequences.

I don't agree, it was a feature offered for years up to and including Legacy and it's a valid use case used by a lot of their customers that I think Evernote have dropped the ball on. They removed it in v10; either consciously removed it from the feature list, or as v10 was a ground-up rearchitecting they neglected to include in the feature list. 

The bit I've highlighted is another issue; a behaviour that they have changed in v10.  Changing metadata like tags and notebook should not update the "Updated Date" which should apply just to note content. I think the fact changes to metadata started to effect a change in update date only since v10 has driven more people to try to edit the updated date.

37 minutes ago, 4d4m said:

The bit I've highlighted is another issue; a behaviour that they have changed in v10.

My point is simply that if you want to be able to change the update date it will only really work if EN stops updating it whenever you edit meta data. Otherwise the workflow could easily look like

• Manually change update date while the note is in the default notebook
  • Move the note to it's proper notebook
  • EN changes the update date to the current date and time because you have moved the notebook.

I don't think you can have one change (editing update date) without the other (not updating when you chnage meta data)

@Mike P Yes the metadata update issue is a dependency for the ability to edit the date. The editability may be a design choice (a poor one IMHO), but the metadata update issue is either a bug itself or an unforeseen consequence of an ill thought out change.

• Like 1