[Premium user]

I'm not sure if these are all real issues, or I just haven't found where the functionality is now hidden, but I have been havig real problems with my workflow since "upgrading" to v10.

1. ENScript.exe has vanished, so I can no longer run my various scripts -- DISASTER!!
  2. I have a template folder, and frequentl want to copy multiple notes to another directory -- I can't see how to do this any more -- I can copy single notes, but not multiple ones.  "duplicating" in the same directoy and moving is no good, as "duplicate" DOES NOT DUPLICATE (it never has!) because it changes the note title
  3. I can't export multiple notebooks in one go (for backup purposes)
  4. Sort order appears to be global, rather than per notebook
  5. It's much harder to change the created date on a note
  6. The note title scrolls out of sight when scrolling down a long note
  7. thumbnail images not appearing properly in all cases (reported elsewhere)
  8. everything is HUGE and takes up acres of screen real estate -- I need to be able to see more snippets etc in one go
  9. no manual sync -- and it takes too long to sync -- I used to "webclip, sync, edit...", now I "webclip, pause until the note deigns to appear, edit...", much degraded workflow
  10. it's slooooooooow
  11. ... and I'm sure there is a lot more...

I'm seriously thinking of "downgrading" back to v6 -- it worked -- this "upgrade" has removed so much functionality that is important for serious user workflow, and replaced it with useless (and slow) "gloss".

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Some feedback, strictly my personal view & experience:

1. No scripting for v10 (yet ?)
  2. Duplication is AFAIK a per note action
  3. No, one by one. Have you ever tried an import ? If not, you would have had a nasty surprise: The information in which notebook a note was is lost - it is everything on a heap.
  4. No per notebook settings 
  5. Changing the date can be done, in note information  - personally I am not a friend of messing with fields created by the system, so for me it’s hard to compare.
  6. Yes it does
  7. Thumbnails appear in most cases. If not, ask support
  8. The user interface is as it is. You could press more information on the screen with the old client
  9. Clipping is pretty fast on my Mac, no problem. A sync button is much requested …
  10. Normal actions are fast (enough), where the new client is slower is when updating several notes at once

At the moment you can arrange yourself, contact support where you have issues and maybe install the legacy client. This can be done side by side with v10:

Some of the issues may depend on your computers resources and on your internet connection. V10 makes use of both (a lot of use …).
  • Like 1

I share many of these woes, and your list has alerted me to other problems I hadn't even realized yet.

3. I can select up to 50 notes, whereas before I could select them all. So yeah, can no longer export them all for backup purposes.

6. Note title scrolls out of sight. Major flaw!

8. The one time out of perhaps seven or eight that I have been able to open a note in a new window (to, you know, have more than one note open at a time), it blew up also, with just a little part of the note taking up both of my screens. And the note was blank for a while, then sort of worked, then froze, then I closed it and the main app froze.

9. Oh wow, I hadn't noticed that the sync button was gone. This

10. Yes, it's all much slower.

11. Surely more problems. There are now only six fonts. The Tools tab is a joke and no longer includes Options. The formatting of notebooks on the left-hand side menu is gone (I had them color-coded).

All of this is both frustrating and scary. I'm in the middle of a dissertation writing crunch with large chunks of the material and text in Evernote. So many poor changes and outright mistakes makes me uneasy about relying on EN for anything important. I'm using Legacy version now just to finish, then will look at alternatives.

• Level 5

You like it, or you don’t like it. If you don’t like it, you only notice what you don’t like, to confirm your gut decision to yourself (hope your diss is not in psychology). Else the list would be balanced by a list of positive aspects.

You don’t like it …

The upgrade from v6.25 to v10.18.3 has been really painful !!

Firstly, I work mainly in the Windows desktop version. The update menu there was saying that I was on the most recent version every time I checked. I hadn't realised until I did a manual download of v10 that my v6.25 was old. All I knew was that the mobile app no longer worked because it wanted to split my account and I couldn't work out how to do that in the Windows version.

The upgrade took a long time and I was very disappointed to see so many changes in the UI. The main thing I don't like is the loss of font customisation in the sidebar. I had a colour-coded system for tags and notebooks that has now been destroyed without warning. Also the view layouts are not as simple as in the old version. There is too much screen clutter.

The main issue I had after upgrading was that in the iOS app the personal account had stale notebook references to every one of the business notebooks (not showing in the Windows app). I had to click on each one-by-one and wait for it to timeout before it was deleted. This took a couple of hours yesterday.

Then after that, I still had notebook stacks from the old business account. When I removed the stacks, the contained business notebook stale references all came back again. So I had to go all through the same procedure again removing one-by-one.

At last I have got rid of these phantoms but now I am still having trouble with deleting a notebook in the iOS app I just created as a test. I get the message that it has been deleted but when the app is re-started it comes back and the notebook name now has "(970981)" appended to it. It never syncs to the Windows or Web apps.

The iOS app is really dragging and is hard to navigate. Sometime when it opens it get stuck on "Just a few moments.. we're setting up your new app." and does not open. I have to kill it and try again.

Lastly, it seems that I can only create a support ticket when logged into the Business account. If I go to the tickets page while logged in as the associated Premium Personal account, there is no option to create a new ticket, only list previous ones.

I am really disappointed with what Evernote has done. This "upgrade" seems like a great pile of elephant dung !

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

The server side data hasn't changed between versions.  You can run whichever version of Evernote that you are most comfortable with.  Indeed, you have v10 AND the so-called Legacy version running together on the same computer - just be careful how you work since sync is more or less immediate with v10 and on the regular schedule with Legacy so it is possible to create multiple copies of a note if switching back and forth.

I'm not sure what you mean by the upgrade wanting to 'split my account' but there is no reason to have multiple accounts.  the v10 applications support the new features and are constantly evolving whereas Legacy is sitting at the last version with no plans to update or add features and fix bugs.  But you can still use them quite successfully as you have always done.

So if all you want is what you have always had then revert to Legacy ad that will keep you going for the foreseaable future.