iOS widget

Programmer1001

Idea

9 replies to this idea

Agreed!

I just recently started integrating Evernote tasks in my workflow, but without an easy way to glimpse my tasks outside of the app, when I check my phone, I am afraid I would forget they are there more often.

For my needs a simple app badge counter (no idea how those are called, see picture), showing how many uncompleted task are due today and overdue would do wonders.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi0.wp.com%2Fwww.techjunkie.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F07%2Fdisable-mail-notification-badge-ios-1a.jpg%3Fresize%3D690%252C389%26ssl%3D1&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 7/28/2021 at 8:39 AM, Programmer1001 said:

It would be super helpful if there was an iOS widget for your tasks 

Yeah agreed.  Evernote used to have an iOS widget before v10.  A couple of widget options with either a note or tasks view would be great.  They don't mention it in the Release Notes, but they must be working on one.  Evernote is one of those all-star apps that Apple likes to show in their slide decks.  I can't imagine them not having something in the pipeline.

I believe that this is one of the next items on the development list - particularly now that there is an Android widget. I agree that this would be really useful - especially since there are limited options for displaying Tasks. There is still no possibility to print the tasks list, which would also be great, but in the meantime an IOS widget would enable tasks to be easily viewable. Hope this can be delivered soon!

For now setting reminders help, but there are things that are not specific to a particular time on the day.

For me the real advantage of having widgets/badges is to always have that red number constantly reminding me to open the list  every time I unlock my phone.

If they could just take what is in the current "Home" area on the Evernote products and convert them to actual widgets in iOS and I'm not talking about using shortcuts. I can use shortcuts to do some things, but it's a very limited set of operations. A note widget, a folder widget, a tasks widget etc would allow me to go directly to the part of Evernote I want to interact with, without having to launch the app (on my phone). On my Mac it may be a bit different because it's a much bigger screen and different use case. The iPad is in between and makes a great place for actual widgets as well, i.e. it's a great way to go directly to what I need to do, without my ADHD lack of focus getting in the way of a gazillion other apps, etc. The point, to me, of Apple iOS widgets (to be distinct from what Evernote calls its widgets) is to take away friction from getting a task done, i.e. go directly to what you want to do. 

I know Evernote has other ADHDers as software developers. Have them come up with use cases on how to use each device and support it. I do understand one code base for all platforms makes it easier to add features. Great, we're mostly there. So now let's add native features where they belong. There is no perfect one codebase to rule them all. There is always some amount of divergence. Now is the time for that divergence!

• Level 5

EN has not yet started to develop any OS- specific additions to the new clients. No widgets for iOS, not for Android. Nothing specific to use the powers of iPadOS, where flexible widgets have finally arrived with iPadOS 15.

Maybe they will start to add them one day. Would be a nice extension to be able to perform some activities without a need to first open the app.

Until then, it is shortcuts, or nothing.

To let EN know, use the feedback function build into the clients.

I think Evernote can have an IOS widget just like the apple reminder or notes. That would be super helpful. Now, I should open the Evernote app to check if I miss any tasks. With the help of the IOS widget of Evernote, that will be easier for me to follow up on my tasks!!!! 

• Like 1