Suggestion

Lilian Silva

Idea

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, Lilian Silva said:

Hi, I would like to suggest a feature (I don't know if it already exists) but I think it's cool to have the option to duplicate notebook. Thanks.

OK I'm intrigued... why?  "Duplicate Notes" already exists,  so in a pinch you could create a new notebook MyNotebook2 (the app won't allow you to have two notebooks with the same name,  which would be... confusing) then select all the notes in MyNotebook1 and duplicate to MyNotebook2.  But again why?  You now have two copies of everything,  and the chance that you'll alter one note in future,  but then forget to alter its duplicate.  If you want to share the notebook with someone,  why not use 'share',  or if you want to backup your notes,  export that notebook to ENEX or HTML (or anything else available) and restore it completely if necessary.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
18 hours ago, Lilian Silva said:

Hi, I would like to suggest a feature (I don't know if it already exists) but I think it's cool to have the option to duplicate notebook. Thanks.

It might be useful to add example user cases   
Personally, I basically use a single notebook and don't need this feature   

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, eric_on_evernote said:

There is actually an extremely simple and yet obvious use case for this, and it baffles me as to how you guys couldn't come of with it on your own: Backup copy.

On 7/23/2021 at 4:48 PM, gazumped said:

or if you want to backup your notes,  export that notebook to ENEX or HTML (or anything else available) and restore it completely if necessary.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, eric_on_evernote said:

Backup copy.

Not really a "duplicate" function   
I run weekly data backups using the export feature; a separate export for each notebook

• Level 5

One can discuss if a backup is really necessary in case of a massive cloud service like EN.

But if one decides it is a good idea, there are several ways to achieve it. Most work based on a legacy installation. One is to run an export job (script) to export every notebook to an ENEX file. Another is to grab the data(base) file / folder legacy keeps on the local drive, and put it to a backup drive or server.

With v10 I haven’t read about a good local backup solution yet.