I upgraded to Professional for 10 mins before switching back: GEO Locate/Geo Search is a joke

I have been a paying subscriber for 10years.   I MISS Atlas.   So I was excited to see Evernote brought back geo location search for notes.  It did require an account upgrade but, heck I like Evernote and if I can get my Atlas back..... where do I sign up.

GEO Locate is a joke.  I can't believe they are advertising this feature (its more of a hack).    It basically doesn't work.    I am expected to leave Evernote, go to google maps, pin my location and copy the lat and log..........   By the way you can copy the two coordinates together ... so I guess you will need us another application (notes) to copy the coordinates; paste each number one at a time.  Put the two together with a comma in between .... then go back to Evernote and in the search bar type  geodistance:[latitude],[longitude],[radius] 

Really Evernote, all these years of waiting, and this is the best you can do?

Geographic search

This feature requires a Professional or Teams subscription.

Find notes based on the location they were created. To do so, you’ll need to know the latitude, longitude, and radius of a place where you’ve created a note.

To conduct a geographic search, follow these steps:

1. Find the latitude and longitude of the location you would like to search. To do this using Google Maps, follow these instructions.
  2. Select a radius you’d like to search within. Miles (mi), kilometers (km), and nautical miles (nm or nmi) are supported.
  3. In the search bar, type in geodistance:[latitude],[longitude],[radius]. For example, typing in geodistance:40.749619,-73.983554,2mi will return notes that were created within 2 miles of the Empire State Building. Make sure that there are no spaces in the entered syntax.

Note: This feature only works for notes that were created on a mobile device where users have granted Evernote location-tracking permission.

• Level 5*

If I'm reading this right,  Evernote have solved some interesting problems...  What they're saying is that if you set the options in your mobile device so that it automatically records where the note was created,  you'll be able to find all the notes that were created at that location.  So.  choose a note,  copy the geo data from that note and do a search, and you'll find all the notes you made at that location.  Better yet,  after you create the first note,  save the location from that note as a search,  and you can find all other notes made there.  Even better yet,  if you were travelling around,  add a 'within x miles' to the search,  and you'll get any pictures you made in that vicinity.

If you can think of a way to tie notes "within a region" together,  other than including a keyword as the title or tag,  I'd be interested to hear it.  

Having said that - I have no interest in this at present,  but one of my hats says "photographer" and I can see this being useful.  A quick note when I take the first landscape shot,  and my whole session notes become easily findable...

• Level 5

Geosearch is not build to find the place where a single note was created.

It was build to find a set of notes created in one place, like „show me all of my notes I made on that Business trip to LA last year“. Find LA, set the radius to 100mi, search, done. It is nowhere described as a visual geographical note locator.

To see on a map where a single note was created, go on a device that supports it (mobile clients do) to Note Information. You see a map with a pin at the notes location. You can even move it around to change the geolocation.

• 1 year later...

I’ll also upgraded my subscription to Professional when I read that feature in the description. After seeing how useless it was, I never bothered to change my subscription back. I definitely feel it’s a very misleading feature description.

Elephant, when you say you can do some kind of Geolocation with the map, what is it you are referring to? I use an iPhone, and an iPad, both of which I have set to allow Evernote to use my precise location. However, when I go into a note and look at the info, all I can do is see a map with the pin on it. I cannot copy the location anywhere that I can figure out and I cannot open the location in any map app. Yes, I can hold the pin and drag it to a different location if I wanted to. I’m not sure what good that is. I have seen quite a number of posts where people have asked about using Geolocation, however, I have never found anything or any way to really be able to use Geolocation with my notes. Offhand, I know of quite a few occupations that could really benefit from the ability to have Geolocation integrated into the notes in a way that would be useful.

• Level 5

Well, being myself on Personal and no intention to switch to Professionals, I can’t really comment on the usefulness of the geo search feature there.

The GPS data must be embedded into the metadata. Using the advanced search syntax a search for locations can be done. But it requires some pretty precise information to set the longitude and latitude correctly.

• Level 5*

Thanks for the question @The Pawnbroker - I went for Professional too but I'd forgotten all about geo searching.  For general information (because it took me a while to work this out...)

1410658817_geographicsearch0.png.aa0e36a92f19fb4361d7bf8834007394.png

• but confusingly "geographic search" is shown as a feature for Professional and Teams

1651328543_geographicsearch.png.019f06c61f3442b463ff597d687d4d5b.png

• and if you check the help files for that specific term...  you get 'advanced search' which includes...

735974114_Screenshot2022-11-18110854.png.853bc5ba4405098f8637b9c314cd61e3.png

Use advanced search syntax – Evernote Help & Learning

I don't know if there's something else more specific in there,  but I assume you either use a Legacy iOS app or Google maps to see your pins.  I dimly remember from looking at this search term a while ago that there are apps that will help with lat/ long details,  but - since I forgot about this - it's not something I expect to use a lot...

I will suggest to the Pachyderm Powers that the help pages could do with some more clarity around this information!

• Level 5

The map view is only available on the mobile clients.

For the geosearch I only found this on the Evernote YT channel. For a better explanation (and yes, it is not only sloppily documented, it seems not to be documented at all !) I would contact support.

Side effect of our little talk: I rechecked my iOS privacy settings and found out I had the "exact position" turned off for the EN mobile app. This means the position data recorded for new notes was only "in the area", not on the spot. Have turned it back on, to record the precise GPS location in the future.

• Like 1