Export as docx

dsilvaevje

Idea

My problem: I would find it very useful to be able to convert a note into a word-document or similar text files which to my knowledge you cannot at the moment.

The proposed solution: Add a feature under the "Share" menu on a note named "Convert to file" or something like that which creates a file with your note.

• Like 5

35 replies to this idea

I think it's a Word issue... open the HTML file in a browser (designed for HTML files) and it displays perfectly. 

Open in Google Docs and Zoho Writer word processors works perfectly.

Just word... 

• Like 1

Hello all, 

I would really like for EN to be able to export directly to a Word file... I would love to use EN for structuring and writing my books, but I need to be able to convert it to an rtf or plain text or docx for sending to publishers... 

I read in earlier posts that we can export to HTML but I am not finding out how to do this anywhere... is it still possible? If so, then how please?

Thank you, 

Alix 

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, acerie said:

I read in earlier posts that we can export to HTML but I am not finding out how to do this anywhere... is it still possible? If so, then how please?

Right click on the note in whatever list view you are in and select Export Note, choose HTML.

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, acerie said:

I would really like for EN to be able to export directly to a Word file

@csihilling provided the answer for  EN > HTML

For a single note, I'd probably just use      select all, copy, paste

If you have MS Office installed, this will give to the best results.

In Evernote, share the note as an email - send it to yourself, specifically to your MS Outlook Client.

Then open this email (in Outlook) and save it as an MHT file.

Open the MHT format file with MS Word.

This way you'll keep font and images. However, the images will be too large in the word document, so you'll have to resize them.

If you export to MHT directly from Evernote, the images do not always appear when opening with MS Word.

Summary

Evernote >> email >> Outlook >> MHT >> Word

The original ask is a great one.  I am a consultant and almost all my clients use the Office Suite so I need to send note content via Word Documents.  Given the ubiquity of the Office suite this seems like minimum functionality.  Otherwise I need to use One Note to ensure compatibility which I would like to avoid.

I tried the export to HTML and Word could not read the file.  The cut and paste to a Word document results in wasted time reformatting all the information.

Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, seanthree said:

I am a consultant and almost all my clients use the Office Suite so I need to send note content via Word Documents.  Given the ubiquity of the Office suite this seems like minimum functionality. 

I also lived in a MS Word world, and most of my notes have word documents as attachments.

Mostly, I use mail to send note content; I think the format is html based and seems to work well
I also send urls which link back to the note.  This gives the receiver access to the note and any document attachments

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, mqheel said:

A must have.  Bear allows multiple exports - Markdown, HTML, PDF, RTF, Word, JPG.  Evernote is really behind the times here.  Need to allow easy export in a variety of formats.

I tried to install Bear on my Windows computer.

Um...

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, mqheel said:

A must have....Need to allow easy export in a variety of formats.

Why is that?

I use Evernote to store files of many formats (HTML, PDF, RTF, Word/Pages, JPG, Excel/Numbers, Audio, Video ...).  Basically any format.

The note format (enml/html) works for me; it's ubiquitous.

I agree. Evernote should have a simple "export to docx." There's no excuse for lacking this. When I export to html, most of the time Word cannot open it. Says the document must be corrupted. C'mon guys and gals, this is a much-needed addition to Evernote.

Agreed. I use EN for school, all of my homework, papers, notes and research is in EN. Currently I have to write it in EN, copy/paste to Word, then save. It would be great if EN could simply Export, I could skip a step. 

• Level 5*
35 minutes ago, Kruger2147 said:

I use EN for school, all of my homework, papers, notes and research is in EN.

You use an enml/html note editor for all your work???
I use the editors that are best suited for the purpose.
I use EN to store all my documents.

>>Currently I have to write it in EN, copy/paste to Word,

When I need Word format, I use MS Word.  
I store the document as an attachment to a note

2 hours ago, Kruger2147 said:

Agreed. I use EN for school, all of my homework, papers, notes and research is in EN. Currently I have to write it in EN, copy/paste to Word, then save. It would be great if EN could simply Export, I could skip a step. 

We have my son set up with the following workflow and it has served us quite well for years.

Documents are created in Google Docs (whatever format they need to be in) and then we link to them via the Google Drive integration. This allows him to edit them on the go via iPad without the headache of "copying to" whatever program it is in. Also, with the latest developments from Google on their docs platform such as being able to edit native Microsoft Office files in Google Docs with no conversion necessary, it makes so much more sense to do it this way and after testing it today it streamlined things since we didn't have to convert and then export in a certain format.

Something that you may want to look into.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

via iPad without the headache of "copying to" whatever program it is in.

I prefer to store documents as note attachments 

but I agree editing on an iPad is painful

6 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I prefer to store documents as note attachments 

but I agree editing on an iPad is a PITA

I'm with you when it comes to keeping documents in EN as attachments. However, my ASD very unorganized child didn't fair to well knowing where the correct versions were. He likes the web version better than the Windows client so he would download the attachment every time he wanted to work on it and wouldn't remember to re-upload to current version. I will never forget the day a presentation was due and I had to hunt down the correct version of the file that he had no clue which one it was. 

On 8/1/2019 at 5:12 PM, Sayre Ambrosio said:

Documents are created in Google Docs (whatever format they need to be in) and then we link to them via the Google Drive integration.

I used to do this, and love Google, my main laptop is a Chromebook. However, all of my school papers need to be in APA format, and the formatting doesn't convert right from Google Docs to Microsoft Docs. I write it up in EN, copy and paste to Word online, apply the formatting. then save the final doc as an attachment to EN. 

• Like 1

Definitely need a simple "Export to docx" feature for notes. I'm using Evernote to write a book, and it's excellent for organizing chapters and main points within the chapters. Ultimately, however, I need to put that all into a Word format. Someone suggested saving as HTML and that Word could read that, but as with a previous poster in this thread, Word couldn't open it. Are we stuck with copying and pasting each individual note?

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, jecrensh said:

I need to put that all into a Word format.

You're welcome to indicate support for this request using the vote button in the top  left corner of the discussion.  The  request has 4F2BDB6E-3BD5-475D-958B-F3B235732663.jpeg.8a7cc48bd572367b21ded35962954ee9.jpegvotes

Personally, if I need Word  format, I use MS Word instead of the Evernote editor
The documents are stored as note attachments

1 hour ago, jecrensh said:

Definitely need a simple "Export to docx" feature for notes. I'm using Evernote to write a book, and it's excellent for organizing chapters and main points within the chapters. Ultimately, however, I need to put that all into a Word format. Someone suggested saving as HTML and that Word could read that, but as with a previous poster in this thread, Word couldn't open it. Are we stuck with copying and pasting each individual note?

Have you tried scrivener? That’s what I use to write my books but I keep all research in Evernote since it allowed Evernote links to be imported and will allow you to refresh the document when changes are made in Evernote. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, jecrensh said:

Someone suggested saving as HTML and that Word could read that, but as with a previous poster in this thread, Word couldn't open it.

I suggested that, and I've had pretty good luck the few times I've done it; just tried my weekly work journal just now -- it's a big table, with an image in the header -- and it did fine.  Evernote for Windows can also print to PDF, and Word can read those as well. If and until Evernote ever provides an export to .docx, those are the options.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Kearsu said:

Evernote is a good place to start writing things and a lot of times we need to export as a Microsoft word document to better share it!!!!!

Currently Evernote supports the following export formats; .enex, ,html, .pdf
If I need a document in word processing format, I use a word processing app to create it    
Documents of any format can be stored in Evernote as a note attachment

I merged your post with an ongoing discussion fo this request

On 7/29/2021 at 6:12 AM, DTLow said:

If I need a document in word processing format, I use a word processing app to create it  

I am sure that YOU do.  However, (1) I often start something and then change my view of the best format for it - mindmaps, word documents, evernote records, an even handwritten, and (2) my intended audience can change too - something purely for me, might ultimately be shared with colleagues, students, editors and so on.  Flexibility is therefore key, so telling me to decide before I start isn't very helpful.

Yes, documents of any format can be stored as attachments, but when that happens there's little advantage to using Evernote over the usual Windows filing system - all EN is being used for is a glorified filing cabinet.

As to exporting to HTML, I have yet to do this without having to reedit the document because of the number of formatting errors and embedded characters.

Sorry, but I agree with others that an "export to DOCX" is long overdue.

• Level 5

AFAIK HTML can be opened (or maybe imported). It is another question whether the result is usable without some rework. This depends on the use case. An alternative might be export to pdf, and then extracting the text content to a word document.

EN is no word processor, the exchange of notes as files or files as notes it not in the scope. The EN editor (even more so in v10, and this is intentional) is build for fast, efficient note taking, without a lot of the bling bling MS Word brings along. Furthermore the EN data format is not page oriented - it works like a website, for each note.

If you want to use EN with Word, attach the word file to a note.

• Evernote Expert
2 hours ago, GrahamW said:

No, it cannot.

I just exported a couple of notes from Evernote as HTML. They opened in Word and appeared exactly as they looked inside the note with the exception that the font was a serif font rather than sans-serif used inside Evernote. For my notes, at least, HTML export would be more than adequate to open in Word.

Perhaps you'd like to describe the note format that you are using that isn't importing into Word. That might assist the devs in considering the use. In any case, you might get more attention to the need if you submit it as a support ticket which will be more likely to get attention than these forums.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, GrahamW said:

No, it cannot.

Well, by golly, yes it can. It's not gonna run embedded Javascript or anything like that, and it might have some problems with linked files, but you can generally open HTML documents in Word. In Windows File Explorer, right-click on the file, select "Open With...", then select "Word", if it's there. If it isn't, you select "Choose another app", and find Word from there. When you've managed that, then you should get a dialog that says "Convert File"; choose "HTML Document" and it should open in Word. It's not entirely faithful to the formatting (is that Evernote's fault, or MS's? Google Docs seems to handle it better), but the text content should be there at least...

Note that I never, not once, disagreed with the idea that docx would be a useful export target. My opinion is that HTML is probably a better cross-program format, but that's neither here nor there. Making the determination as to whether .docx would be a cost-effective export target for Evernote to provide isn't up to me, though.

Try exporting as HTML one of the Evernote templates, such as a Memorandum.  Open it in Word.

Original in Evernote

image.png.a02065b9fd773336fbbc49dff5cea0f3.png

The imported HTML in Word

image.thumb.png.79995140af17226e1b3f8c0c61110e45.png

QED - I rest my case.  If you seriously think that those two are the same then I'm afraid I recommend a visit to SpecSavers.

Regards, Graham

• Level 5

You are using a lot of formatting options in EN, options that obviously MS Word does not understand.

Sorry to tell, but you are in the wrong forum. If you want Word to correctly understand the HTML code created by EN, you need to ask MS to develop this ability. 

There is no obligation for EN to support export to a closed, proprietary, private data format labeled with „MS Word“. You can use HTML export as far as it will take you, and from there onwards you are on your own.

Or with the Word forum - QED.

No. I am sorry, but in this world of market forces, when there is a market leader it is not their job to accommodate minor actors.

There's no reason why the HTML export from EN can't be made more immediately reproducible by another HTML reader, but that isn't the point.

Microsoft is the market leader and their DOCX format sets a standard. EN needs to make sure that its exported notes can be read and reproduced faithfully by Word. There are open source tools to enable this, so it doesn't require vast amounts of expensive development time.

We don't know what the long term disposal strategy is for EN but it's not going to be helped if the existing leadership fail to engage with market leaders.

• Level 5

Right so: EN is the market leader in note taking software. These minions like MS Word should take an effort to be able to import.

Beside this irrelevancies: Running LibreOffice on my Mac - what is this W-o-r-d you are talking about ?

14 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Right so: EN is the market leader in note taking software. These minions like MS Word should take an effort to be able to import.

Beside this irrelevancies: Running LibreOffice on my Mac - what is this W-o-r-d you are talking about ?

I keep trying to get rid of Office, but every time I do, these two scary looking guys in black suits and Ray-Bans start following me around everywhere I go. 

• Haha 1