Need ability to add tags to tasks

MissArdbeg

Idea

• Level 5*

A task is an attribute of the note.  That is how it has been architected, so a note is first needed as a container for the task.  If you create a task without assigning it to a note, it will be assigned automatically to a note called "Things to do".  

I see your point and would also like to assign a tag to the note when creating a task.  When you create a new task, they show you the note that it is assigned to and give you the ability to move it.  It would be nice if below that was a note tags item showing any current tags assigned to that note, and the ability to add or delete note tags from there.  I think that would accomplish what you are asking for.

Also, I would like to see a task view grouped by tag.

image.thumb.png.b0cfd8cc18687b62c2e2b4dc767066c3.png

• Like 4
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Excited Evernote User said:

TASKS on different lists (on computer, CALL ) coming from various projects. 

I added my vote
Until this request gets implemented, we have to work with tags at the note level   
I'm able to generate the "different lists" using saved searches    
I use an individual note for each task 

I moved the discussion from the IOS forum to the General forum

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I have just returned to Evernote as a task management system, and while I was excited at first, the lack of ability to tag tasks is making it less than useful. I literally have dozens or more tasks - things I want to track. I tried to make these each a note, and then link them into projects through tags and saved searches, but I found that cumbersome. Flag/no flag is not enough. Let me create my own priority system through tags and I'll be a happy camper.

• Like 6

Hi.

I would like the ability to create a plain old task and apply a tag to it without having to create a note first for it to “live” in. While the ability to flag a task is nice, I do not understand why the ability to tag a task was not part of the initial roll-out. This seems to be such a logical progression as opposed to introducing a brand new bit of functionality in “flags.”

• Like 2

Well, but Evernote has introduced reminders for notes years ago, clearly trying to cater to people who want to use it for managing tasks as well as for note taking. The beauty of that, in my opinion, was that it allowed me to task as well as all kinds of other information related to projects (background information, ideas, etc) in one searchable environment, in combination with Evernote's fabulous capture-everything capabilities. If I'd move to a plain task manager app, I'd lose that.

On 8/21/2022 at 10:19 PM, rlandsbaum said:

This could be partially solved by allowing the task view to include an option to group by the tasks identified in the note that includes the task.  It would also be helped if the flag wasn't binary (on or off). If you could set multiple flag colors and name them, you could then also group by flag (call, meet, go, read, etc.)

Great idea!

Also, being able to save searches done in the task tab would be great.

e.g. filtering in the task tab all the notes with a yellow flag and save the search as "Calls". So that you have the list of all the calls you have to make only by clicking the saved search (TSW applied to tasks) 

Hello,

I don't need to have the ability to tag task, because then I have tag notes en tasks. Maybe it is more simple for evernote to use the existing filtering option for notes.

I would be helped if you can filter tasks on note-tags and on notebook-stacks, notebooks and notes

Everywhere in Evernote you can filter on Tags, stacks, notebooks en notes.

It would als be very nice if the task list is shown, based on the selection of notes
And even better that you can pin the task list as a permanent sidebar.

I think that's to complex to build for Evernote and helps a lot for existing organization in Evernote and can support the GTD - methodology.

With regards,

Reinier van der Hoek

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, Marilyn123 said:

Let me create my own priority system through tags and I'll be a happy camper.

I'm interested in hearing details on your tag system

For myself, I'm applying tags at the note level, and using a single tag per note

• Like 1

I was under the impression that the creation of a task without first assigning it to a note would be classified as being a "stand-alone task." I had realized that the task was actually assigned to a note called "things to do." That is curious. If this is the case, then it makes even less sense why you providing the ability to tag a task wouldn't have been an easy option right out the gates on a first release basis. Curious.

• Level 5

This question touches at a foundation of EN: The server backend. This is where essential functions are performed.

EN is well set up to do a lot of things, like OCR for pictures (even handwriting) and pdfs, geolocation storage, reminders and the like. But if you look closer, everything is wrapped into an envelope, called a "note". The server handles notes, and in the metadata of the notes many things happen that make EN work.

Imagine having a complex data base build around notes - and now introducing a completely new entity called a "task". Think about the consequences ?!

That is the reason why tasks are attachments to notes (and if they don't have one, the system provides for it), and not free flying objects in the EN universe. If you want to tag a task, give him a envelope (a note) and tag the envelope.

I am by no way against tagging tasks, but it might be more difficult than it seems.

• Like 2
On 8/13/2021 at 9:43 PM, PinkElephant said:

Imagine having a complex data base build around notes - and now introducing a completely new entity called a "task". Think about the consequences ?!

Make sense. But i appreciate such a feature.

+1

• Like 1

I understand the difficulty with changing the status of notes, but I also note that the current implementation of tasks is fundamentally at odds with any GTD- oriented productivity approach in which tasks are the basic unit. With tasks living in notes, they are difficult to manage. Another but related issue I currently experience is that anything I capture with EN (eg., e-mails sent to EN, pictures taken, quick notes) becomes, of course, a note. Many of these things imply tasks belonging to existing projects, but currently I see no straightforward workflow for converting something that arrived as a note into a task belonging to an existing project. Any suggestion on that would be welcome. For now I'm sticking to my old system of keeping notes as actions with reminders attached, but I find that with the new version the use of reminders has become a lot less elegant.

First...I love that Evernote finally added a Task feature.

I would like to be able to add Tags to a Task. I have integrated Evernote with another app, and that app will populate tasks when it sees a Tag in Evernote. I wish I could just use Evernote for for my Tasks & Projects (without hacking it), but the way Evernote crams all Tasks into one note (Things to do) makes extra work for me. 

You can create a Task in any note, right?  

No need for them to all be in a "Things to do" note.

Just bringing this to your attention.  

My Tasks are not loading at all right now, so I came here to see if there was a solution, and saw your comment.

Hope this helps.  (and I hope I understood your comment properly 🙂  )

1 hour ago, Len15 said:

My Tasks are not loading at all right now, so I came here to see if there was a solution, and saw your comment.

You *can* create a Task in any Note. But if you just want to create a stand alone Task and don't want or need a Note to go along with it, then you're limited in your options of what you can do with that stand alone Task. It gets dumped into a default note (which is originally set up by evernote as Things to do). 

1 hour ago, Len15 said:

When you say that your Tasks are not loading, do you mean they're not loading in Evernote, or are you trying to integrate them with another app? Also, what platform are you on while you're trying to see your Tasks?

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Tammy819 said:

I would like to be able to add Tags to a Task. I have integrated Evernote with another app, and that app will populate tasks when it sees a Tag in Evernote. I wish I could just use Evernote for for my Tasks & Projects (without hacking it), but the way Evernote crams all Tasks into one note (Things to do) makes extra work for me. 

Personally, I use a separate note for each task   
I can add tags to the note and it integrates with the other apps

• Like 1

Hi Tammy,

Got it on the stand-alone task.  Yes it would be great to add Tags. I expect that Tasks has been such a welcome addition that we will see enhancements to their functionality continuing.

Regarding my Task not showing up - in the main Evernote window.  Windows 10 desktop computer.  Still not working.  Scares me when stuff like this happens!

• Level 5

Make sure you run the latest version, currently 10.20.4.

If this does not help, you can try this (PC):

Go to File > Sign Out [name] from the menu bar.

Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click Sign out.

Restart your computer.

Sign back in to Evernote

Thanks for your answer. However, creating notes with single tasks is still rather awkward. For one, in the overview of tasks, only the notes in which these tasks live are shown as metadata, and not the metadata for the notes. So I can add tags for projects, context, etc to the notes, but I can't easily manage tasks using these tags. Also, having to manually create a task in every note is rather annoying if task management is your main usage of Evernote.

In Joplin, one can easily convert a note into a task and vice versa. Something like that would be ideal, I think.

• Level 5

EN still is a note taking app with a tasking feature. You see it when thinking about the fact that tasks can only exist when embedded in notes.

Using tasks to control notes is a better description of the use case.

For plain task management you are better off using a task manager app.

• Level 5*
46 minutes ago, Rense said:

Well, but Evernote has introduced reminders for notes years ago, clearly trying to cater to people who want to use it for managing tasks as well as for note taking. The beauty of that, in my opinion, was that it allowed me to task as well as all kinds of other information related ...

Agreed, adding features at the note level was the better design   
Due date should have been added at the note level   
The current implementation of tasks seems to be a hack job; there is no task entity 

>>However, creating notes with single tasks is still rather awkward.

I'm still using the Evernote Legacy product, and the note per task methodology   
It works well for "plain task management"   
To produce task lists, I use filtered note lists; supplemented with scripting (Mac Applescript)

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Due date should have been added at the note level   

But that was already there in the form of reminders, wasn't it? It seems that the reminder functionality is being downgraded (e.g, the checkbox in the reminder list view is now gone) in favor of the much less usable task functionality. I don't get it.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Rense said:

But that was already there in the form of reminders, wasn't it?

Confirmed, I make use of the reminder feature to identify active tasks, and store an optional due date   
It also stores completion status/date

On 9/8/2021 at 9:53 AM, DTLow said:

Confirmed, I make use of the reminder feature to identify active tasks, and store an optional due date   
It also stores completion status/date

Hey DTLow,

Joined the forum to ask, is there a description of how you do the note per task methodology?

I'm pretty attached to tagging and it seems that this would be cumbersome, but I'm willing to give it a try.

Thanks!

• Level 5*
On 9/16/2021 at 2:20 PM, McBry said:

is there a description of how you do the note per task methodology?

No definitive description   
I started with a process called The Secret Weapon, but it never updated for due date  
Also, I preferred a tag based system without notebooks

With a separate note per task, I can assign tags    
and generate filtered task lists

Evernote's new task feature is still a work-in-progress, so I'm waiting for the work to be completed 

• Level 5

A task in EN is always located in a note.

If it is created free, and no note is assigned, it goes to the default task note that was created when tasks were introduced.

You can always assign a task to a note. You can see the note as a container for the task. If you want to add information the task can't hold, it can be added to the note.

This is not 1:1 as if the task itself could do it, but probably currently the best workaround.

I would walk away from using my current Task Manager if Evernote offerted tags for tasks. I am running a company and all of my tasks have tags representing employees who I need to talk to. Then I look at one tag (=employee) and see all the issues I need to talk to that person. Extremely convenient!

It would be a fantastic feature if Evernote could offer tags for tasks! 

This is literally the only important feature for me.  I just want to have a list of tasks that I can flexibly search and filter.  That the best filtering for tasks is limited to "located in" is pretty much a deal breaker.

It's too bad because the integration with my new RocketBook is great; way nicer than OneNote.

I would also like to be able to tag individual tasks rather than simply tagging each note.

I  use a system whereby I have tags assigned to Today, This Week, Next Week et cetera. Having the facility to attach a tag to each individual task would allow me to simply search for the tasks I have this week or next week making life a lot simpler. It would also offer an alternative to my current task manager.

I am really looking forward to the development of new features for tasks so that, like many other Evernote users, I can dispense with a separate Task Manager. What do other people think?

On 9/30/2021 at 3:52 PM, Ruppi said:

I would walk away from using my current Task Manager if Evernote offerted tags for tasks. I am running a company and all of my tasks have tags representing employees who I need to talk to. Then I look at one tag (=employee) and see all the issues I need to talk to that person. Extremely convenient!

It would be a fantastic feature if Evernote could offer tags for tasks! 

With the new "assign a task" feature does that help you with your problem and reduce the need for tags?

• Level 5

Assigning tasks works for those on Professional and Teams subscriptions - these levels are designed for collaborative use cases.

Professional is more for a freelancer or Project Manager, setting up ad-hoc groups of people working temporarily together.

Teams is made to set up permanent work and information flows  in an organization.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Marilyn123 said:

Assigning tasks doesn't help me as I don't use Evernote collaboratively. Assignment is a completely different issue from tagging.

Understood. We'll just have to wait for the Evernote software engineers to hear our pleas and sort out tags in tasks.

• Like 1
On 11/25/2021 at 9:29 AM, PinkElephant said:

Then use the 1 note per task / per project approach, and tag the note.

I sure wish this approach was described in the Task Overview before I spent hours organizing and setting up multiple tasks per note.  Without being able to link a note to a task or flag a task  I'm going to have to pretty much start over.  There doesn't seem to be any other way to link support material for a task unless it has it's own separate note.  Now I wish there was a "create note from task" command.  I had assumed we could use "internal links" to link a task to a note but alas.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Well, EN does describe it technically - not really the use cases. It is similar with for example GTD: The method can be applied with EN very well, but the descriptions to it are 3rd party, not from EN itself. They have some more detailed advise in the EN blog - but even there, it falls short of other sources.

In general EN treats the note as the key entity, and tasks are all contained in notes. As long as only notes can be tagged, it works better to have only one task per note. To bind all notes / tasks together, you can create a Table of Content TOC note with links to all notes / tasks needed for a certain project.

I would give all votes I possible could to a request to have tags for tasks. 

I'm on the fence between Notion, Evernote, Coda and Nimbus (after being an Evernote customer for 10 years) and recently AnyType (in alpha and looking very promising)

Evernote adding Tasks was, in my opinion, by far the most meaningful addition since Evernote was created.  However, without tags or some way to assign metadata it provides limited value.  In a GTD workflow I end up with hundreds of tasks in a small pane within evernote that I cannot meaningful sort or action at all.  Having tags, or even better, the ability to have relational tables like Notion... AnyType... Coda... Nibmus... etc... and be able to have all tasks in there but to be able to assign metadata to columns in the table, would make Evernote a no-brainer.

I would say though, that the ability to create tasks within a note... and have those tasks show up in the Tasks Window... is a very big step in the right direction.  But it is a partial implementation - and desperately needs to be though out better in the context of a GTD or task management process.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

Currently the only workaround is to put the task into a note, and tag the note.

If you have GTD categories „Phone“, „Computer“, „Office“ and so on, create a note for each category, and move the tasks between them.

Not a real solution, but maybe helpful as a workaround.

On 3/25/2022 at 9:37 PM, PinkElephant said:

Currently the only workaround is to put the task into a note, and tag the note.

If you have GTD categories „Phone“, „Computer“, „Office“ and so on, create a note for each category, and move the tasks between them.

Not a real solution, but maybe helpful as a workaround.

But if you tag the note it does not show up in the tasks view.

• Level 5

A workaround is a workaround, not a solution.

Tags for tasks have been requested multiple times here in the forum. To make your voice heard, send a feedback notice at EN PM, using the feedback function build into the clients.

This is essential to implement GTD project management. I would like to use Evernote tasks but using another app until this is available.

I would add that having a tasks widget that is filterable is also a must as a widget with a dump of thousands of tasks is essentially useless.

• Level 5

Since there are a lot of GTD implementations for EN dating before tasks were even available, I think it is not necessary to have a tagging for tasks to apply the GTD logic. However I agree it would make the use of the tasks feature better under GTD conditions.

Currently the only way to tag tasks 1:1 is to have 1 task per note, and tag the note.

20 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Since there are a lot of GTD implementations for EN dating before tasks were even available, I think it is not necessary to have a tagging for tasks to apply the GTD logic. However I agree it would make the use of the tasks feature better under GTD conditions.

Currently the only way to tag tasks 1:1 is to have 1 task per note, and tag the note.

I disagree here because the implementation using notes tend to be hard work, requiring a lot of manual steps that slow down the process. Also, it's not just about GTD, which is why most stand alone task apps include tagging. An example of another use scenario is something I'm doing right now; I am wondering whether it's worthwhile employing an additional staff member and so I'm tagging all of the tasks that could realistically be delegated to them. There are multiple situations where tagging helps to automate project management and it is a pretty standard feature.

• Level 5

Currently tasks are a container embedded into a note, just like other such containers (pictures, sketches, files, audio grabbings, etc.). 

Tags are a property of notes, and of nothing else.

This may explain why it is technically not easy at all to allow tags be added to tasks, instead of be added to notes.

I don't expect a direct tagging of tasks to become available any time soon. Sure, I could be wrong ...

It's really hard to see how to use the new Tasks tool to support GTD without tagging or some other way to group tasks at least into Next Actions, Waiting Fors, and Agendas (and ideally into the more specific contexts many of us use).  If I pull each task out into a single note so I can add tags, I've basically just switched over to old Evernote, and am no longer using the cool Tasks tool, with its ability to capture tasks on the fly in meetings and planning sessions.  I'd love any input on whether I'm missing something here.  

• Level 5

Basically GTD with EN worked for years without tasks, and it still does.

If you set up GTD properly, you do not need tasks, and there is no urgency to employ the feature for GTD use.

What makes EN tasks different from other task managers is that it makes notes actionable. This is fine for many users, independently from using GTD.

This said, I of course support to get tags applied to individual tasks instead of just to the containing note. Would be really nice if the devs worked out a way to do it.

This could be partially solved by allowing the task view to include an option to group by the tasks identified in the note that includes the task.  It would also be helped if the flag wasn't binary (on or off). If you could set multiple flag colors and name them, you could then also group by flag (call, meet, go, read, etc.)

• Like 1
On 6/7/2022 at 7:10 PM, PinkElephant said:

Currently tasks are a container embedded into a note, just like other such containers (pictures, sketches, files, audio grabbings, etc.). 

Tags are a property of notes, and of nothing else.

This may explain why it is technically not easy at all to allow tags be added to tasks, instead of be added to notes.

I don't expect a direct tagging of tasks to become available any time soon. Sure, I could be wrong ...

I'm new to using Tasks on EN.  I too like the idea of being able to add tags to tasks but understand it may be difficult given the note architecture.  My workaround is to create a note for tasks within each project (=notebook) I'm working on.  That way I can group by project in the task view.  Not perfect, because if I add tags to other notes within the project they tasks won't group together neatly, but it provides one more level of organization. 

38 minutes ago, mendeje said:

I'm new to using Tasks on EN.  I too like the idea of being able to add tags to tasks but understand it may be difficult given the note architecture.  My workaround is to create a note for tasks within each project (=notebook) I'm working on.  That way I can group by project in the task view.  Not perfect, because if I add tags to other notes within the project they tasks won't group together neatly, but it provides one more level of organization. 

Good idea. Perhaps another route is to have a notebook called Tasks. You then create a tasks page for each of your projects and place them in the Tasks notebook with backlinks to your other project notes?

This should be easily solved: : to have the widgets with option to filter key words in the task description. This
way, every tag could be started with the key word like " Follow up , and easy to display.

Tags would be great, but this easy filter trick could help

.'

• Like 1

The categories of  task can be  :  to prepare / to review /  follow up /  delegated or waiting  ( for tasks delegated andhave  a reminder)   and the particulary difficult to follow at Evernote ,  task without a hard date 

if we could ,  manually  define a task ( like  FOLLOW UP :  project A task #1 )  using these key words ,   filter the tasks as per this prefix /key word ( FOLLOW UP : ) ,  the widget on EN's home will allow to have at hand ( or at eye ) the filtered task .We could create  a widget for review tasks ,  a widget for follow up tasks  , a widget for to do tasks withou hard dates ,  etc .  

I've addedd a couple of screenshots  ( my computer setup in French but you may see how to create the widget ,with a filter) 

Today we can create a filtered widget with task and contain elements  ,  but the key word will return results from all notes and botes bodies,  not only from the task text .

image.png.f45296b3f28f564a427e933884c9999d.png

image.png.778f4927b26f4e29667b2cbf698801f5.png

Tags would be wonderful.

The workaround I'm currently using is to create Contacts (I'm on a Mac, but I assume there is an equivalent on Windows) for what would otherwise be tags (usually names of Projects that I'm working on), and then assigning tasks (I always create tasks inside Notes) to those Contacts. In this way, I can then see Tasks by Assignee/Tag in the 'Assigned' tab of the Tasks list, as well as sort and search by the Assignee/Tag that the task is assigned to. There is no way to apply a Filter-proper by Assignee, but typing the Contact name or email into the search box when on the 'Assigned' tab filters the list in place.  I give the Contact/Tag a meaningful name for the Contact First Name (again, in the Mac Contacts app), and then a shortcut name for the email. An email must be set for the Contact, in order to be able to assign it in Evernote. All of these are fake Contacts and emails, and I've got them in the general form 'My Flowery Project Name' for the Contact first name, and 'myprojname@evernote.com' for the email.

Anyway, it's not real sophisticated, but it's been working well enough for me thus far. It's no substitute for a real tagging capability, though. (And if you regularly have tasks that you assign to other actual people in Evernote, this approach could become a mess...)

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, Reinier van der Hoek said:

Interesting idea.

Question: What happens with mails that will be send from your evernote-account (invitation, updates,...) to these 'myprojname@evernote.com" e-mailadresses?

With regards,

Reinier van der Hoek

Well, unless someone at evernote has an email that happens to correspond to my project name, I'm assuming that they go undelivered. It's a valid question, however. I suppose a better approach would be to use fake emails going to @example.com, since that domain has been setup specifically for use in examples, documentation, etc, so it's a sure thing those will not ever be delivered to anyone. I just have been using @evernote.com as sort of a memory jog, in case I one day wonder, "Why the heck do I have this email in my contacts??" :-)

23 minutes ago, Gabriel de Oliveira said:

Almost 2 years discussing about tasks tags, and notihng happend 😪

I tried to use EN like task management using task but without tags on it or Flasg like P1, P2...P4 it is very dificult to adapt a good system.

Agree. We live in the hope that Evernote will add tags to tasks opening up new ways of managing projects and other things.

I haven't read through the 70+ responses to the request for tags, but I wanted to share that until they add that functionality, I decided to start going "old school. 

I simply do tags with hashtags like... #call   ... and then I search for those in my task searches. So far it's worked well. The biggest problem is that there is no standardized list. So if I use #call but search for #calls I may not find it. But it's working for me now so thought I'd share.

• Like 1
On 3/18/2023 at 11:11 PM, lkodman said:

I haven't read through the 70+ responses to the request for tags, but I wanted to share that until they add that functionality, I decided to start going "old school. 

I simply do tags with hashtags like... #call   ... and then I search for those in my task searches. So far it's worked well. The biggest problem is that there is no standardized list. So if I use #call but search for #calls I may not find it. But it's working for me now so thought I'd share.

It’s interesting ; how do you deal with searching for the #( action verb) , like #call , when the word  “call “ is also in the note body and not  only in the task name ? If there would be a task search specific to be added to the widgets for example , it would start the solution ? 
is there any way around ? 
Claudio

• Level 5

From a short test I doubt that adding a „#“ symbol does anything different than just typing any word as keyword into a note title.

The symbol is disregarded in the search field (tried on the mobile client on iPhone), giving the same result no matter if searched with or without it, and in both cases highlighting the key word only:

9561D0F5-C161-4330-B10A-F1BDA67EC4D6.thumb.jpeg.378ea8b0f416aee88484bdc674f56e7e.jpeg

• Level 5

Just to repeat this information: The data model of EN relates tags to notes. Tasks are objects, that are nested into notes. This is another relation in the database. It is not possible - based on  the current data model - to add the object "Tag" to the object "Task". Both are brought together by the note, with tagging only possible on the note level.

Creating an ability to add tags directly to tasks would mean a deep redesign of both data model, back end and clients.

Not impossible, but hard to imagine on a short or even medium term.

Thanks for this info very useful.

I'm trying to figure out a way of grouping tasks so I can sort them differently from the available  "Due, Assigned, Notes and my Tasks"  for example group as "Today, This Week, Next Week,  This Month, Next Month, Someday". Giving all tasks a due date get's close but is laborious and can be overwhelming. 

Tags might not be the answer for the reasons you've explained. Some way of customising or adding user-defined groups in addition to the currently available "Due Dates Assigned, My Tasks etc. might be a way forward.

I've just upgraded my Evernote to handle tasks and am really disappointed I can't tag tasks - its the missing piece of the puzzle.

I often have meetings in which many projects are discussed and many action items taken away. I love that in Evernote, I can include the task amongst the meeting notes for perfect context.

But afterwards, there is no way to see these tasks by project, as they were all discussed in the same meeting. Tags would solve this.

I imagine I'm far from the only one who would use tasks in this way. I've signed up to the forum just to ask for this

• Like 1

Since adding the calendar connection that gives you a pre formatted note associated with an event the next logical step is to make tasks that are inevitably generated by a meeting tagged to people, projects etc..

• Like 1

I find it really frustrating that Evernote doesn't provide an option to group tasks or add labels to them. This limitation makes it difficult to organize and prioritize my tasks effectively.

This issue has made me contemplate unsubscribing from the Evernote as it doesn't meet my expectations for task organization and management

• Like 1
  • Level 5

It is a misunderstanding Tasks were created as a stand alone entity in EN, like in task managers.

Tasks were primarily added to make notes actionable. If this is the guideline, it is no problem that tags are added to notes, and the notes hold the tasks to control which actions are needed to proceed them.

Only if you treat tasks as stand alone objects, you need to apply tags directly. Given the underlying data structure, I see it as very unlikely we will see tasks that can hold tags directly any time soon, if ever.

7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

It is a misunderstanding Tasks were created as a stand alone entity in EN, like in task managers.

Tasks were primarily added to make notes actionable. If this is the guideline, it is no problem that tags are added to notes, and the notes hold the tasks to control which actions are needed to proceed them.

Only if you treat tasks as stand alone objects, you need to apply tags directly. Given the underlying data structure, I see it as very unlikely we will see tasks that can hold tags directly any time soon, if ever.

If that is the case, lets make it possible the tasks be filtered on stacks, notebook and tags of the note where the task belong. 
At this moment only filter on notebook on the desktop is working, not on iphone and iPad. Stacks and tags is also neccesary. 
with regards.

reiniier

• Level 5

You can filter for notes based on tags, notebooks or stacks that contain tasks. That’s as far at the moment as it goes, and it works on all clients.

The best place for requests is support. Describe what you want to achieve, your use case - not only a general request. This makes it easier for the devs to understand what the challenge is.

Please note that currently they are probably mostly occupied with sorting out syncing issues.

Adding a tag to a task is such an obvious need.  How did Evernote developers miss this?   It's mind boggling.  Of course a user needs to be able to add multiple tags to a single task, in order to keep all your tasks organized across many different dimensions.  My goodness.  What a miss.  I was going to buy Evernote, but this is a deal breaker for me.  

+1 for the ability to tag tasks !

Using the note tags is not ok to me.
This approach works against the evernote's task feature philosophy, which is "make your notes actionnable" by inserting tasks in it. If I have to move each task to its own container Note, then it becomes isolated, I loose the context of the original note.
Off course I can reference the original note from the task-containing notes, but it is cumbersome to navigate across notes.

FYI: My current work-around is to include "tags" in the task title using this syntax: "#priority <task description> #tagA #tagB"
  • Then I can filter tasks by tags just using the search field in the tasks panel (typing for ex "#tagA")
  • And ordering the tasks by title allows to sort them by priority (#0 is the higher priority)
1 hour ago, Brinkburn1 said:

I'm asking for a simple way of tagging tasks rather than inventing clever workarounds, though there is fun in doing that!

It would be great if EN introduced a tagging system, but even if they thought it was a good idea, I have no idea when it would be introduced. So I have some (for me) easy workarounds that give me 95% of the functionaility I need. That way I can use EN for tasks now and stop using Todoist (and save some money to offset the increase in EN price!).

Here's a screen shot of part of todays task list with just the task details blanked out which might be clearer than my (lazy) attempt above. Todoist users will understand my choice of colours for the emojis. Ordering of task is by "Task title". Because this is my default view and EN have not (yet?) introduced saved searches/views for tasks I have an AutoHotKey script that opens tasks, filters by due date for the last 14 days and clicks on the My tasks tab.

image.thumb.png.c147f1236f082ae52df661c55b8b9381.png

I deally I would like the tasks in a different order (red, orange, blue, white - as in Todoist) but I decided to stick with the colour scheme I'm familiar with although at some stage I will probably experiment with different colour schemes to get the order I want.

Thanks for the update. A very neat solution. I use Todoist, so I see your logic. It would be great to be able to just switch to Evernote for all tasks like you but I need more options like "context" and "tags".  Thanks for sharing your idea.

• Like 1

For the moment I use a coding system within the task:

1= Now

2= Next

3=Agenda (to discuss with other people of meeting)

6=Waiting for

I use V for the context of work . Then some letters for big blocks or projects for selection purpose (first letter of the project)

@Name for discuss with someone of meeting @Peter @PTO (PTO stands for projectteam meeting)

This way I can filter my tasks of more then 100 tasks and make it a bit manageble. It looks like this: 

() 1VG Do this and that

() 3VP Discuss this item with @Marc 

() 3VK Agenda item ..... for @PTO

Now I can filter on what to do not: fill in search field tasks  1V

Filter on a project i.e. VG

Sorting on title gives a overview of projects running actions.

It takes discipline to put the 1-nummer and two letters with every tasks, but that very fast.
In note or date you can see the task and the notetitle and go instantly to the content to do the task. No switching with other app's.

I hope I give you some inspiratie to work with tasks now , until Evernote will fix the ability to filter tasks on stack and labels.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1