[Feature Released in Version 10.20] Please STOP closing a note with horizontal swipe

ABEN

Idea

62 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Funny - I can swipe left and right and nothing happens.This on the iPad.

On the iPhone I can swipe as well - only when I go to the far left edge of the screen, and then swipe to the right, it takes me back to the prior view. This is, if I am not mistaken, iOS standard.

Odd...

For me it happens almost all the time...

Do you have a Plus/Max iPhone or the normal size?

It may be iOS standard, but Apple Notes for example does NOT have horizontal swipe for closing a note... so I think, they were aware, that closing a note via horizontal swipe is not the best solution for most users and so they decided to close a not only with the Back Button in the top left corner (which I hope Evernote will give us this solution as well).

• Like 3

Okay 👍🏻 

Nevertheless, I hope they give us the option to disable horizontal swipe...

I generally find that Evernote is still lacking in giving the user individual choices in the settings.

Starting with note-title or with the note-body is a perfect example...

In which order the user wants to have the sections displayed in the left sidebar is another...

Or now this setting option, how to close a note...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

The swipe looks to me as an iOS standard.

With options one must remember that each option must be be reflected in the program code, to make the option effective. Every option means EN will be slower on loading and on execution. Each option may look like a bright idea, the sum of it all can take a disastrous toll on performance.

On 8/1/2021 at 2:16 PM, Bozeepro said:

I am using android and this swipe is irritating. I have long documents that I skim through and accidently while swiping down it throws me to the main note section. It's frustrating and annoying. I hope evernote adds a feature to turn it off.

Thank you! I'm glad others are seeing it as well 🙌🏻

It would be best, if you also send another message to the Evernote Support-Team, so that again more attention is drawn to this issue and it gets fixed as soon as possible!

• Like 4

I am having the same problem on Android. I also submitted a ticket to the Evernote Support team. They suggested I uninstall and reinstall Evernote. I tried that, but it didn't solve the problem. Extremely frustrating. Ruins the user experience if I can't scroll through a long note. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Yep, same issue on Android Pixel. Horizontal swipe is so sensitive that swiping vertically has to be done with ridiculous care. Especially on web clip content which typically has embedded LR scroll bar and other Eclip formatted html oddness. Doing image zooms etc is almost useless.

Evernote, gawd I love ya but this needs to be addressed soonest. Give me the option to turn it off. It's the kind of thing that makes me want to slam my phone against concrete surfaces.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am having this issue on Android, too. A downward swipe that is ever so slightly diagonal closes the note. Very frustrating when it happens over and over. I have no need for this swipe function and would be much happier if I could just turn it off, as others have mentioned. Unfortunately, I cannot submit a ticket, hence this comment.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The swipe is iOS standard, as posted above.

As you may know, there is extensive beta testing, both by Apple and Evernote.

If you don’t like the result, issue a support ticket.

Maybe the sensitivity just needs to be changed. My experience isn't as you describe in your earlier message, reaching all the way to one side and swiping across. If while scrolling up thumb moves even slightly to the right (which it does because that's the natural movement of the thumb around it's joint on the hand) the note closes. At this sensitivity it is nothing like the iOS (or Google Pixel) standard gesture.

Have indeed issued a support ticket. They recommend just sending feedback through to developers, which I also have. 

• Like 1

Android (Moto G7 Plus) user here, and the swipe is super sensitive.  It makes it very difficult to scroll through a note without accidentally triggering it to close the note.   Huge problem in large notes, because you lose your place, which then requires scrolling back through the note, which might trigger it to close again.

• Like 3

Surely it's a bug (at least on Android). I have a note with a table, and once I've scrolled right (even a centimeter), there's no way to scroll left... no matter how slowly or carefully... it closes the note and goes back to "Home". 

I've also noticed (again on Android) that there's a lot of "momentum" when scrolling through a table... like, I'll tap and drag to scroll the screen, and when I release my finger, the screen keeps scrolling slowly the same direction for ever....

• Like 2
On 8/10/2021 at 11:02 PM, Diego Nogueira said:

Yes.. it's annoying on Android..

On 8/11/2021 at 1:03 AM, FragmentalStew said:

Android (Moto G7 Plus) user here, and the swipe is super sensitive.  It makes it very difficult to scroll through a note without accidentally triggering it to close the note.   Huge problem in large notes, because you lose your place, which then requires scrolling back through the note, which might trigger it to close again.

On 8/11/2021 at 6:09 AM, T1mTam said:

Surely it's a bug (at least on Android). I have a note with a table, and once I've scrolled right (even a centimeter), there's no way to scroll left... no matter how slowly or carefully... it closes the note and goes back to "Home". 

I've also noticed (again on Android) that there's a lot of "momentum" when scrolling through a table... like, I'll tap and drag to scroll the screen, and when I release my finger, the screen keeps scrolling slowly the same direction for ever....

Thank you for seeing it the same way...

As mentioned above, I hope you will also send a support ticket to Evernote, so hopefully the frustration will end soon!

Same on Android, Samsung S21. This wasn't as noticeable a while back, probably a bug. Disproportionately huge impact on entire experience of reading and editing notes. 

It seems that even if I slowly try to undo the accidental and frequent back swipe (while holding tap), it doesn't matter - if the previous note menu has appeared by even a sliver, it automatically exits the note.

So in addition to the actual swipe initiation sensitivity, a confirmation mechanism (do you really want to exit?) is most likely calibrated in an unintended way (no confirmation necessary, let's get you out of here) in the current version of the app. 

• Like 3

Same annoying swipe issue on Android / Samsung S20 FE 5G!
How can I read documents with tables if any attempt to scroll the table results in Evernote closing the note!!!

Someone clearly did not think through this - either UX or DEVs failed to inform the Product about this quirk..... sometimes I wonder who is designing and developing Evernote.

• Like 1

I'm using on a Motorola one action, and now on a Samsung Tab A7 Android on both devices, Android has a swipe funcion that works way better than evernote's.

Please, I want to be able to freely swipe my notes without needing to enter edit mode...

I've submitted a support request about this issue. It's extremely irritating. I thought I was annoyed by the inability to have the app open immediately with my list of notes rather than the home screen, but this swiping thing has rendered the app almost completely useless for my needs.

I agree there needs to be a way to disable this 'feature' on android.

• Like 1

Thank god I'm not the only one bothered by this! I keep my doctor's appointment notes,  and while talking to the doctor about my condition, just trying to scroll down kept  causing the note to close. It infuriated me at that moment. 

• Like 1

I use Android and the 'swipe to close' is absolutely infuriating when you are trying to read a note that is too wide to fit in the viewport. It's just bad UX.

Honestly, every time I use the new app I find another reason to give up and use something else.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Barbie-qu said:

I use Android and the 'swipe to close' is absolutely infuriating when you are trying to read a note that is too wide to fit in the viewport. It's just bad UX.

Honestly, every time I use the new app I find another reason to give up and use something else.

Thank you for seeing it the same way...

As mentioned above, I hope you will also send a support ticket to Evernote, so hopefully the frustration will end soon!

I find it absolutely incomprehensible that this problem is still not fixed.
It is now know for >1,5 month. The support ticket is leading me nowhere.
OP Aben described the bug perfectly and it should be able to be fixed easily.

I think i'm going to switch to another Note-app. Heard good reviews on 'Notion'.

50 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Switch, if it suits your needs better. Wish you success.

The swipe is standard iOS behavior, found in many apps, just BTW.

Only problem with Notion is that the conversion from Evernote is not flawless yet, the Notion-team is still working on a better solution (tables, images en attachments don't convert very well at the moment).

As for your comment on iOS; you're clearly not aware of the exact problem on android. Offcourse, swiping to intentionally close a function is found in many apps.
I've just tested Evernote on an iOS device and it works better then on android. If you intentionally swipe to close, the note closes, although it's still a bit to sensitive.
The problem on android is that the swiping is set sò sensitive, that just one micrometer / pixel of movement to the right causes closure of the note. Therefore constant unintentional closure happens. 
Again; this is not a feature. It's a bug. 

Well maybe it was intended as a feature, but it's set way to sensitive.
It really is very unprofessional that a bug like this makes its way into a final version.

• Like 2

For all you Android-brothers out here; I found a decent solution.

Uninstall the App and install an older version of Evernote. I'm now on 10.5.1 and it works like a charm.
Even the annoying homescreen was not introduced in this version. Win win!
The older APK can be found on: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/evernote-corporation/evernote/evernote-10-5-1-release/
(don't forget to turn off automatic updates in the Play store).

• Like 1
3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Switch, if it suits your needs better. Wish you success.

The swipe is standard iOS behavior, found in many apps, just BTW.

The swipe may be iOS standard, but compare for example the sensitivity of Apple Settings and horizontal swipe in Evernote.

In Apple Settings you have to put your thumb much more on the left side of the screen to trigger this swipe function at all... and it's not as sensitive as in Evernote.

And also this way too sensitive function reacts EVERYWHERE on the screen in Evernote!

And even if you accidentally trigger this function and try to scroll down more carefully the next time, it often will be triggered again, even though you already tried to scroll down carefully, because like I said it's just way too sensitive and reacts everywhere on the screen. 

(Even sometimes when I just try to press the 'expand note button' in the top left corner this function reacts...)

It's just frustrating.

I'm a web developer myself and this is actually just one line of code to turn this ‚feature‘ off… so I hope Evernote will use their products themselves for once, recognize it and change it as soon as possible. 🙏🏻
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, ABEN said:

The swipe may be iOS standard, but compare for example the sensitivity of Apple Settings and horizontal swipe in Evernote.

In Apple Settings you have to put your thumb much more on the left side of the screen to trigger this swipe function at all... and it's not as sensitive as in Evernote.

And also this way too sensitive function reacts EVERYWHERE on the screen in Evernote!

Agreed, it's not about "swipe" as a gesture, being a good idea or a bad one. It's just too @#$% sensitive.

• Thanks 1

I just heard back from the support team. The support team said that the product team is aware of this issue and isn't planning on doing anything about it but they are tracking it. 

If you think this issue is annoying I rec opening up a support ticket. Sounds like if enough people open up support tickets they will resolve this issue. 

• Thanks 2
  • Level 5

Don‘t have a problem on iOS devices- and this thread is in the iOS subforum.

If there is a problem on Android (which I assume from the heated exchange here), open your „own“ thread. It does not help other users if information is hidden somewhere in the forum, under a false flag.

In iOS, your finger should be close to the left edge of the screen for a swipe to the right to trigger going back to a previous view.

Try swiping to the right with any iOS stock app starting the swipe from the right half of the screen. It won't go back...

In Evernote you can place your finger on the right half of the screen and swipe further to the right and it goes back to the the previous note or list. I don't think this is standard iOS behavior.

Edit:

https://learnui.design/blog/ios-design-guidelines-templates.html

METHOD OF NAVIGATING BACK CONTEXT IN WHICH IT WORKS
Tap “Back” action on top-left of screen Any screen on which a “Back" action appears
Swipe right from left edge of screen Any screen on which a “Back” action appears
  • Level 5

Don’t understand the lecture.

If you go back to the initial post of this thread, it claims you couldn’t scroll in tables in notes because the swipe would be too sensitive.

If stick to the initial request and try this on EN iOS 10.16, the problem does not exist. 

Case closed.

• Level 5

My remark above was about posts in this thread (opened and posted in the iOS subforum) that explicitly mention EN for Android.

Maybe they are OK (I don’t use Android), but they post in the wrong subforum. And hijacking iOS threads to discuss Android issues does not help neither.

22 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

My remark above was about posts in this thread (opened and posted in the iOS subforum) that explicitly mention EN for Android.

Maybe they are OK (I don’t use Android), but they post in the wrong subforum. And hijacking iOS threads to discuss Android issues does not help neither.

Dude, calm your titties and calm your attitude. 

This forum is the first hit on google when you search the problem. So it is understandable people from both operating systems find this forum and not check the subforum.
Nontheless: both iOS and android users have the same problem due to a sensitive trigger on the swipe-function.
YOU do not seem to have the problem, so why even bother to react? 

We are supposed to help eachtoher here. 

I'll make a request to an Admin to move the discussion to a more general (not iOS specific) subforum.
Will that make the angry iOS-Elephant happy?

• Level 5

No problem with anybody posting in the forum. But it should be done in a way other users can access the information.

Going to a thread straight by Google, dropping information bits without looking where they will land is not the way this forum is organized.

Personally I am happy iOS and Android is kept separate. There is a lot of problems  with Android that does not apply to the iOS client. 

2 hours ago, Stephan23 said:

Dude, calm your titties and calm your attitude. 

This forum is the first hit on google when you search the problem. So it is understandable people from both operating systems find this forum and not check the subforum.
Nontheless: both iOS and android users have the same problem due to a sensitive trigger on the swipe-function.
YOU do not seem to have the problem, so why even bother to react? 

We are supposed to help eachtoher here. 

I'll make a request to an Admin to move the discussion to a more general (not iOS specific) subforum.
Will that make the angry iOS-Elephant happy?

Agreed, I'm tired of getting emails in this monitored thread about iOS this and iOS that BS - worthless chatter in yet another worthless forum. If there is actually an admin here which I doubt - it's a simple matter of migrating the thread to - for those who need their world neatly cellophane wrapped - where it needs to be.

Case closed.

For myself I'm done with you Evernote. Currently working on migrating my data over to OneNote - yeah I'm not much of an MS fan either but the platform wins online reviews against EV and gosh the price is right. Really thought you would pull yourself together after that 2016 debacle but it's not to be.

I"ll post up a screenshot of of my cancelation as a final kiss off.

Hugs

J

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

If you go back to the initial post of this thread, it claims you couldn’t scroll in tables in notes because the swipe would be too sensitive.

The initial post states this:

On 7/22/2021 at 3:29 PM, ABEN said:

because you CANNOT work with tables inside a note or just scroll down normally, because the horizontal swipe is very sensitive and every time you swipe horizontally inside the note, table, etc. or scrolling down, the note gets closed by this horizontal swipe

The right swipe -- as is working in EN on iOS right now -- is contributing to the very problem mentioned in the very initial post of this thread.

Sometimes when trying to scroll to the left content of the table from the *right* side of the note it will close the note. This is not standard iOS behavior -- to issue a "go back" when swiping to the right from the *right* side of the phone.

And when scrolling down, it's also possible to close the note because EN on iOS issues a "go back" when swiping any kind of horizontal movement to the right from anywhere on the phone -- not just the left edge.

Yes, the title of the post is worded poorly. It shouldn't say "Please STOP closing a note with horizontal swipe", rather it should say "Please STOP closing a note with a horizontal swipe from the right side of a note when trying to scroll to the left content in the table" or perhaps "don't close a note when swiping to the right from the right side of the phone".

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Maybe it is poorly worded. It is posted in the iOS subforum. For Android users another thread in the Android subforum would be better than simply adding to an iOS discussion, now zigzagging between the mobile platforms.

A discussion about iOS can continue here.

To which I simply added the observation that I can’t reproduce the initially posted problem using EN iOS 10.16. Notes and tables inside of them are perfectly scrollable without a risk of accidentally closing them with a swipe.

59 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Notes and tables inside of them are perfectly scrollable without a risk of accidentally closing them with a swipe.

☝Only when you are in Edit-Mode…

In View-Mode closing a note through horizontal left-to-right-swipe happens almost all the time in tables on my iPhone 8 Plus & iPad Pro 2018… (like on Android).

I simply don’t know why this problem occurs only on our side and not on your side @PinkElephant?

This is a problem the EN-Developers need to address, because as (you can see) many iOS- and Android-Users are frustrated by this ‚feature‘.

• Level 5

Just ran a few tests again (iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 14.7.1, EN iOS 10.16). Note with text and tables, edit mode, view mode, edit protect mode (settings) activated and off, set on the note body and on a large (scrollable) table.

1. I could only observe something like it was described here when the „edit protect mode“ was switched on (my standard setting is „off“).
  2. I could only get to it when placing my finger really on the left edge of the screen, resting it there for a moment (like giving it a second time to catch the position) and then swipe. This created a „back swipe“ to leave the note, instead of a viewing movement in the note itself. To get the swipe mode, I really had to focus on that additional moment to get it, usually I maybe swipe too fast to call it.
  3. In tables I can scroll as I want, left, right, up, down, view mode, table mode, text mode, it only scrolls the table view.

My conclusions:

Maybe something got improved during releases, and it was more sensitive in older versions. No chance to reproduce this.

And then it may depend on the individual movement pattern of the user. Probably some are more prone to observe this than others.

If my test is correct, it should help to switch the „edit protect“ mode off.

Maybe you could give it a try yourself.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

If my test is correct, it should help to switch the „edit protect“ mode off.

Maybe you could give it a try yourself.

I had the Edit-protect mode off the whole time but oddly enough: After turning it on and then off again, it seems that horizontal-scrolling through a table works better now!

The problem is still sometimes there but it occurs not so often anymore and it is not as sensitive as before.

So, maybe turning Edit-protect mode ,off -> on -> off‘ is a little workaround for others as well?!

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Sounds good !

Thanks for posting. You as thread owner could mark it as solution. Makes it easier for others to find it.

It works only a little better within the tables... the problem with scrolling down and with the sensitivity remains.

And one thing I've learned as a web developer is, that just because it works for you, doesn't mean it will work for everyone else... that's why the phrase: "It works for me / I don't have that problem." doesn't have so much meaning IMO.

It has to work for many and it doesn't seem to do that here yet. That's why I think it's still more than necessary that the EN-Developers take a closer look at the problem, instead of just saying that they don't want to change anything.

• Level 5

Maybe they tested it and got the same impression like I: That it works pretty well.

You could try to grab a screen video showing the dynamic of what happens.

It could be that the model plays a role, although I would expect the older, less powerful hardware to react slower than my relatively new iPhone.

I am having the same problem on my ipad pro 11”.  I never noticed it until I started getting really long notes.  Now I can’t swipe upwards through really long notes without triggering the go back to previous view.  The problem is that it doesn’t seem consistent and it is driving me crazy.  My finger is nowhere near the sides of the ipad at all and yet when I scroll up it goes to the previous screen.  Some sensitivity setting is set way too high.

Interestingly I don’t get this on my ipad pro 9.7”.  Only on my 2021 11” ipad pro.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You may not be the only one, but on the other hand not everybody has this same problem. I run EN iOS on a number of devices, and I don't have the problem. Even when trying to reproduce it from what was posted here, I hardly ever get something that reminds of that issue.

Probably there is an additional factor that leads to the problem. From what I have seen her in the forum, we still don't know what makes some iOS and Android devices behave like that, and others don't show any sign of the same behavior.

Conclusion: It is still necessary to feed support with tickets - maybe they can find a pattern after all.

• Like 1

I also find this slightly annoying on my iPad. How about if instead of swiping from anywhere, you could just swipe from the edge of the screen to go back? I think that could be a good compromise, keeping the gesture but making it less sensitive.

I also think that the function of closing with swipe should be disabled when my finger is on tables.

When I want to see the tables on smartphone, I always copy sharing link and then open it on my browser.

I also find this feature very frustrating. The only way I have found to prevent it is to tap on the nut to enter editing mode then the swipe feature doesn't exit,  but then I only read through the note with half my phone screen and run the risk of editing when I don't want to. 

Please please please either remove the feature or allow it to be toggled off. It is not at all helpful