Evernote For Windows v10.18.3 - Tasks Not Working

Go to solution Solved by agsteele,

I've already submitted a Ticket to support, but thought I'd share this upgrade issue with Tasks.....

Evernote upgraded me to v10.18.3 last night, and then Tasks stopped working. All I get is a spinning circle if I click on Tasks in the Sidebar. Or, from Home screen layout, Tasks just 'pulses' blank lines in the upper right corner.

I've rebooted, logged out and back in, but still get the same problem.

I can still access Tasks successfully from my iPhone IOS app, and the web version on evernote.com works just fine too.

Tasks worked fine with my prior Windows v10.17.8 version.

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert
  • Solution

Sounds like a support ticket is the way to go. Many others are successfully accessing task in v10.18.3 - works here just fine.

I don't wish to suggest you haven't thought this through but the good old fashioned re-boot the PC could be a solution and if not, then uninstall and completely remove all data directories then reinstall and allow EN to rebuild your data is likely to be successful. (To ensure you clean out the old installation use a program like REVO Uninstaller or just be sure that the %AppData%\Evernote and %LocalAppData%\Programs\Evernote directories are deleted after the uninstall process is complete).

• Like 4

Agsteele, great advice as usual!!

Uninstalling - Rebooting - Reinstalling solved my problem! Tasks work as they should with v10.18.3.

On my other desktop with the older version Evernote v10.17.8, I did a reboot and saw the same 'Tasks' problem. Obviously, it was something I did and not related to Evernote.

• Like 1

I am have the same problem starting Thursday, I already updated to 10.18.3 but still the same circles.
New Installation was not succesfull.
I will do it now again, it is very strange on all other plattform it working (more or less)
also other Windows Clients have to problems. 

28 minutes ago, Norbert Grohnmeier said:

I am have the same problem starting Thursday, I already updated to 10.18.3 but still the same circles.
New Installation was not succesfull.
I will do it now again, it is very strange on all other plattform it working (more or less)
also other Windows Clients have to problems. 

Uninstalling - Rebooting - Reinstalling no changes ... no ideas .... 

• Evernote Expert
3 hours ago, Norbert Grohnmeier said:

Uninstalling - Rebooting - Reinstalling no changes ... no ideas .... 

Did you ensure that you removed the old data directory and program files? This is essential to this fix. You can do this by using Revo Uninstaller or having uninstalled delete %AppData%\Evernote and %LocalAppData%\Programs\Evernote directories. Then reinstall. If that doesn't work then a support ticket is the way to go.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
On 7/31/2021 at 12:33 PM, agsteele said:

Did you ensure that you removed the old data directory and program files? This is essential to this fix. You can do this by using Revo Uninstaller or having uninstalled delete %AppData%\Evernote and %LocalAppData%\Programs\Evernote directories. Then reinstall. If that doesn't work then a support ticket is the way to go.

Thanks, agsteele. I have wasted three hours today. Deleting the old files did the trick and Tasks are now working again.

• Like 1

Everything working one day, next day tasks just won't show up .

I've done everything,  uninstall it deleted data, directories, reinstall .. nope

Download revo Uninstaller, uninstalled d, rebooted reinstall ...nope

Even my tablet won't show tasks in by note tab.  All other tabs okay. 

Web version works fine... figures

I've not sent in a support ticket yet.  I wanted to get to work and see how my work pc was.

So Monday get to work, and the work pc now doesn't show task, just spins when I'm on the task tab, or widget.

No update to this machine nothing, it's on 10.20.4  

Why does this happen?  I had this issue 2-3 revisions ago and I was instructed to log out, deleting my data and reboot and login again and that worked, then.
The same procedure isn't work, nor any of the other methods in the above comments. 

I think the evernote mascot needs to go from elephant to a monkey, cause that's all you do now is monkey around trying to get it to work consistently.

On 7/29/2021 at 6:06 PM, agsteele said:

Sounds like a support ticket is the way to go. Many others are successfully accessing task in v10.18.3 - works here just fine.

I don't wish to suggest you haven't thought this through but the good old fashioned re-boot the PC could be a solution and if not, then uninstall and completely remove all data directories then reinstall and allow EN to rebuild your data is likely to be successful. (To ensure you clean out the old installation use a program like REVO Uninstaller or just be sure that the %AppData%\Evernote and %LocalAppData%\Programs\Evernote directories are deleted after the uninstall process is complete).

I had the same problem and followed your suggestion. It works! Thanks!

• Like 2

UPDATE 9/21 - TASKS STILL DO NOT APPEAR.  Windows Client 10.21.5 (2931)

I've tried everything listed above.... Support is so slow at responding and very little actual "try this" information.

So here is my own troubling shooting.  Today I had a thought.  I have a another windows 10 machine that has NEVER had evernote installed.
So I downloaded the client from evernote's site and installed it.  Rebooted.  And logged in.  SAME ISSUE!

So, how can it be an install issue, or file issue.  I think it's one of a few things:

#1 - something in my task data the client doesn't like and halts processing of the tasks
#2 - Is my login not fully connecting everything to the servers?  (see syncing below)
#3 - a server side issue. could the google drive/file connection warning thing that is on your site be an issue?  I might have some google file references in my notes, but nothing related to tasks.

When I click on tasks and the slide out box appears no tasks, show and it just spins.  Today I noticed the wording of "SYNCING" at the top of the screen.
I cannot say I've seen this before.    (screenshot)

1990599968_InkedWORKPC_tasks_not_showing_syncing_LI.thumb.jpg.f890af9f6159913b73f551570cd3386c.jpg

Also, my android tablet works 90%. I can see flagged tasks, tasks assigned, and due date tasks.  Only the tab TASK by Notes doesn't work.

TASKs do appear properly in the Web Client at this time.

I'm waiting on support to respond, I have asked them to escalate this support ticket.   My next home brew trouble shooting is to delete all the task from my data and see what happens.  I only have 22 notes that have task, but there are maybe 50 tasks so it will not be fun.  So I will wait on support before I try that.

• Evernote Expert
6 minutes ago, Shawn Hughes said:
TASKs do appear properly in the Web Client at this time.

I'm waiting on support to respond, I have asked them to escalate this support ticket.   My next home brew trouble shooting is to delete all the task from my data and see what happens.  I only have 22 notes that have task, but there are maybe 50 tasks so it will not be fun.  So I will wait on support before I try that.

If everything is OK in the web client then that suggests that the server side data is OK.

Since the total uninstall with the deletion of the data and program folders hasn't resolved this I am stumped. This has been a good solution for almost everyone who has experienced the issue. Since you continue to experience the same thing on a different Windows PC with a clean install it suggests an account issue or, I suppose, something relating to your Internet connection such as cacheing at the provider.  But that's really a guess which I'm not really thinking is the case.

I don't think removing the tasks will do the stuff BUT you could make things easier for yourself if you moved all the notes containing tasks into a new notebook then export that notebook as an ENEX file. After the export you could delete the tasks and see what happens.  Then you could import the notebook with the task connected notes to recover them. If you had only deleted the tasks then you'd need to move the notes they were in to the Trash before restoring from the ENEX file.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, agsteele said:

I don't think removing the tasks will do the stuff BUT you could make things easier for yourself if you moved all the notes containing tasks into a new notebook then export that notebook as an ENEX file. After the export you could delete the tasks and see what happens.  Then you could import the notebook with the task connected notes to recover them. If you had only deleted the tasks then you'd need to move the notes they were in to the Trash before restoring from the ENEX file.

This is a good idea, thank you!

Any opinion of the fresh install on a new pc that has never seen evernote?  Why it would have the same tasks issue?

• Level 5

Could be a computer or local network issue (firewall, security software, something installed on both PCs), a provider/ISP issue, an EN issue.

Have you done a fresh download of the installer from the EN website ?

About software: Often people install the same antivirus on all machines, use similar extensions on browsers etc. Any of these can interfere.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Could be a computer or local network issue (firewall, security software, something installed on both PCs), a provider/ISP issue, an EN issue.

Have you done a fresh download of the installer from the EN website ?

About software: Often people install the same antivirus on all machines, use similar extensions on browsers etc. Any of these can interfere.

I always download a fresh installer.

The clean computer install is very different, it's nearly a new machine and doesn't run anything the same except for Microsoft Windows 10.   It's primary rule is a media server/streaming.  My work laptop goes between 3 different networks and isp's.    3 machines all the same problem, one being that new machine that never had evernote on it before.

Also why would anything just interfere with tasks? Why not all the notes? 

• Level 5

About the why I won't speculate. Sure there must be a reason, and when it is found, everybody will say "logical it only affects tasks".

Ever tried it on another network ?

Either use a phone for tethering (personal hotspot), or take a PC along to a public WiFi.

• 1 month later...