(Archived) Help required: Can't sync from phone to database

brip

Hi all. Firstly I'm really impressed with v2 of Evernote for Android, it's come a long way in the last six months. Well done to the Evernote team.

Now my problem - Yesterday I created 10 notes on my phone, some just text, some with photos.

I was not in a wifi area and only had 2G network connectivity, so I wasn't expecting them to upload until I got back home today and access my home wifi.

However when I hit sync (to try to force manual sync), a notification pops up saying 'Syncing data in the background', but nothing seems to actually upload.

I can created a note on my Windows client (just tested it now), and that will sync to my phone. It's as though the sync is only working one way.

I'm using Evernote build: 110327 Ver: 2.0.1

Phone is HTC Desire

I am a Premium user (although I did have to reactive this today, don't know if that's caused an issue?)

I've tried 'clear history' and 'Clear cache'. I haven't tried uninstalling yet because I'm not sure if that will lose the notes I created that are currently only local on my phone (would this be the case?)

Any advice or something else I can try?

Both the Android client and the Windows application synchronize to our web service. If you log on to your account via a desktop web browser, you can see what data is there to determine which client is not synchronizing correctly.

Ok, results from trying that:

• Adding note from web browser: Syncs with both Android and Desktop client
    Adding note from Desktop client: Syncs with both Android and web browser
    Adding note from Android client: Does not appear on either web browser or desktop client

Also editing the note just downloaded to the Android client on the phone does not update on the web browser.

When trying to sync on the phone (after editing or creating a note), I hit save a message pops up saying 'Uploading note...', but then nothing. I'm sure last time it did work, a notification would appear saying upload complete?

Thanks again for help trying to resolve.

Our Engineer's comment: "It doesn't get past establishing a wifi connection. I suspect they've chosen only to connect over wifi, and it's not available. GMail fails to sync a few times, and we are unable to retrieve thumbnails when requested, presumably because the metadata has synced prior to this but the thumbs have not. "

Can you go to setting to make sure sync with Wi-Fi only is unchecked? Confirm that you have a stable Wi-Fi signal and try to sync again.

Hope this help.

Hi,

I'm getting the same problem as the OP.

I'm on build 110327 and the syncing appears to be one-way. My notes won't sync from my phone to the cloud.

Phone is Samsung Galaxy S running Froyo.

I don't have the wifi only sync option turned on, so I'm just using my normal phone network to try to sync.

Oh, I'm also a premium user but that hasn't changed for a while.

I'll send the error logs (just edited this, I just saw where to email them).

-EDIT: Ok I can't reproduce it now - today it seems to be working. I signed out then back in yesterday, maybe that fixed it.

Cheers,

Ben

okay, I did not see this thread before I added my problems to the thread with my zoom-out problems so I will add this now:

latest public beta on an x10 mini pro, "Wi-Fi only" is NOT checked and while I am not a premium user yet, my quota is nowhere near a limit for the notes I am trying to sync from the phone. Something is definitely broken about syncing in the android client.

@mkayi, from your log, you seem to have a conflicted note from the phone compared to the server. Check the note count between the phone and from the web server. Delete that conflicted note (or logout from the phone which will delete it). Then, try to re-create the note, and it should be back to normal.

Well, I know the note count is different, because I can not sync the notes i created on the android client!

That means I have to delete snapshots I took which I would really like to save before I dump the notes - is that possible?

Also, for all of my notes, the android client told me the upload was complete or successful. I don't like to feel that the notes I take do not upload or have to be deleted eventually. Again, this looks like something that needs to get debugged a.s.a.p.

Count me in for having the same problem. Can't see notes I've created on my Droid X in my web or desktop accounts. I've tried in Wi-Fi areas with no luck. I'm afraid to try anything else because I don't want to lose those notes. They are from a conference and hard to recreate. Maybe I'll try typing them in the desktop client manually. Anyway, does seem to me to be a bug that needs fixing.

We are working on the problem. Can someone give me an exact steps on how it happens? like making a new note (text/audio/snapshot, etc) from android client. Do you edit (copy or append) the note?

On the other hand, if you decide to logout, you can copy out the attachments from \evernote\temp directory. At least, you can save your snapshots, audio recordings, but the note content would not be saved.

I am currently working with our engineers to reviewing the logs.

Sure. For me, it's been every note made on the phone since at least Nov. 13th. That is the first note I notice that I have on my phone that I don't have on the web or desktop version. They have been mostly text notes, although the first one with the descrepancy is a photo note. Some have tags and some do not. Some I have opened up and edited, while some I just created, added text, then closed it without editing it again. I will try e-mailing the notes to myself and then e-mailing them to my evernote account so hopefully I can save those. Thanks for your quick response.

Thanks for your help Ah_Fan.

for me, the notes I lost were all created as snapshots from the widget. Strangely, though, another note I created the same way yesterday synced alright. Haven't really grasped how to reliably reproduce it yet.

• 3 weeks later...
We are working on the problem. Can someone give me an exact steps on how it happens? like making a new note (text/audio/snapshot, etc) from android client. Do you edit (copy or append) the note?

On the other hand, if you decide to logout, you can copy out the attachments from \evernote\temp directory. At least, you can save your snapshots, audio recordings, but the note content would not be saved.

I am currently working with our engineers to reviewing the logs.

Hello. Has any progress been made regarding the syncing from the Droid X to the online DB? NONE of the changes, adds, or deletes I make on my Droid X are applied to the online DB, but he Droid can view every add, delete or change made by the computer.

Thank you,

Steve

Archived