Can't upgrade to higher plan because I used points?

This doesn't make any sense to me. I was migrated to the new Personal plan recently. After looking over the new plan details, I would like to upgrade to the Professional plan. However, I have been unable to do that. I keep getting an error. So I submitted a ticket and have been told that because I used some points to upgrade my account in the past, I have to wait until that plan upgrade expires in 2023 before I am able to upgrade to a higher plan again. So let me understand this. I am trying to give Evernote more money on a monthly basis and I am unable to do so because I used some points? It doesn't make any sense to me. But I have now been told twice that I can't do so. Does anyone know if there is any workaround to this? Here is a copy of the actual text from the email I received from Evernote support. 

It appears that your Premium subscription is migrated to Personal. However, you used points to upgrade your account 5/31/2021, and it will be valid until 11/8/2023.

Since you used points to upgrade the account, upgrading the account will not be completed. Due to system limits, we are unable to complete the upgrade, and you will need to wait until your account downgrades to Free membership to complete the upgrade.

Hoping for your kind understanding about the matter.

Sincerely,

Yasser G.

Customer Support

Representative

His previous reply;

I wanted to let you know that your account is currently unable to complete this upgrade because it is set using a gift code. Due to system limits, we are unable to complete the upgrade, and you will need to wait until your account downgrades to Free membership to complete the upgrade.

Hoping for your kind understanding about the matter.

Sincerely,

Yasser G.

Customer Support

Representative

• Level 5*

Whilst I agree that it is terminally dumb for a company to make it hard for customers to pay them money,  the situation seems pretty clean-cut.  Because of some limitation of their account system,  they can't change your account from personal to professional access to their system until August '23.  AFAICS there wouldn't be a 'work around' for that situation.

If there's some aspect of the professional level of account that you particularly need,  maybe we can suggest ways to achieve the same end using a personal account?

You could ask Support to bounce this up to a supervisor as a complaint,  but I don't know whether they will be able to find any compromise...

• Like 1

I’m honestly not even sure how or why I used these “points“ he’s talking about. Although I’ve been a member for many, many years, I don’t know where you get points from. I believe that I wanted to try something that was available in the Premium plan and when I went to upgrade, the system used these points that I had accumulated somehow in order to pay for the upgrade. I can’t imagine how that affects anything to do with wanting to upgrade again. It seems to me that the points or “gifts” would be just like an exchange for paying with money. And by the way, I’m actually locked out all the way until November 2023 before he says I’m able to change my plan again. So for 2 and 1/2 years I’m locked into a plan? And only then by allowing it to downgrade me to a free plan does he say I can upgrade again? Why would I do that? Couldn’t I possibly lose some data or features if I were to allow my plan to be downgraded to the free plan?

There are a number of things that I am wanting to use in the Professional plan. Including geolocation and the Slack integration. 

Thanks.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, The Pawnbroker said:

This doesn't make any sense to me.

I tested the upgrade process and I'm also locked out of upgrade to Professional

Your subscription is currently canceled and your account is not eligible for upgrade at this time. Please contact customer support if you require assistance.

My subscription is currently active (Personal tier) but automatic renewal is cancelled   
I have not followed up with Support

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, The Pawnbroker said:

Couldn’t I possibly lose some data or features if I were to allow my plan to be downgraded to the free plan?

No.  All your data is saved at the server,  whether or not you have the ability to actually edit it - notes above the rather low free account maximum size forinstance would effectively be locked.  However you can still download the content,  and in any event your 'basic' account status would only last as long as it takes them to process your payment.  Given that the new levels only just came into existence,  and the fact that Evernote seems not to handle large-scale changes that well,  these account queries may only be teething issues anyway. 

AFAIK you'll be able to get a slack integration as a personal user (I tried it for a while but don't use Slack enough to make it useful) but geolocation is an issue.  There are (probably) workarounds - it's easy enough to embed Google Maps or What3Words keywords in your text,  though searching is dependent on what degree of granularity you'd need in finding notes.

I'd recommend pursuing the complaint angle - I agree with you; it's ridiculous to be locked out of an upgrade for over 2 years because of an offer code!

• Like 1

The upgrade process seems a bit broken. I raised a similar issue with the chat support team. They took a look and could see that something wasn't right, but needed a higher level of support team to rectify it. In the end the head of the billing team worked their magic and fixed it. It seems my account hadn't been ported to the new billing system that the new packages use. Your issue may be the same. Drop them an email and see.

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...

The upgrade process seems a bit broken. I raised a similar issue with the chat support team.

I'd recommend pursuing the complaint angle - I agree with you; it's ridiculous to be locked out of an upgrade for over 2 years because of an offer code!

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, anthony423 said:

The upgrade process seems a bit broken. I raised a similar issue with the chat support team.

You're responding to a several-months-old post which confirms that Support sorted out the issue,  presumably to the satisfaction of the user.  Complaints at this late stage would be both pointless and ridiculous.

• Level 5

Regarding the points, it was even years ago only possible to use them when letting the account downgrade to Free first.

We have to remember that EN discontinued the points issuance several years ago. They still honor them, but we should not expect this to be a fully automatic process, since it is at the far end of a long deceased program. Other companies would probably tell the program is over since more than 5 years, and that’s it.

However, I had no problem then to downgrade, use up my points, downgrade again and subscribe back to Premium. My account was converted to Personal without any fuss last summer.

• Level 5

Just a hypothesis: Somebody needs to tell the billing system how much a point is worth. If I remember it correctly it was 10 points for a month of Premium.

Probably nobody did this for the the new plans, since they did not issue any new points for a long time.

I would ask support for an individual solution.

21 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Just a hypothesis: Somebody needs to tell the billing system how much a point is worth. If I remember it correctly it was 10 points for a month of Premium.

Probably nobody did this for the the new plans, since they did not issue any new points for a long time.

I would ask support for an individual solution.

Support will give the same answer about a different system and points not being able to be used. I've been there done that. I do believe you are right on the amount that was needed for premium though. I think the disconnect is that the newer plan is a different price than what the points were issued for. Easy enough to figure out the math but maybe not easy on the backend to convert with the processing? I don't know. I just know that I'm good for a while either way lol.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Yes, the math is pretty easy (would be something like 12 or 13 points a month for Professional). But I think it is the coding into the billing software that probably is missing. I am not sure about the fine print of the points action - usually a conversion into money is excluded there.

Thus I think a manual intervention by support may be the only way now to make any use of them.