Tag shortcut removed from shortcuts when the last note with that tag is untagged

A tag can be placed under shortcuts (eg by dragging it there) - whether there are notes with the tag or not. (Good!)

However, if I remove that tag from all notes, then the tag is automatically removed from the shortcuts. (Bad!)

The tag shortcut should remain whether there are notes with the tag or not.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5

The idea has its ups and downs:

Good if you use a tag repetitively for a certain job, like housekeeping your database.

Not so good if you use it for a onetimer, because it leaves you with the shortcut(s) even after they are not used any longer. Here deleting the shortcut with the last use of a tag is good, it avoids additional steps.

You could create a single dummy note to which you add all tags that you want to reuse in shortcuts. As long as you keep this note, the shortcuts will stay.

• 7 months later...
On 8/17/2021 at 5:42 AM, PinkElephant said:

The idea has its ups and downs:

Good if you use a tag repetitively for a certain job, like housekeeping your database.

Not so good if you use it for a onetimer, because it leaves you with the shortcut(s) even after they are not used any longer. Here deleting the shortcut with the last use of a tag is good, it avoids additional steps.

You could create a single dummy note to which you add all tags that you want to reuse in shortcuts. As long as you keep this note, the shortcuts will stay.

This is a bad solution. The app should allow the user to decide when and if the tag should be removed from shortcuts. If the tag if for a onetimer, it only makes sense that once the one time is over the user would choose to remove it. Giving the app the authority to decide whether to keep a note in shortcuts makes less sense. A user can choose to remove tags from shortcuts once they are no longer needed. But I cannot prevent Evernote from removing the tag WHILE IT IS STILL NEEDED. So I can make a good decision, but I can't prevent the app from making a bad decision. 

7 minutes ago, harperjdav said:

This is a bad solution. The app should allow the user to decide when and if the tag should be removed from shortcuts. If the tag if for a onetimer, it only makes sense that once the one time is over the user would choose to remove it. Giving the app the authority to decide whether to keep a note in shortcuts makes less sense. A user can choose to remove tags from shortcuts once they are no longer needed. But I cannot prevent Evernote from removing the tag WHILE IT IS STILL NEEDED. So I can make a good decision, but I can't prevent the app from making a bad decision. 

I agree. Just to add one other point - It doesn't delete the tag if it is not assigned to any notes so it shouldn't delete the shortcut either.

The workaround is to make it a saved search. Search for your tag (while it has some notes assigned), click Save search, give it a name and click the "add this saved search to shortcuts". You can even give it the same name as the tag. If at some point the tag is not assigned to any notes the saved search and shortcut are not deleted. The only disadvantage, other than it takes longer to set up, is that you don't get the number of notes attached to the tag in the shortcuts area.

• Level 5

You can simply setup a note called „Essential Tags“ and add any tag to it you want to have permanently on your account. There is a limit of 100 tags for a note, so you may have to setup another when you exceed this limit.

And as already stated: EN will keep Tags even if currently not in use.

• Like 1
On 3/25/2022 at 4:48 PM, PinkElephant said:

You can simply setup a note called „Essential Tags“ and add any tag to it you want to have permanently on your account. There is a limit of 100 tags for a note, so you may have to setup another when you exceed this limit.

*Sigh* ok. I just have two tags I like to clear out once a week. It's nice to see a blank screen when I do. I guess looking at one last note called "Essential Tags" won't kill me. I still wish it wasn't necessary. I mean, if I put the tag in my shortcuts, that means I want it there. Who is Evernote to argue?

• Level 5

In EN a lot of things are organized around "being in a note" or "being in a notebook". It sort of needs the hook to be activated - maybe the underlying data model requires it.

No further idea for you in this case - you can ask EN whether they want to argue about it by a support ticket. Often they won't argue at all, but you still feel like throwing yourself into a rubber wall: The harder you try, the farther away you find yourself at the end.

23 minutes ago, harperjdav said:

I just have two tags I like to clear out once a week. It's nice to see a blank screen when I do.

So just make them saved searches and add the saved searches to shortcuts as I suggested. If you only have two tags it really is no big deal.

• Like 1
On 3/25/2022 at 11:48 PM, PinkElephant said:

Also worth pointing out that you can filter directly from the tags in your "essential tags" note using the arrow next to the tag in the tag area.

image.png.9f70761820d6d27d6cadba50f0146136.png

I still prefer the saved search option though.

• Like 1
On 3/27/2022 at 9:04 AM, Mike P said:

So just make them saved searches and add the saved searches to shortcuts as I suggested. If you only have two tags it really is no big deal.

So obvious. So simple. Why it didn't occur to me is baffling. But it is an elegant solution. Thank you :)

• Like 1