Buy two divorces, get one free! (Tasks vs. Notes)

Randy Zeitman

Idea

I use Things3 for tasks.

I'd like to use Evernote instead so you folks finally (thanks!) implemented this new 'Evertask' feature which I am happy to pay $10 a month for *if it doesn't interrupt the workflow of Evernote*.

But it does. You have these tasks being treated as notes but how many people want a task to be a note?
Who needs notes that has a title of "Buy Milk" or "Get frequent divorce club card stamped" (one more for a freebie!) because they're headed for the Trash!

Most notes are long-term notes.

So why not give me that choice ... let me create a task that is just a task ... or let me create a task that is also a note. (I would never do the latter but just the same it clearly has its place.)

And even let me convert them ... which of course Things3 does well and it certainly gets used.

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5

It is by design: A task always need a note as it’s home. If no note is assigned, there is this „Tasks home note“ created when tasks is activated on an account.

But you can put more than one task into a note, it can be many of them. Translated from Things you can create a note where in Things is a project, and put several tasks into it.

Up to now I don’t see EN tasks replacing Things 3 for me. But never say never …

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Randy Zeitman said:

how many people want a task to be a note?

That's my process - each task becomes a note
To Do lists are simply a list of notes

>>because they're headed for the Trash!

I don't delete my task/notes
They're tagged as completed, so easy to omit from lists

8 hours ago, Randy Zeitman said:

You have these tasks being treated as notes but how many people want a task to be a note?

I do, and many who use Evernote would likely too. The fact I can use meeting templates and add tasks into them and have these all in one place is awesome. This feature may not be useful for you but it doesn’t mean it’s useless. As I understand it there is a default folder you can add your tasks to, why not use that and leave your notes free? 
Or maybe EN can add an auto delete feature on tasks? When completed it’s deleted from note, tho I would hope such a feature is user enabled cause it would ruin my use :) 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Randy Zeitman said:

So why not give me that choice ... let me create a task that is just a task

You have a default Task note that you can put tasks into “Things To Do”. You do not need to make each task it’s own note. If you create a task with the quick action while not in a note the task defaults into the single note. 

"They're tagged as completed, so easy to omit from lists."

So every time you search or list you have to omit that tag? (tagging is a similar purpose to trashing ... removing it because it's done).

"You have a default Task note that you can put tasks into “Things To Do”. You do not need to make each task it’s own note. If you create a task with the quick action while not in a note the task defaults into the single note. "

Ok... that's fair ... I'll go that way.
I *DO* want Evernote/Evertask to replace Things3... one capture tool.

So I will make a Stack of tasks and each notebook a project.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, Randy Zeitman said:

So every time you search or list you have to omit that tag?

My task lists are more focussed on Active or Dated tasks   
Other task status tags include; Pending, Next Action, Completed, Dropped, Someday/Maybe

>>So I will make a Stack of tasks and each notebook a project.

I use a tag to link tasks in a project; tag Project-aaaaaaaaaaa  

Any note has the potential to be actionable (a task)