Hello, see attached image. That's silly! I don't currently use much annotation but wanted to quickly annotate some questions on an employment contract and save for future reference. No big deal just have to use a different solution and can't trust Evernote to manage my PDF annotations at this time!PDFAnnotationFail_20210726.thumb.PNG.abe14b4fc3215292765b195643aba4f5.PNG

Absolutely not!!!

I don't think this is a beta feature anymore my friend, and the steps I took to get here are so simple that I am appalled they failed in this way. Again I only care so much because I don't do much PDF annotating, but this exposes a complete lack of testing.

Trust me dude this is a very basic use case.

• Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, david-evernote-user said:

Absolutely not!!!

I don't think this is a beta feature anymore my friend, and the steps I took to get here are so simple that I am appalled they failed in this way. Again I only care so much because I don't do much PDF annotating, but this exposes a complete lack of testing.

Trust me dude this is a very basic use case.

Everyone here are users just like you. If you don't care to help us reproduce what you're experiencing then we can't assist you. In any case, asking for the steps needed to reproduce an issue is pretty much the standard question you'll be asked by any competent support person. Sorry you're frustrated but I guess we can't help you further.

1 hour ago, agsteele said:

Everyone here are users just like you. If you don't care to help us reproduce what you're experiencing then we can't assist you. In any case, asking for the steps needed to reproduce an issue is pretty much the standard question you'll be asked by any competent support person. Sorry you're frustrated but I guess we can't help you further.

Oh I'm just making the community aware of the situation that basic PDF annotation does not work well out of the box and in some cases may cause text to FLIP upside down.

I'll reverse the request onto you and others in the community, the development team, and the QA team. It is not that hard to try fiddling around with it yourself. If you really cared enough about the possibility that there is an issue here. You will see it break immediately like I did because I literally tried with one file and it immediately flipped text upside down. And if you don't see that you'll inevitably come across some other error because if something that simple is buggy, there must be others.

Perhaps this is the wrong place to report a bug. And gently provide constructive feedback that this type of bug is absolutely unacceptable. That's all I'm trying to do. I'm on team Evernote I want the application to be a successful product, I think it's great and I recommend it to all my friends and family. I provide my feedback to suggest improvements.

Text flipping upside down is such an incredibly basic thing that should not happen. It indicates a systematic error somewhere in the software, data file standards, or QA process.

I pay money for a product that is well tested in most other features and that's great, but CLEARLY not well tested in this feature set. That is my experience, I am reporting it here, and I strongly recommend the QA team do a better job of catching this kind of problem. Again no big deal I'm not that mad about it, but I have a perfectly valid reason to report that there is some instability in this feature set and someone should play around with it a lot more and address the issues.

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

@david-evernote-user Given the tone of your reply, I doubt we are friends, we are for sure no dudes, and that is it.

No input, no solution.

PinkElephant ditto, please read the above response. I do not take kindly to being told I have to provide procedures to replicate this. I am pointing out an area that needs to be further tested.

This type of bug is something that 100% is the responsibility of the QA team to catch during alpha testing. I am not an alpha tester. I am a paying customer who expects basic things (such as text being displayed upright) to work out of the box.

Thankfully most features work correctly in Evernote on Web and Windows, and I am very pleased. It is just this PDF annotation item which again I don't use often, but would like to have as an option for when I do need it.

The more I come across such absolutely basic software misbehaviors, the less I trust the application and the more likelihood I will stop being a paying customer.

Just now, david-evernote-user said:

PinkElephant ditto, please read the above response. I do not take kindly to being told I have to provide procedures to replicate this. I am pointing out an area that needs to be further tested.

This type of bug is something that 100% is the responsibility of the QA team to catch during alpha testing. I am not an alpha tester. I am a paying customer who expects basic things (such as text being displayed upright) to work out of the box.

Thankfully most features work correctly in Evernote on Web and Windows, and I am very pleased. It is just this PDF annotation item which again I don't use often, but would like to have as an option for when I do need it.

The more I come across such absolutely basic software misbehaviors, the less I trust the application and the more likelihood I will stop being a paying customer.

And I'm not out here complaining and making bad press for Evernote, I'm simply reporting my findings to the team and the non-public community.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, ChristianJB said:

I've seen this flipping text "only" in this annotation summary list (can be switched off), but never in the PDF itself ...

I've seen it in attached Excel files on the Mac client.  Strangely, scrolling to a content free section of the spreadsheet and then scrolling back corrects it.